Any Idiot Can Run. It takes a Goofy kind of idiot to run a marathon and a half! - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Any Idiot Can Run. It takes a Goofy kind of idiot to run a marathon and a half!

Thatís the saying on the back of my shirt that I wore for the marathon. I got a fair amount of comments on it too during the race! But Iím getting ahead of myself. This journey starts back at the end of the marathon race, January 2011. I had just finished my first full marathon and had no ambition to do it again. Ever. But as any runner will tell you, once you recover and feel normal again, your goals change. As the next few days unfolded, I saw the folks proudly wearing their Goofy medals and shirts and I realized that I probably could do the Goofy. No, I knew I actually could do it. I decided to do it in 2012. Until I twisted my knee while putting my shoes on. Donít ask.

After the MRI confirmed a torn meniscus, I knew the Full was out. However, I had already signed up for the Expedition Everest Challenge (which I had to cancelÖ so very sad) and the Wine and Dine Half Marathon on October 1st. Well, after surgery in May and nearly 2 months of physical therapy, I was able to run again come mid-July. I thought I could just walk the W&D if necessary, but as it turned out I actually ran about half of it! I finished with a time around 3:02 or something, and meanwhile also signed up for the Marathon Relay in January 2012! And that was a blast. I had my best time yet, up to that point, with a 2:44 finish. Take that, bad knee!!! With that, I knew I could finish the Goofy, so I signed up for that, and I finally did get to do the Expedition Everest Challenge in May 2012. And even better, with my 9 year old daughter right next to me!! It was her first 5K and she had so much fun (even if it was insanely hot and crowded!)!

I started training during the summer for a local Half marathon in the hopes of getting an even better finish time than 2:44. Iíd heard from others that if you can finish sub-2:30, you have a better chance at being in a better corral, C, D, or E. The last 3 WDW races, I had been in the very last corral because my finishing times are not spectacular. Itís not a big deal for me, really, because I know Iíll finish in the allotted time. But whatís annoying is that you donít get to start right away. Since they send off the runners in waves 5-7 minutes apart, this means those of us in corral H donít cross the start line until 40-55 minutes after those in corral A. It means you donít finish until just that much later in the day. Not terrible, just annoying.

Anyway, I trained hard to get a 2:30 finish and come September 1st, my husband and I (he ran it with me!) finished in 2:28!!! Turned out that this awesome finish time put me in corral D. I was stoked!!!

The next four months were a blur of running, running, kids stuff, running, Thanksgiving WDW trip, and more running. Come Christmas time, I was burned out. Totally sick of it. I had gotten in my longest runs of 10miles/20miles (on consecutive days because thatís how you train for Goofy) and was so glad it was over with. I didnít have another long distance like that until the actual race. And as the actual race approached I kept a watchful eye on the weather forecast. It looked like it was turning out to be some of my favorite weather: hot and sunny!! Not ideal for most runners, but perfect for me. I sat back and enjoyed the taper time of just running 4 miles here, 8 miles there. Easy peasy.

Coming up: Hotel choices and departure day!
31 days, 6 hours, 19 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVisited WDW 4 times while little from 1979 to 1990 ~ Jan. 1998, Doubletree ~ Nov. 1998, Disney Institute ~ Sept. 2000, E. Caribbean Disney Magic ~ July 2001, Courtyard Downtown Disney ~ March 2003, Comfort Inn ~ June 2004, POR ~ Jan. 2006, POFQ ~ May 2007, All Star Vacation home ~ Jan. 2008, POFQ Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2008, SSR ~ Nov. 2009, CBR ~ March 2010, AsMu Princess Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2010, Disneyland Half Marathon ~ Nov. 2010, CSR ~ Jan. 2011 WDW Marathon ~ Oct. 2011 Wine&Dine Half Marathon, POR ~ Jan. 2012 Relay Marathon, POP ~ May 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge, CBR Pirate room ~ Sept. 2012 Sheraton LBV ~ Nov. 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek ~ Jan. 2013 Goofy Challenge, POR Royal Room ~ Apr. 2013 POP ~ Jan 2014, marathon volunteer ~
disney_duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Another marathon report! Great start.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Yay, yay! So excited to hear about your experience!
My Previous TripsOffsite DL Aug 2013 (Dumbo Double Dare Race),CBR Jan 2013 (Disney Half Marathon), Beach Club/Disney Dream April 2012, WL Oct. 2011, WL Oct. 2009, WL Oct. 2007, Off-site Aug. 1995, numerous childhood visits
lsugirlinutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I am in awe of you! Having done a half, there is NO way I could've done a full the next day!
But I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyLand too many times to count; DisneyWorld: ('82; '94; '00; '04; '05; '08 - twice!; '10;'11 - twice; '13); DCL (all 4 ships): ('00, '05, '06, '10, '11, '13); DVC Hilton Head Resort :D ('06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13 - twice)
cubfancolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Great start! Congrats on getting over that knee injury and being able to get fit enough to do this.

Trying our best to enjoy Athens on a baking hot day on our magical Mediterranean vacation. The trip report for our weekends in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Mark's birthday
1 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm impressed with the fortitude that goes into training for this. Great job.
shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Great start!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince's Avatar

I'm going to be in this report a lot!

Congrats on the 2:28! I was able to get 2:30 during a half in March of 2011 and haven't come close to that time since then! I need a new goal, so maybe that will be it: a new half marathon PR!

Looking forward to more!

The view from our patio at Old Key West

My Countdown Counting down to: WDW for Thanksgiving, followed by our first Disney cruise
86 days, 6 hours, 19 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsContemporary Nov 1980, Village June 1986, DLR July 1999, off-site May 2001, Beach Club Villas Jan 2007, ASMu Sept 2007, Poly May 2008, ASMu Sept 2008, Pop July 2009, BLT Oct 2009, Pop Dec 2009, AS Sports Jan 2010, Pop Aug 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, Pop Apr 2011, DLR Sep 2011, SoG Jan 2012, Kidani Feb 2012, BWV Jan 2013 (first DVC trip!), BCV/OKW June 2013, VWL/BLT Feb 2014
mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

I'm here and ready to hear more

I did it!!! Glass slipper challenge 2014!!
My Countdown Counting down to: Halloween Fun
61 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW 95 All Star Sports,97 Port Orleans RS,99 Port Orleans RS,00 Port Orleans RS,01 FW Cabins,04 Port Orleans RS,05 POP & 07 ASM, 08 FW cabins, 09 POFQ, 10 POP, 11 POP, 12 CB, 13 POP Princess half
misty hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

So when I first started thinking about the Goofy I thought I wanted a couch in the room to better relax. That meant DVC somewhere. As I couldnít stomach the prices (Iím not DVC member), I started to lean towards my favorite resort, French Quarter. The couch wasnít that important after all. I started talking with another running friend of mine from another board who I usually meet up with at these races. She said she heard about walking over to the start line from the FQ/OKW area as itís literally across the street. We went back and forth on this issue as runDisney strongly discourages you from doing this. The thing is, we donít bag-check prior to the race. So thereís really no need for us to be in the pre-race staging area. Itís about a 1 mile walk from the pre-race area (Epcot parking lot) to the corrals (on Epcot Center Drive). Itís about the same distance, if not shorter, from the FQ to the corrals. We decided to live on the wild side and attempt this walk. So FQ was my choice of hotel!

The more I would talk about this trip, the more my BFF, Amanda, started inquiring too. She was wondering if I really and truly wanted to go solo or if I wouldnít mind a friend tagging along. Since that would mean a split in the cost of the hotel room, sure I didnít mind if she came along! She came with me for my first WDW Half in 2008 (and ran that one too) and also came with me to Disneyland for that Half marathon. So she understands the craziness that goes along with running such races.

And then the hotel discounts started to be released. It actually proved to be cheaper to stay next door at POR in a Royal Room, Garden View no less!! So I switched. This would mean more walking to meet my friend for the start of the race though. She was staying at OKW. Then I thought Iíd drive my rental car to FQ and then walk to meet her. I may be a marathon runner, but Iím still pretty lazy.

It probably took me over a week to pack because I just didnít know what to bring. The forecast did say warm temps, but it kept wavering between rain and sun as well. So I packed just about everything. Shorts, ponchos, gloves, you name it. Come January 10th, I was all ready to rock and roll!! I dropped the kids off at school, hugs and kisses all around, and then my husband drove me to the airport. After a little stop along the way to pick up my BFF, Amanda! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that she had decided to run the 5K on Friday. So I signed up for that too. The unofficial Dopey Ė all 3 races.

Surprisingly, there were no delays for the flight and soon enough we were up in the air! It was an uneventful flight, which is just the way I like it, and we landed a few minutes early. Since Iím impatient, I always rent a car. I like to think Iím in control of my journey time rather than someone else, even if Iím not. Itís all in my head, I suppose. I scored a stellar deal with Budget for $75 for all 5 days, so thatís worth it! Besides, we had a lot of ground to cover in the next few hours: race expo, grocery store, check in to the hotel, and finally dinner. Whew! That would take forever with Disney transport, never mind the grocery store. But we got it all done and in time to meet Beth and friends at our resort for the make your own pasta dinner and a little Yeehaa Bob!! The pasta was delicious, but as mentioned in Bethís report, a huge serving! I barely ate half of it. We enjoyed the beginning of the Yeehaa Bob show, but had to hit the hay early since our first early wake-up call would be by 4:50 the following morning.

We headed back to our Royal Room while seeing the Illuminations fireworks over the tops of the trees, got our clothes ready for the race the next morning (which we would be taking the bus to, not walking to this one) and went to sleep.

Coming up: Race 1, the 5K family fun run!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVisited WDW 4 times while little from 1979 to 1990 ~ Jan. 1998, Doubletree ~ Nov. 1998, Disney Institute ~ Sept. 2000, E. Caribbean Disney Magic ~ July 2001, Courtyard Downtown Disney ~ March 2003, Comfort Inn ~ June 2004, POR ~ Jan. 2006, POFQ ~ May 2007, All Star Vacation home ~ Jan. 2008, POFQ Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2008, SSR ~ Nov. 2009, CBR ~ March 2010, AsMu Princess Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2010, Disneyland Half Marathon ~ Nov. 2010, CSR ~ Jan. 2011 WDW Marathon ~ Oct. 2011 Wine&Dine Half Marathon, POR ~ Jan. 2012 Relay Marathon, POP ~ May 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge, CBR Pirate room ~ Sept. 2012 Sheraton LBV ~ Nov. 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek ~ Jan. 2013 Goofy Challenge, POR Royal Room ~ Apr. 2013 POP ~ Jan 2014, marathon volunteer ~
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Another marathon report! Great start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsugirlinutah View Post
Yay, yay! So excited to hear about your experience!
Thanks! I don't write many reports but it does help to remember your trip and experience that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfancolleen View Post
I am in awe of you! Having done a half, there is NO way I could've done a full the next day!
But I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!
That's what all the training is for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Great start! Congrats on getting over that knee injury and being able to get fit enough to do this.
That was tough, more mentally than physically. The first Half after the surgery, the Wine and Dine, was a huge impact for my mind. Knowing I could continue doing these silly things!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
I'm impressed with the fortitude that goes into training for this. Great job.
Oh, it's a LOT of training!! But there's a reason for it - it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Great start!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince View Post
I'm going to be in this report a lot!

Congrats on the 2:28! I was able to get 2:30 during a half in March of 2011 and haven't come close to that time since then! I need a new goal, so maybe that will be it: a new half marathon PR!

Looking forward to more!
Always gotta have those goals. At least for me, anyway, or the motivation goes away quickly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty hailey View Post
I'm here and ready to hear more
There ya go!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sounds like a great plan to stay within walking distance of the corrals. Do they not recommend doing that because of safety issues crossing the streets? It's great that your friend came with you.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Oh my goodness - all three races? Wow, you really are a sucker for punishment, aren't you?!

I can't wait to hear all about it and I hope the idea of walking over to the corrals all works out for you.

Trying our best to enjoy Athens on a baking hot day on our magical Mediterranean vacation. The trip report for our weekends in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Mark's birthday
1 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think runDisney SHOULD add a Dopey medal for doing all three!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyLand too many times to count; DisneyWorld: ('82; '94; '00; '04; '05; '08 - twice!; '10;'11 - twice; '13); DCL (all 4 ships): ('00, '05, '06, '10, '11, '13); DVC Hilton Head Resort :D ('06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13 - twice)
cubfancolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Great start can't wait to read more.
My Previous TripsWDW 2013, WDW 2012, WDW 2011, WDW 2009, WDW 2007, WDW 2005, WDW 2004, WDW 2002, WDW 1998
roaminggnome is offline   Reply With Quote