Solo-on-a-Scooter Live at WDW 11/26/12-12/12/12 - Page 14 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #196 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Another great AK day ! I'm a little concerned about the line ups for the Candlelight processional. Your dinner looked delicious.

Reunion with Snowbirds 2012
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...snowbirds.html
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise
We're off to our Magical 1st cruise
My Previous Tripswdw April 2005 POFQ, April 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 CBR, Feb 2010 AKL, CSR Dec 2012
rlb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #197 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Smile

I love learning about the creative ways they come up with to treat the animals. The 1-liter bottle trick to anaesthetize the stork is so ingenious! And you have taken some great photos. The one of the tiger paws is so sweet. Sounds like you still have nice weather, despite a couple of sprinkles!
yo ho yo ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #198 (permalink)

Sorry Miss Laurie, I'm a day late. I had JG (DS) with me yesterday, and after work, Rae and I took him and Elizabeth (DD) to the park; so I didn't get a chance to log on and read about the Peaches and the procedure. I did snap some photos of the computer screen (tiger procedure) w/my phone and sent them to Rae. She hasn't responded yet, but I know she will enjoy them.

The amazing things that modern medicine can do, rebuilding a birds beak...wow, that really is cool. Enjoying your TR Ma'am, looking forward to more.

My Countdown Counting down to: February 13, 2015 Rachel and I get away from here for the weekend
77 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes
My Previous TripsPOFQ...2007, Allstar Movie Resort ....2012

Last edited by Charlie97; 12-02-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Charlie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #199 (permalink)

Rae just responded Miss Laurie, She loved them!!!!!!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: February 13, 2015 Rachel and I get away from here for the weekend
77 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes
My Previous TripsPOFQ...2007, Allstar Movie Resort ....2012
Charlie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #200 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 5
I'm all caught up, 2 more wonderful days gone by. Your trip is going too fast! The tiger procedure was pretty amazing to see, those paws were huge. Your dinner looked great, but I agree, it did look like a small portion.

Baby's First Trip to the World TR
My Countdown Counting down to: Baby on Board!
Baby has arrived!
My Previous TripsWDW FW July 1987, All Star Resort Nov 2000, BWV Oct 2001, BWV Oct 2002, OKW Feb 2003, OKW Oct 2003, BWV Apr 2004, BWV Nov 2004, OKW Oct 2005, CSR May 2006, OKW June 2007, SSR June 2008, BWV Jan 2011, BWV Dec 2011 DCL April 2012 DVC HHR May 2010 DVC Conciere Collection - Kapalua Bay Hotel Maui March 2002, March 2004 DVC RCI exchange Maui - Nov 2008
num1DVCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #201 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Another great day and meal Laurie!
They just keep coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Wonderful Peaches is feeling better!

I have really been enjoying your updates, and the detailed descriptions of the AK procedures. Great pictures too! It's amazing how those bird beaks can be rebuilt, and very awesome for them it can be done.

Yeah, I've never understood people standing in the CP line for hours if they have the dining package. We always get that, stand in line no more than 30 minutes (typically ending up getting in line somewhere near Morocco or further back), and always get a seat (and usually a pretty good one at that). I will say Whoopi does generate a crowd, so I imagine that was the reason for the large number of folks at Epcot.

So glad you have been enjoying terrific weather!
I hope the long lines can be chalked up to the Whoopi effect! I'm headed to Epcot tonight for Illuminations, so I'll take a look at the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantJoe View Post
I'm happy that you were able to see the tiger procedure. I've had the privilege of being part of a few big cat procedures (largely due to my slightly larger size, coupled with flexibilty). They are all so impressive. It's incredible how muscular even a captive tiger or lion can be. AK does an awesome job at providing the disney magic and cultivating a stonger understanding of the natural world. The details from exhibit design andi plant selection, to animal care and conservation programs are second to none. I really appreciate reading your trip reports. Much like everone I can't what for your next post.
So true-- the conservation message gets through and you're surrounded by beauty and healthy animals in enriching habitats. Anyone who goes through this park and takes the time to notice can't help but be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Oh wow, it's absolutely fascinating reading all about the procedures, especially Peaches, and seeing it too. I so wish we could've been there to see those "tiger feet" for ourselves!
I hope there'll be something amazing for you to watch on our Rafiki day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb38 View Post
Another great AK day ! I'm a little concerned about the line ups for the Candlelight processional. Your dinner looked delicious.
Those lines are insane. If you have a package, I'd say just go a bit before your package time. You're guaranteed a seet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo ho yo ho View Post
I love learning about the creative ways they come up with to treat the animals. The 1-liter bottle trick to anaesthetize the stork is so ingenious! And you have taken some great photos. The one of the tiger paws is so sweet. Sounds like you still have nice weather, despite a couple of sprinkles!
Glad you're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97 View Post
Sorry Miss Laurie, I'm a day late. I had JG (DS) with me yesterday, and after work, Rae and I took him and Elizabeth (DD) to the park; so I didn't get a chance to log on and read about the Peaches and the procedure. I did snap some photos of the computer screen (tiger procedure) w/my phone and sent them to Rae. She hasn't responded yet, but I know she will enjoy them.

The amazing things that modern medicine can do, rebuilding a birds beak...wow, that really is cool. Enjoying your TR Ma'am, looking forward to more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97 View Post
Rae just responded Miss Laurie, She loved them!!!!!!!!
Glad you all liked the report on Peaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1DVCfan View Post
I'm all caught up, 2 more wonderful days gone by. Your trip is going too fast! The tiger procedure was pretty amazing to see, those paws were huge. Your dinner looked great, but I agree, it did look like a small portion.
After today I'll have been here a week already. Doesn't seem possible.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #202 (permalink)

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with a computer issue. I was typing today's installment into a word program (Word 2007) and suddenly I can't type anything into the document, and can't copy what I've written. I tried opening a new document and re-typing today's blog, but I can't type into a new document, either! The computer I'm using is an old Acer notepad that belonged to my mother. I don't think I can type the whole TR here on PP and will have to wait until I get home to complete this report if I can't figure out how to unlock whatever I locked or disabled!! I don't remember clicking on anything weird, but this mouse seems to have a mind of its own and does jump around without being touched, so something horrid happened. I tried reading some of the "help" files, but can't find what to do.

I hope someone has an idea for me to try because I'm really enjoying doing this live report!

I know I could type it into an e-mail and copy from there but it's so much easier in a word file. In an e-mail I risk losing everything with one wrong click-- which I seem to be prone to!

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder

Last edited by lauriep; 12-02-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #203 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
Oh no Laurie! I hope you're able to figure something out!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #204 (permalink)
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Another great day! The stork's beak looks so well done; these vets are incredible! That pastas is a very small serving, but the meal looks so delicious.

I asked Luke for computer help as we've had Word 2010 for a while so I can't remember 2007, but he never forgets computer stuff. He says to use CTRL-ALT- DELETE to open Task Manager and see if you can shut winword down and then reopen with it working properly. Let me know if that doesn't work and he'll do some more thinking.

Enjoying the Food & Wine Festival

Scrapbook pages completed in 2014 = 259/350 pages

Our most recent WDW Adventures are here A Spring Adventure: Wilderness, Flowers, and the Force PTR (with Cam and Luke)

Cam22 PassPorter Co-Guide: The Darkroom , Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports ,
The Porch , The Library , WDW Touring Plans and Globetrotting: General Trip Reports
My Countdown Counting down to: Fall Trek Home
Heading Home
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVWL May 2014--SSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach
Cam22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #205 (permalink)

for the computer. I'm enjoying the live report so I hope Luke's advice works

Reunion with Snowbirds 2012
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...snowbirds.html
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise
We're off to our Magical 1st cruise
My Previous Tripswdw April 2005 POFQ, April 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 CBR, Feb 2010 AKL, CSR Dec 2012
rlb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #206 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Kathy, while you were responding I posted an update on Peaches! I'm sure you've done all the same things.... on a smaller scale!
I'm so glad to hear Peaches is doing well. Your meal at Tutto Italia looked delicious, especially the dessert Hope you solve your computer problem!
2 days, 9 hours, 57 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #207 (permalink)

Oh I hope you figure out what is up with dagnappit computer. I am really enjoying your trip report.

Check out the Kiddos PTR: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde PTR - Dec. 2014
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsASMus in 2007 & 2009, Kidani 2010, POP 2011, BC Villas 2011, BW Villas 2012, POP & POR 2013, OKW 2013
tdhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #208 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
I can't believe how far I've fallen behind on this! I'm loving your pics and descriptions. The details just fascinate me! Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #209 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the computer pixies! And Cam, Luke is a genius! No, I couldn't fix the problem, but doing what he said gave me the info I needed and I now know why everything locked up. My was using an unregistered version of Word. I'd been getting what I thought were little reminders saying "Do you want to Register?" and I'd always click past it. I guess my free time on Word just timed out eventually and everything locked up. Let's just say I'm not exactly surprised to have found this on my mother's computer! I did find a temporary fix, though. I'm able to use a word pad and can copy from there to PassPorter. If I try to save it, it locks, but at least I can type it out there and get the daily blog posted. Todays is coming up!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #210 (permalink)

Sunday, December 2. Day 7
ANOTHER beautiful day. Bright sunshine, high 70's.

I woke very early, having had over 8 hours of sleep! I felt good, but had a scratchy throat and slight cough, so I drank some Airborne. It doesn't feel like I'm getting a bad cold, though and I hope it gets no worse than this slightly "off" feeling.

Shower, coffee, out to the bus and to AK by rope drop. I went up the right side of the Oasis and managed to get this good shot of the little Muntjak deer drinking from the stream. These little deer are so skittish it's hard to get a clear shot of them.

My cough was bothering me and they had no cough drops for sale in the shops, so I went to First Aid. They kindly gave me 4 cough drops to tide me over until I could buy some at the hotel.

When I got to the Vet building and scooted past the first window, which is where the scientists work for the Disney Wildlife Fund Programs and the research is done for the Elephant Communication project, I noticed that it was newly decorated for Christmas. Here's a photo of the decorations:

Looks cute, right? Well, I saw it and burst out laughing. Can you tell what the snowmen are made of? Elephant poop! It's laquered so it's not stinky, but I think it's hilarious. All those PHD scientists forming elephant poop into different sized balls for Christmas. Of course, a lot of their work is done measuring the hormones and looking at the evidence of diet in animal poop, so I guess it was a natural idea for them. Here's a close-up of the snowmen.

Today was another bird day at the vet window. First came two Green-Wing Macaws. Beautiful birds, with vivid red, green and blue feathers. They can usually be seen on the left side of the Oasis. These were just annual physicals, but the birds had to be anaesthetized since they can easily break a person's finger with one bite. Julie anaesthetized them and Dr Deidre did the exam, drawing blood from the jugular, examining feet, eyes, ears and body. The birds are healthy, were quickly awakened and will go back to their habitats today.

The next patient was a young green-wing dove from the Aisia aviary in for his neonate exam. They call it a "neonate" although it's a fledgling, not a newborn. The "neonate" exam just means it's the first time the birds have been examined by the vets. I've seen many of these birds in the vet window, as AK has a population of almost 80 of them! The exam was the same as for the macaws, except that this bird also needed to have a microchip implanted. Almost all the animals at AK have these chips, which help in distinguishing one individual from another.

The final exam of the day was an Indian Pygmy goose. This exam was the same as the macaws except that x-rays were also done, since the bird had shown signs of arthritis on its previous exam. No progression of the disease was seen. The bird was declared healthy and will go back to the Aviary.

I like this photo of Dr Deidre explaining the procedures on the mike and Julie smiling at me.

Normally I go to catch the train back to Harambe after the procedures are finished, but today I decided to stay and watch the new videos that have been prepared to play in the window during down-time in the afternoons. Julie came out to talk to me for a while before the videos started. I hadn't had a chance to talk to her yet this trip. She's performing in the CM Choir in the Candlelight shows, so has been super-busy! The videos were done by the new Director of Animal Care (I think that's his title!), Dr Scott Terrell, and very well done and fascinating. They show treatments routinely done backstage because the animals are too large, so are things we'll never get to see in the exam room. There are videos of a giraffe getting anaesthesia and being treated for an auto-immune disease, a zebra anaesthesia, and a manatee transport. The manatee had been injured in the wild (a very bad tail injury) and brought to the Living Seas. Before repairing the tail the vets wanted to get an MRI to make sure the spine had not been damaged. The only MRI large enough was at the University of Florida, so they crated the manatee and took her by truck. The interesting part, though, was how they got her out of the Living Seas building. They got a crane and lifted her out through the roof! Amazing how they planned the buildings to handle things like that.

After leaving Rafiki's I went down the path to Asia, stopping to see DeVine and checking out the new veggie cart.

I wanted to visit Peaches the tiger, and I did get to see her. She was sleeping in the grass on the hill, though, so I couldn't get a photo. The keeper was there and said she's doing very well.

It was now 1:30 and I was getting hungry. I remembered that Heather had said that Restaurantosaurus had a good veggie sub so I went there and she's right! It's quite good and another reasonable option for lunch at AK. I don't usually go to Dinoland, so won't get it often, but I'm glad to know it's there.

I scooted out of the park and took the bus back home for a 2-hour nap. I feel fine, but still have an annoying scratchy throat and dry cough. After my nap I scooted over to Epcot for Illuminations. I LOVE Illuminations and with the Holiday ending it's almost unbearably wonderful! All choked up, I scooted home again. Leaving Epcot by the International Gateway is the greatest perk of staying at the Crescent Lake hotels.

I can't believe I've been here a full week already. I've done many wonderful things, but still haven't been to the Magic Kingdom and have only done TWO rides-- the safari and Toy Story!