Howdy and Welcome to TX, Mickey! Oct 20-27, 2012 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Sharing Your Adventure: Disney Cruise Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Howdy and Welcome to TX, Mickey! Oct 20-27, 2012

aboard!

I thought Iíd go ahead and get this thing started since itís just under 99 days from our VERY FIRST DISNEY CRUISE!! We are finally in double digit territory. I should be dancing, yeah... I think we started the countdown clock somewhere in the low 400s. It has been a long wait but the next few months are already promising to fly by.

Last year, after numerous rumors and lots of speculation, the Disney Cruise Line announced their plans and itineraries for 2012. I was overjoyed to say the least when Galveston was confirmed as a port of call! I could not wait to book a trip! In fact, I booked our trip in June 2011, not too long after the news was released.

Howdy and Welcome to Texas Mickey!

The title pretty much suggests the ďreasonĒ why this trip was booked. We live in Houston and Galveston is less than a stoneís throw from us so why not?? After discussing our trip at dinner with some friends of ours, they were on board with going too. YAY! The more the merrier.

Quick overview:

Who - David, Shelley, Brian, Kim, Taylor and McKenzie
What - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise
When - October 20-27, 2012
Where - Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel
Why - Because Disney is sailing from our backyard!!
How - The Disney Magic

The Cruising Parties:

David - (48) This will be Davidís second cruise but his 1st Disney cruise. It could be considered a 1st cruise for him as the last time he cruised was over 20 years ago.

Shelley - thatís me! (41) This will be my 1st cruise, Disney or otherwise. I am super excited and canít wait.

David and Me on the Wild Africa Trek at AK, May 2011

The Evans Family:

Brian Ė (49) I have known Brian for 20+ years. Not sure if thatís a good or bad thing. This will be his 1st Disney cruise but has cruised a few times in the past. Curses me all the time for planting the Disney seed in his wife, Kim!

Kim Ė (43) Brianís DW. I think she is as excited as I am as this will be her 1st cruise too!

Taylor Ė (18) Brian and Kimís son. This will be his 1st cruise and his 2nd Disney experience. He has been to WDW once before.

McKenzie/Mac Ė (11) Brian and Kimís daughter. This will be her 1st cruise and her 1st Disney experience!

Even though I am not planning the Evans Family part of the trip, I wanted to include them in my PTR/TR since we are traveling together. We have linked our reservations in hopes that we can sit together at the dinners and for any other on board planning type things.

Continued in following post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg David and Shelley.jpg (39.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Brian.jpg (14.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Kimi 2.jpg (9.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor.jpg (14.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg McKenzie 2.jpg (11.3 KB, 288 views)

Just Me and My Girl ~ May 29 - June 2, 2012 - A PTR/TR (under construction )

Howdy and Welcome to TX, Mickey Oct 20-27, 2012 - A PTR/TR (under construction )
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDL Summer 1977; DL Summer 1980; WDW Summer 1982; WDW-US June 1992; WDW June 1997; DL-US June 2002; WDW June 2009; WDW Nov 2009; WDW Oct 2010; WDW-US May 2011; WDW-US May/June 2012; DCL Magic Oct 2012
Shelley the Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Great start Shelley!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

As promised in my other PTR/TR (link in siggy below), following are the pictures of my travel binder for the cruise. I will update it throughout the report as it is always a work in progress. Hereís whatís in it so far:

Front Cover (this will also become a door magnet after a few tweaks)

Inside cover - Planning Timeline, Confirmation and Welcome Mail from Disney, Disney Vacation Connection checklist (I printed this before Disney ix-nayed the program)

1st section - Cruise at a Glance, Disney Magic deck plans

2nd section - Packing Lists/Tips

Continued in following post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030864.jpg (11.3 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg P1030866.jpg (13.3 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg P1030868.jpg (13.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg P1030869.jpg (13.9 KB, 277 views)

Howdy and Welcome to TX, Mickey Oct 20-27, 2012 - A PTR/TR (under construction )
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDL Summer 1977; DL Summer 1980; WDW Summer 1982; WDW-US June 1992; WDW June 1997; DL-US June 2002; WDW June 2009; WDW Nov 2009; WDW Oct 2010; WDW-US May 2011; WDW-US May/June 2012; DCL Magic Oct 2012
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

3rd section - Port of Galveston Information, 1st Day and Daily Activities, Passporter PassPockets

4th section - Gift Cards, Restaurants, Clubs, On Board Activities

5th section - Door Magnets, Port and Excursion Information

Last section - Cruise Tips and other FYI

I want to incorporate some kind of ďcountdownĒ in my PTR to help pass the weeks/days until we leave and to add a little fun. Please help me decide if I should do DCL facts as they relate to us and the Magic or do a Texas State trivia type with state facts and the like.

Oh and if anyone has any tips or comments during any segment of my PTR please feel free to post them. Being a first time cruiser, I really could use all the hints or tips I can get.

Next up Ė Some Pros and Cons of Disney coming to Galveston and Shore Excursions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030870.jpg (11.8 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg P1030871.jpg (12.2 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg P1030872.jpg (13.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg P1030873.jpg (12.4 KB, 270 views)

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Great start Shelley!
Thanks Marnie!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Great start! I'd like to hear facts about Texas, as I'm ashamed I don't know much about the state.

Enjoying beautiful Mykonos on our magical Mediterranean vacation. Trip reports are now also underway for our weekend visiting Leeds Castle and Sissinghurst and a day out in London.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in Paris!
4 days, 18 hours, 48 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Great start, Shelley! Yay for double digits! It's so much fun planning a cruise! Bring on the Texas info. I've only been once when I was 10 and travelling with my step-father, who was on tour with the Boston Pops. We went to Austin, Dallas, Houston and Brownsville (with a side-trip to Mexico, of course).

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 4
Great start, love the binder what a way to stay organized.
Love to hear some fun facts about your home state.

Our Surprise trip to WDW, Dec. 2011.

Follow along on my TR http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...2-18-11-a.html
My Countdown Counting down to: Celebrating the Platinum, teen and hey it's great to be 8 years!
Celebrating family style at the Poly and on the Dream!!!!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 1992 Honeymoon, May/June 1998, May 2003 Timeshare, May 2006 Timeshare, Dec. 2007 CBR, Nov 2009 Poly, Dec. 2011 Poly.
valegirl5292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Sounds like a great trip. I enjoy reading about the Cruises that start from somewhere other than Port Canaveral.
shazza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Great binder!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Great start! I'd like to hear facts about Texas, as I'm ashamed I don't know much about the state.
Thanks Cheryl. Well, if you ever want to know anything about TX you just ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Great start, Shelley! Yay for double digits! It's so much fun planning a cruise! Bring on the Texas info. I've only been once when I was 10 and travelling with my step-father, who was on tour with the Boston Pops. We went to Austin, Dallas, Houston and Brownsville (with a side-trip to Mexico, of course).
Thanks so much Laurie! I have been having alot of fun planning the cruise even way back when I first booked. I'm big on research and finding out as much as I can before hand. David and I are trying to narrow down shore excursions right now so I can be ready at booking date.

Sounds like it was a trip to remember! The Boston Pops! How . You may have to tell me about that trip some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valegirl5292 View Post
Great start, love the binder what a way to stay organized. Love to hear some fun facts about your home state.
The binders have been quite helpful in keeping everything together and organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
Sounds like a great trip. I enjoy reading about the Cruises that start from somewhere other than Port Canaveral.
Thank you! I know other cruise lines cruise from Galveston but this will be a first for Disney. I am excited to be able to have Disney so close to home. It will be a first for me and Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Great binder!
Thanks so much!

So far the TX State info is winning by a landslide! I was kinda leaning that way but have done research on both. Stay tuned....

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Last edited by Shelley the Pooh; 07-19-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Well I wasn't going to start any new PTR/TRs as I'm having trouble keeping up with the few that I am reading, but we've been considering a cruise and you suckered me in. We've never been on a cruise before so I'm looking forward to hearing what another first time cruiser thinks. I'm also curious to hear how the TX itineraries differ from the other cruises as I've read a few Eastern and Western itinerary TRs.

Looks like you've got a great start on the plans with your binder. Down to double digits! That's always a nice feeling. Can't wait to read more about your plans and eventually your trip!

Hello Princess, Welcome Home! A Feb 2014 TR - COMPLETE 06/09/2014

My Previous Trips[WDW 1985, DLR 1995, WDW March 2000, DLR 2002, DLR 2006, WDW August 2009 - CSR, WDW January 2012 - POP, February 2014 - AKV Kidani]
stardust190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust190 View Post
Well I wasn't going to start any new PTR/TRs as I'm having trouble keeping up with the few that I am reading, but we've been considering a cruise and you suckered me in. We've never been on a cruise before so I'm looking forward to hearing what another first time cruiser thinks. I'm also curious to hear how the TX itineraries differ from the other cruises as I've read a few Eastern and Western itinerary TRs.

Looks like you've got a great start on the plans with your binder. Down to double digits! That's always a nice feeling. Can't wait to read more about your plans and eventually your trip!
Thanks so much for joining in and the sweet comments Missy! I can so relate to you about keeping up with all the PTR/TRs. I am having the same issue and I really want to read them and comment.

I will spare no details in what I've gone through planning this trip (epsecially since its Disney's first time to TX, there isn't alot of info out there) and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to post away. I have always been a fan of collective/group learning.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

great start - count me in for the rest of the PTR

Holly
TR: My Consolation Vacation - Wildwood
PTR: Aug 17-31 2014
My Best Trip Ever!
First Disney Cruise
Baltimore Washington Weekend
My Countdown Counting down to: Return trip to the Mouse
329 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW '76, '80, '81, '83, '85, '88, '90, '91, '92, '96, '98, '00, '06, '11 England '91, '95, '99, '02, '11, '12 France 2004 Up and Down East Coast of US
mommapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Cool, Shelley!! I can't wait to hear what a hometown girl thinks about cruising from Galveston.

I bow down to your organizational skills.

My Countdown Counting down to: Spring Break Trip to DLR
Having fun out West!
My Previous TripsDLR Villas at the Grand Californian September 2013 (Half-Marathon Weekend); DLR Villas at the Grand Californian March 2013; BCV/AKL-Jambo September/October 2012; DLR Villas at the Grand Californian February 2012; BCV December 2011; DLR Grand Californian June 2011; POR February 2011; DLR Villas at the Grand Californian September 2010 (half-marathon weekend); BC January 2010 (marathon weekend); WL June 2009; WL January 2006 (marathon weekend); GF January 2001 (marathon weekend); GF May 1999 (honeymoon, including cruise on Disney Magic); and Off Property in August 1997, Summer 1993, Summer 1991, and August 1981 (my first trip!)
shnewell is offline   Reply With Quote