Our first "Welcome Home" and 26.2 miles - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince's Avatar

Our first "Welcome Home" and 26.2 miles

I love writing trip reports, because it helps me to remember the trip. I've found that the trips I don't do reports for are the ones that I have trouble remembering. It usually takes a while, but I do finish these reports...eventually. So, here goes!

DH and I bought DVC - finally! - this summer, and this was our first trip as DVC members. It was also our fourth marathon weekend trip in a row. DH and I came down for our first race weekend in 2010 when it was below freezing at the start of the half marathon. In 2011, DH and I ran the marathon. (There's a report around here about that race, though the pictures may be gone.) Last year, we brought our oldest DD along. She and DH did the Family 5K, and I did the Goofy. We’d have family with us this year, too: my parents, as well as my aunt and uncle. (We would be leaving our four kids at home, though, because race weekends aren't optimal for touring, what with the early bedtimes that are required for 2:15 wakeup calls!)

Since this year was the 20th anniversary of the Mickey marathon, there was no doubt which race I was going to do. I had spent the summer in physical therapy with some IT band issues, but I'd worked very hard to get back to marathon mileage! DH never wants to do another marathon, so he chose the half instead, which he would run with my dad and my uncle.

Since we bought DVC by resale, the closing took a while, and it was September before we were able to book our accommodations for marathon weekend. At first, I had to book a separate resort for each night, but eventually I was able to book all four nights at the Boardwalk. We would have to move after the first night, but at least we didn’t have to move three times!

We took a noon flight, which is later than I usually like, but I wanted to get the kids off to school before we left.

Our daughters like us to bring Duffy along when they're not with us!

We had no problems on the flight, and landed on time. We usually rent a car for marathon weekend, and could have gotten a really good deal, but decided to save the money and go with DME. The lines were much longer than I've encountered any other time of year, which surprised me, since January is still considered a fairly "slow" season. Mom and Dad were staying at SSR, which is where we own but have not yet stayed, so we said good-bye to them and headed toward our line. We didn't wait terribly long and were on our way to the Boardwalk after a quick stop at POR.

The first glimpse is always special

I'd checked in online, but the guest at the online check-in desk was apparently having issues, so we were called to another cast member. So excited to receive this:

See? It says "Welcome home!" right on it!

We were treated to a really lovely room at the end of a very long hallway. What people say about the hallways reminding you of "The Shining" is really true! Once we got there, I may have run right to the balcony. We usually stay at the Values, so I'm not used to a balcony!

I think we got the Tower of Terror category instead of the standard!

Here's the view to the left

The only other time we stayed in a studio was at Bay Lake Tower, and those have a different layout than the ones at BWV.

Kitchenette

Vanity

Bathroom

Love the Mickeys on the dresser!

More Mickeys in the carpet

My dad was going to call when they were ready to go to the Expo to pick up our race packets, so in the meantime, we put our feet up and relaxed. I think we're going to like this DVC stuff!

The view from our patio at Old Key West

My Countdown Counting down to: WDW for Thanksgiving, followed by our first Disney cruise
27 days, 7 hours, 18 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsContemporary Nov 1980, Village June 1986, DLR July 1999, off-site May 2001, Beach Club Villas Jan 2007, ASMu Sept 2007, Poly May 2008, ASMu Sept 2008, Pop July 2009, BLT Oct 2009, Pop Dec 2009, AS Sports Jan 2010, Pop Aug 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, Pop Apr 2011, DLR Sep 2011, SoG Jan 2012, Kidani Feb 2012, BWV Jan 2013 (first DVC trip!), BCV/OKW June 2013, VWL/BLT Feb 2014

Last edited by mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince; 01-17-2013 at 08:34 PM..
mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

great start more please

WDW - August 1997 Off Property
WDW - January 2005 AKL
WDW - May 2006 Pop Century
WDW- november-dec 2007 pop century
WDW- dec/jan 2009/2010 pop century
WDW- oct/nov 2012 art of animation
WDW- sept 2013 port Orleans riverside
My Countdown Counting down to: summer fun in disney world
259 days, 23 hours, 18 minutes
My Previous Tripsaug 1997 off site jan 2005 animal kingdom lodger may 2006 pop century dec 2007 pop century dec 2009/jan 2010 pop century 0ct/nov 2012 art of animation resort sept 2013 port Orleans riverside
bsblady01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 5
Great start! I am looking forward to reading all about your trip and the race. We are DVC owners too and we LOVE IT! I know you guys will too!! My husband and I also love to run and especially the RunDisney races.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW POR Sept. 2001, Poly. April 2004, BC Feb. 2005, BWApril 2006, BW Nov. 2006, BC Feb. 2007, BW Nov. 2007, BW Nov. 2008, BLT May 2009, SSpr Aug. 2009, BW & BLT Nov. 2009, BLT May 2010, Poly. Aug. 2010, BW & BLT Nov. 2010, AK Club Level & DCL 2011, BC Sept. 2011, BW Nov. 2011 for W&D 1/2 Marathon, BLT & DCL May, 2012, YC & BLT 8/2012, BW Nov. 2012 for W&D 1/2 Marathon, Disney Fantasy Cruise & WL May, 2013, Disneyland Hotel to run Dumbo Double Dare races Aug. 2013, BW Nov. 2013 for W&D 1/2 Marathon, BLT Nov. 2013, BW, GF, AKL & BLT Aug. 2014, BW 10/14 to run in the ToT 10 Miler Race
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 6
Great start and pictures!

Enjoying the Food & Wine Festival

Scrapbook pages completed in 2014 = 259/350 pages

Our most recent WDW Adventures are here A Spring Adventure: Wilderness, Flowers, and the Force PTR (with Cam and Luke)

Cam22 PassPorter Co-Guide: The Darkroom , Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports ,
The Porch , The Library , WDW Touring Plans and Globetrotting: General Trip Reports
My Countdown Counting down to: Fall Trek Home
Heading Home
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVWL May 2014--SSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach
Cam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, goody! Another Beth report! Welcome to DVC. I just love the BWV, although those hallways can be a marathon walk. Isn't it wonderful having a balcony?

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Oooo, I'm so excited to read about your marathon trip! Especially as your previous marathon TR got me so excited to go on my first trip!

Boardwalk: "The Shining" hallways and scary clown pool. Yeah, don't think I'm staying there anytime soon! :P
My Previous TripsOffsite DL Aug 2013 (Dumbo Double Dare Race),CBR Jan 2013 (Disney Half Marathon), Beach Club/Disney Dream April 2012, WL Oct. 2011, WL Oct. 2009, WL Oct. 2007, Off-site Aug. 1995, numerous childhood visits
lsugirlinutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 1
Great start! Can't wait to hear more - very interested in the races. I would eventually like to participate myself but have to get in shape first!

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
Couple of Rum Runners and a Beach!
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Great start! I love the Mickeys on the dresser as well!

Enjoying time in beautiful Verona on our Italy road trip. The trip reports for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey and a day out in Paris are now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our wedding anniversary
5 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
Great start!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Looking forward to more...

Reunion with Snowbirds 2012
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...snowbirds.html
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise
We're off to our Magical 1st cruise
My Previous Tripswdw April 2005 POFQ, April 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 CBR, Feb 2010 AKL, CSR Dec 2012
rlb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Great Start!!
31 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 3
Great start! I'm so excited to read a trip report about the marathon weekend, keep it coming!

My Countdown Counting down to: Bubble Time!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Last edited by wydivers; 01-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Spelling
wydivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblady01 View Post
great start more please
Coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
Great start! I am looking forward to reading all about your trip and the race. We are DVC owners too and we LOVE IT! I know you guys will too!! My husband and I also love to run and especially the RunDisney races.
Which races have you done? The one I really want to do is Wine & Dine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam22 View Post
Great start and pictures!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Oh, goody! Another Beth report! Welcome to DVC. I just love the BWV, although those hallways can be a marathon walk. Isn't it wonderful having a balcony?
I spent a lot of time on the balcony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsugirlinutah View Post
Oooo, I'm so excited to read about your marathon trip! Especially as your previous marathon TR got me so excited to go on my first trip!

Boardwalk: "The Shining" hallways and scary clown pool. Yeah, don't think I'm staying there anytime soon! :P
We didn't swim in the pool, but we did see it. Don't let those two things discourage you from staying there. The location can't be beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Great start! Can't wait to hear more - very interested in the races. I would eventually like to participate myself but have to get in shape first!
Everybody has to start somewhere! Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Great start! I love the Mickeys on the dresser as well!
I didn't go crazy with looking for HMs this trip, but the Boardwalk did have plenty of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Great start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb38 View Post
Looking forward to more...
Coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB733 View Post
Great Start!!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydivers View Post
Great start! I'm so excited to read a trip report about the marathon weekend, keep it coming!
Coming up!

My Countdown Counting down to: WDW for Thanksgiving, followed by our first Disney cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsContemporary Nov 1980, Village June 1986, DLR July 1999, off-site May 2001, Beach Club Villas Jan 2007, ASMu Sept 2007, Poly May 2008, ASMu Sept 2008, Pop July 2009, BLT Oct 2009, Pop Dec 2009, AS Sports Jan 2010, Pop Aug 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, Pop Apr 2011, DLR Sep 2011, SoG Jan 2012, Kidani Feb 2012, BWV Jan 2013 (first DVC trip!), BCV/OKW June 2013, VWL/BLT Feb 2014
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Congrats on the DVC purchase and your first offical "Welcome Home"

Great start - more please

Holly
TR: My Consolation Vacation - Wildwood
PTR: Aug 17-31 2014
My Best Trip Ever!
First Disney Cruise
Baltimore Washington Weekend
My Countdown Counting down to: Return trip to the Mouse
300 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW '76, '80, '81, '83, '85, '88, '90, '91, '92, '96, '98, '00, '06, '11 England '91, '95, '99, '02, '11, '12 France 2004 Up and Down East Coast of US
mommapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

So, to sum up our story so far:

First DVC trip, first time staying here:

The famous creepy chairs!

The view from our first balcony

Duffy gets comfortable

We'd arrived, checked in and made the long trek to our room. Next up was the expo. My aunt & uncle had a car, because they drove up from Bonita Springs, so they picked us up and we were on our way. I usually don't like the expo, because it's so crowded, and this time was no different. We picked up our bibs, and I tried to get them to move me up one corral from D to C, but it was a no-go.

I wasn't going to do any shopping, but we couldn't resist the pint glasses:

The ladies’ marathon shirt was purple so I had to get that, too!

We hadn’t really eaten anything since we’d landed and I was getting really (and perhaps a bit short-tempered) so after picking up all of our stuff and braving the crowds, we headed out. They dropped us off at Port Orleans, so we could start carb-loading at Riverside Mill food court.

I had fettucine alfredo with shrimp and DH had spaghetti with chicken and marinara. They've got a little pasta bar set up where you can choose your ingredients. I had artichoke hearts, mushrooms, peas and garlic in mine.

These chefs are hard at work! It must be hot back there.

We were able to meet up with some friends and had a lovely meal. Afterwards, we stopped into the River Roost and enjoyed a bit of the Yehaa Bob show. It was really crowded in there, because Team AllEars was having a meet. We stood along the wall for a while and DH had a beer.

"How's my hair?" "Looks GREAT, Bob!"

It had been a long day, though, and it would take two buses to make it back to Boardwalk, so we didn't stay long. We walked to the bus stop, took the bus to DTD and then hopped the bus to the Boardwalk. Unfortunately, the bus also stopped at Swan & Dolphin AND the Yacht & Beach without anybody getting off. The bus driver said he wish he'd known that the four of us on the bus were all getting off at the Boardwalk; he would have stopped there first!

We didn't do any unpacking that night, because we'd have to leave this room to move to another in the morning. We got a fairly good night's sleep and were up early so we could head to the Studios for rope drop.

It was a beautiful start to the day and I was so grateful to be at my favorite place

I went down to check in to our second room, but it wasn't ready. The CM said that we would receive a voicemail telling us what room we were in. He tried to give us new keys, but couldn't because we were still using our old ones. We were sad to leave our standard-view room, but looked forward to what our first preferred view room would look like! We left our bags with bell services and headed downstairs to the boardwalk area.

We'll be staying across the lake at the Beach Club when we come back with the kids this summer

We needed to save our legs for the upcoming races, so we planned to take the boat to the Studios. When we got down to the boat dock, there was a little clump of people waiting at the top of the ramp. After the boat docked, the driver came out and looked at us all standing there and put up his arms like, "Are you coming?!?" DH and I led the way down the ramp and I said to the boat driver, "Oh, you want us to get ON the boat?"

(continued in next post)

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Last edited by mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince; 01-18-2013 at 12:50 PM..