Goin' Down the Bayou ~ The TR (November 1-10, 2012) - Page 2 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 6
Great start!!! Looking forward to your TR - as I am staying at POR in December!!!

Your girls are beautiful!!!!

Lisa Co-Guide to Sharing the Adventure Disney World Trip Reports

PTR: Thingamabobs, Zebras, & Giraffes, Oh My!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPOP September 2013; POP August 2013; AKL & BLT June/July 2013; POR December 2012; SSR October 2012; SSR July 2011; BWV May 2011; SSR July/Aug 2010; WL & SSR July 2009; SSR July 2008; OKW August 2007; OKW May 2007; SSR October 2006; SSR June 2006; OKW December 2005; CS September 2005; OKW July 2005; SSR October 2004; POP June 2004; ASMV April 2004; BWV October 2003
lfredsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Great start looking forward to more.
My Countdown Counting down to: Long Weekend #2 I blame the pins
1 days, 21 hours, 38 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW July 1974, Childhood trip date Unknown, May 1994, July 1996, September 2003, Sept/October 2006, January 2007, December 2008, Sept/October 2008,April 2010, Sept 2013, March 2014
Hugmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Looking forward to reading all about it! Your girls are dolls

Why do these kids look so pathetic?

Find out in: A New Grade, A New House, and A Surprise! Final Thoughts 01/30

My Previous TripsWDW Trips: Nov 1987 (off site); July 2007 ASMo; July 2008 POR; July 2009 ASMo; August 2010 CS; Disney Dream August 2011; August 2012 WL
sc507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

great start. Can't wait to read all about it.

Holly
TR: My Consolation Vacation - Wildwood
PTR: Aug 17-31 2014
My Best Trip Ever!
First Disney Cruise
Baltimore Washington Weekend
My Countdown Counting down to: Return trip to the Mouse
360 days, 2 hours, 23 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW '76, '80, '81, '83, '85, '88, '90, '91, '92, '96, '98, '00, '06, '11 England '91, '95, '99, '02, '11, '12 France 2004 Up and Down East Coast of US
mommapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Great start! Looking forward to reading more!

Susan
My Previous Trips1st trip Nov 1987 Off Site * Jan 2008 Coronado Springs * Jan 2010 Caribbean Beach * Feb 2011 Beach Club*Jan 2012 Caribbean Beach*Dec 2012 Caribbean Beach*Feb 2014 All Star Movies
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Joining in so I don't miss a thing! Can't wait to hear about the trip!

Follow along on my trip to Hawaii here!
My Countdown Counting down to: Hopefully My 2nd Ever WDW Trip!
My Previous TripsWDW Jan 2009 Offsite at HGVC then Beach Club; not listing DLR...I don't think I can count that high!
Dlandmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Can't wait to hear all about it!

My Countdown Counting down to: Spring Break Trip to DLR
Having fun out West!
My Previous TripsDLR Villas at the Grand Californian September 2013 (Half-Marathon Weekend); DLR Villas at the Grand Californian March 2013; BCV/AKL-Jambo September/October 2012; DLR Villas at the Grand Californian February 2012; BCV December 2011; DLR Grand Californian June 2011; POR February 2011; DLR Villas at the Grand Californian September 2010 (half-marathon weekend); BC January 2010 (marathon weekend); WL June 2009; WL January 2006 (marathon weekend); GF January 2001 (marathon weekend); GF May 1999 (honeymoon, including cruise on Disney Magic); and Off Property in August 1997, Summer 1993, Summer 1991, and August 1981 (my first trip!)
shnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Great start!

World of Color at our first visit to Disneyland!

My Countdown Counting down to: A trip with my wonderful Mama
66 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW- Dec. 2002 (WL), Oct. 2003 (WL), Feb. 2007 (WLV), Dec. 2009 (POFQ), Feb. 2011 (Poly), Nov. 2011 (BLT/AKV Kidani), Feb. 2012 (SSR), Nov. 2012 (AoA/OKW), Jan. 2014 (BWV), March 2014 (AKV Kidani), Nov. 2014 (SSR) DL- May/June 2013 (DLH) Aulani- Nov. 2012
disneyfreeeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 3
Can't believe I got here in time since I feel so behind with everyone's TR.

Celebrating as One Big Happy Family Updated 7/28/14
Cruising on a Dream Full of Frights and Friends Completed!
Taking a Break from Life with a Trip to My Happy Place
My Countdown Counting down to: Big Beach Club Family Vacation
Having a Beachy Good Time with Mickey!
My Previous Trips1981 to 1992-Various times and hotels, especially DTD Royal Plaza, 1993-Swan, 1994-CB, 1995- DTD Double Tree, 1996-AS Music, 1997-POR, 1998-GF, 1999-AS Music, 2001-YC, 2001-Off Site, 2002-AS Movie, 2003-AKL, 2003-AS Music, 2004-AKL, 2005-CB, 2006-POR, 2007-SSR, 2008-DCL Wonder/Pop, 2008-SSR, 2009-DCL Magic, 2010-DCL Wonder/BWV, 2010-BCV, 2011-AKLV CL, 2012-BCV, 2012-AKV, 2013-DCL Dream/AKLV
honeybee723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thank you everyone!! I promise I have not forgotten about you, and I hope to get another update in soon I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangelop View Post
Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Great start!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Great start, Jenn! Wonderful shots of the girls-- and I'm sure we'll get to see lots more. Can't wait to hear how you liked being onsite at PO.
Two words, Laurie ... LOVED it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
Great start - looking forward to the next installment
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayraLR View Post
Yay, you started! Can't wait to read about your trip.
Thank you both! Hopefully I'll have another update soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Grumpy View Post
Your girls are beautiful! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. DH and I were there during the time you were there, wish I'd been on the look-out for you!
Thanks! Too bad we didn't know, it would have been fun to meet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLittleSpark View Post
Excited to read more!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteiny23 View Post
Glad you've started. You're going to shame me into starting soon aren't you?
I think we all had a tough time coming home this time around so it will be good to go back and relive it all with you
No shame But I am one update ahead of you BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Great start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamer33 View Post
Yay! I can't wait!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
Your beautiful daughters are at such a perfect age for WDW - can't wait to hear how much fun you had.
We had a ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushu22 View Post
Great start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam22 View Post
Great start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblady01 View Post
great start more please
Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfredsbo View Post
Great start!!! Looking forward to your TR - as I am staying at POR in December!!!

Your girls are beautiful!!!!
Thanks, Lisa We loved POR, it's just beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmonster View Post
Great start looking forward to more.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc507 View Post
Looking forward to reading all about it! Your girls are dolls
Aww, thanks! I think I'll keep them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapants View Post
great start. Can't wait to read all about it.
Thanks, Holly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
Great start! Looking forward to reading more!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlandmom2 View Post
Joining in so I don't miss a thing! Can't wait to hear about the trip!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnewell View Post
Can't wait to hear all about it!
Thanks, Shayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreeeak View Post
Great start!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee723 View Post
Can't believe I got here in time since I feel so behind with everyone's TR.
I think you had a good excuse Welcome home!

My first TR:A Very Merry SurpriseHere we go again: Goin' Down the Bayou Our Anniversary Trip: Happy 10 Years

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Second Cruise
293 days, 14 hours, 23 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsYearly trips to WDW as a child with my family (1982 - 1989), WDW/Universal 1992, Senior Class Trip to WDW June 1994, WDW 2001, First Family Trip with my girls 2009, First MNSSHP October 2010, First MVMCP November 2011, POR November 2012, POR and our first cruise on the Dream August 2013
JKnott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Will We or Won't We??

The days leading up to this trip were trying, to say the least. We lost power at about 2PM on Monday 10/29, hours before the full strength of Sandy would make landfall. I’ll admit that I completely underestimated the power of this storm, and never did I imagine all of the destruction it caused I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the news reports the following morning. It was then that I started thinking about our trip. We had gotten in touch with all of our friends and family that live along the coast, thankfully they were all safe and sound, but many of them completely lost their homes. How could we even think of going away now?

A conversation with Chris’ mom made us realize that we needed to go on this trip, to enjoy ourselves and just celebrate our little family and everything we were lucky to have She assured us that there was nothing we could do for them right now, and that the rest of the family wouldn’t want us to cancel. With the airports being closed indefinitely, we weren’t sure what would happen with our flight, but as of Tuesday evening it had not been cancelled yet. As a back up we looked into rental cars and decided to just drive to Orlando if need be. Chris wanted to pack up and leave on Tuesday night instead, but I thought if we had a chance of flying out on Thursday night I wanted to do that. The girls were really looking forward to flying! And so was I

The airport had opened up by Wednesday morning with “limited service”. All of Jet Blue’s flights, however, were cancelled for that day. Our Thursday evening flight was still showing as On Time We really lucked out, it seemed as if they cancelled about half of their flights that day. The flights before and after ours were both cancelled.

We ended up spending Wednesday night at my sister’s condo in Jersey City, they were lucky enough to have gotten power back earlier that day. It was so nice to finally have a hot shower! Our flight wasn’t until 7:10 PM, but we left her place around 1:30 that afternoon. Some of the roadways we needed to take out to JFK run right along the waterfront, and we weren’t sure about the road conditions so we wanted to leave ourselves plenty of time in case of any detours. It turns out we didn’t need any of that time, the roads were fine. In fact I think we made it to the airport in record time We started seeing road signs for the various terminals, and then ahead of us a sea of red. Uh Oh! Three or four lanes of traffic and a standstill! I’ve never seen such traffic at an airport before.

We crept along, slow and steady, and I was glad we had left ourselves so much time, there didn’t seem to be an end to the traffic in sight. Finally, as we neared terminal 3 we could see a fork in the road, and all of the heavy traffic was heading toward the right to the arrivals level. Luckily, we needed to go left to continue on. I noticed that terminal 3 was an international hub, and I can only assume that all of the traffic was due to an influx of overseas flights that had been delayed or cancelled because of the storm.

Finally, we pulled up to terminal 5 between 3:30 and 4:00 pm. Chris dropped off me and the girls, and I got us checked in while he dropped off our car at the Police building’s lot. Even though we had weighed the bags at home, one of ours was way over the 50 pound limit. Like 8 pounds over! I have no idea how that happened I did some switching around and got it down to 52 pounds, but that was as low as it was going to get! I think the guy felt bad for me, because he let it slide and didn’t charge me the overage fee. Thank you sir!

Chris still wasn’t back yet, so the girls and I grabbed a seat in the corner to wait for him.

We were chatting about our trip and the girls were playing with their Duffy’s when this little old lady walked by. I swear, she looked just like YiaYia from those Athenos Greek Yogurt commercials. She didn’t speak a lick of English either, but that didn’t stop her from trying to talk to Abby about her Duffy bear At one point she grabbed the bear and hugged it, but then started to walk away, jokingly. Poor Abby didn’t know what to do. She had half a smile on, while giving the woman the stare down, like “you better get back here with my Duffy!” I couldn’t help but laugh. After handing Abby back her bear, she smiled and spoke some more words we didn’t understand, but we all nodded and smiled at her and she went on her way.

Chris had finally made his way back to us, so we gathered our things and headed towards security. Things went pretty smoothly. Well, until they thought my M&M tubes filled with Pennies and Quarters were magazine rounds! Next time, I’ll keep the change out of the tubes until we are through security. After TSA was certain I was not packing any ammunition , we made our way towards our gate to wait for boarding. Chris and the girls grabbed some pizza for dinner, while I just had a smoothie from Jamba Juice. My nervous stomach didn’t leave me much of an appetite. An hour and a half flew by and soon we were boarding the girls first ever flight, I was so excited!

Up Next: I Can't Believe We're Finally Here!

My first TR:A Very Merry SurpriseHere we go again: Goin' Down the Bayou Our Anniversary Trip: Happy 10 Years

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Second Cruise
293 days, 14 hours, 23 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsYearly trips to WDW as a child with my family (1982 - 1989), WDW/Universal 1992, Senior Class Trip to WDW June 1994, WDW 2001, First Family Trip with my girls 2009, First MNSSHP October 2010, First MVMCP November 2011, POR November 2012, POR and our first cruise on the Dream August 2013

Last edited by JKnott17; 11-26-2012 at 09:33 PM..
JKnott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 6
Again - so glad that you guys faired well during Sandy, but sorry for your friends/family

It must have been an interesting drive along NJ/NY.

Lisa Co-Guide to Sharing the Adventure Disney World Trip Reports

PTR: Thingamabobs, Zebras, & Giraffes, Oh My!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPOP September 2013; POP August 2013; AKL & BLT June/July 2013; POR December 2012; SSR October 2012; SSR July 2011; BWV May 2011; SSR July/Aug 2010; WL & SSR July 2009; SSR July 2008; OKW August 2007; OKW May 2007; SSR October 2006; SSR June 2006; OKW December 2005; CS September 2005; OKW July 2005; SSR October 2004; POP June 2004; ASMV April 2004; BWV October 2003
lfredsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #28 (permalink)

I am so glad you made the flight and everything was off to a good start. I think I may have gotten a little peeved with the yia yia lady though, glad the Duffy's were given back quickly as I am sure that would not have been a good situation.
Can't wait for more

<a rel=/" border="0" />
MY CRUISE PTR

My Countdown Counting down to:
My Previous TripsMany as a kid in the early 80's all at the Poly, GRAD NITE 92, offsite in 96 and 2005, CBR May 2007, Poly Dec.2008, GF Dec.2009, Poly Oct. 2010, BC/DCL DREAM/AKL Oct.2011,POR RGR May2012, Poly Sep 2012, BC/CL May 2013
Linnynad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Glad you survived the storm and your flight wasn't cancelled!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

I'm so glad you were able to go despite Sandy. That's crazy about the coins. I'll keep that in mind too. Never crossed my mind.