Victoria's 1st Cruise on the Biiiiiig Boat - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Sharing Your Adventure: Disney Cruise Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 3
Victoria's 1st Cruise on the Biiiiiig Boat

We just got home from 7 days on the Magic out of Galveston. Victoria(my DGD) kept telling everyone we were going on a biiiig boat and spreading her arms out wide hence the title. I will do a little intro today and sort out my notes later for the actual trip report.

Original cruisers (booked last fall):

Mary - me, 50+, 1st DCL cruise but 5th cruise
Keith, DH, 50+, 1st DCL but 4th cruise
Katrina, DD, 30+, 1st DCL but 2nd cruise
Victoria, DGD, 20 mos, 1st Cruise and 1st Disney vacation

DD decided that this would be easier and a little cheaper than a WDW trip so we booked it. THen late summer, my parents decided they would join us.

Johnnie, my mom, 79, 1st DCL but 4th cruise
Willard, my dad, 78, 1st DCL but 4th cruise

They both adore Victoria and really just wanted to see her experience it all.

Then a little over a week before departure, found out DS was having some serious personal issues and needed to leave college and return home. My parents offered to pay his fare and share their cabin. We had to drive to Austin, pack him up, get him home and then go shopping because he did not have proper clothes. It was an exciting week. We got everything done and were packed and ready to leave Sat, morning.

Last minute addition:

Travis, DS, 20 yrs, 1st DCL and 2nd cruise

I will stop here and continue (hopefully tomorrow).
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOrlando/Daytona Beach 1997 WDW Jan 2000 WDW(visit Daughter) June 2000 WDW Dec 2001 WDW/Universal Dec 2007 WDW April 2010 DCL Magic Nov 2012 WDW Sept 2014
mcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 6
Looking forward to hearing about your cruise!

My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing on the Disney Dream!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOKW Jan 2013; DCL Dream Oct 2012; POR July 2012; DCL Magic May 2012; POFQ Mar 2012; POFQ Jan 2012; WL Dec 2011; WL Sep/Oct 2011; BC Sept 2011; WL Dec 2010; DCL Magic Nov/Dec 2010; WL Jun 2010; WL Dec 2009; DCL Wonder Oct 2009; WL June 2009; VB June 2009; POR Feb 2009; YC Dec 2008; FWCabin Oct 2008; WL June 2008; DCL Wonder May 2008; AKL May 2008; Poly Feb 2008; Poly Dec 2007; WL Nov 2007; CSR Oct 2007; Poly Sept 2007; WL Sept 2007; YC July 2007; BWI July 2007 (twice!); YC June 2007; WL Mar 2007; YC Dec 2006; WL Sept 2006; YC July 2006; WL Feb 2006; Pop Aug 2005; WL June 2005; WL Oct 2004; WL Dec 2003; YC Nov 2003; WL Aug 2003; BC Aug 2003; WL July 2003; POR Apr 2003; BC Feb 2003; BC May 2002; CBR Feb 2002; ASSp Sept 2001; FW Cabin July 2001; CBR May 2001; OKW Apr 2001; CBR Nov 2000; CSR Oct 2000; OKW Aug 2000; DCL Magic Feb 2000; BC July 1999; CBR Aug 1998; ASM June 1998; CR Jan 1996; DL Feb 1990
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can't wait to hear about it! Hope it was fun for everyone. Hope DCL measures up to your previous cruises.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Great start.

Enjoying time with my donkey boy on our holiday visit to Disneyland Paris. The trip report for our Italy road trip is now complete, but the ones for our weekend away in Longleat and Stonehenge and our weekend away in Brussels are both continuing.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: My birthday
13 hours, 43 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 8 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

What a nice family!
disney fan 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Day 1

We had the car packed Friday nite and we all went to bed early. My parents drove over so that Katrina and Travis could ride down with them. Victoria fell asleep and got a 45 min nap before we arrived at my sister's house. She and my brother in law were driving us to the terminal and keeping our cars at their house. We only had one glitch when a rude driver blocked the road once we got in the port. He looked right at me then scooted up so there was not room to pass by him. We got all the luggage on a cart and off it went. Didn't have to wait outside; right in and thru the first checkpoint. Katrina's hat set the alarm off but not other problems. Waited for one family at the checkin desk and were sitting in the waiting area within 5 min!!! We were in group 6. Victoria was all excited so I walked over to the kid checkin area with her and double checked that all was right. About 2 min after we returned to the seats, they called for our boarding. We were trying to show Victoria the big boat but she really couldn't "get" the big picture. I managed to not actually cry when we boarded. They do a very good job of keeping you moving without feeling like you are being pushed around. We were taking in all that we could while making our way to Deck 9. At first we were going to Parrot Cay but a CM told us it would be better to go to Topsider's. We all found something to fill our tummies (delicious chilled pineapple soup) then walked around some. While sitting outside eating, a CM came offering the Drink of the Day, so me and DH bought one in the cup. He then talked Katrina into a beer package. This turned out to not be a good thing. She prefers Corona which they do not have on tap so no beer mug. What it was - a case of 24 beers was delivered to the cabin with a plastic bucket. We had to get Charlie our room steward to fell the bucket each day to cool more beer. This is fine if you stay in the cabin all the time. It was not convenient when we went to the clubs. Who wants to carry a bucket around with them?!?!? Lesson learned. Victoria was so excited and just giggling and running from spot to spot. Walked down to Flounder's Reef; Victoria walked in and just made herself at home. The 2 CM's were just as sweet as could be. We laughed at the "YUCK BUCKETS" for nasty toys! About this time we were allowed to our cabins. We kinda just hung out and looked out the verandah for a while. Before long both mine and DH's luggage came but not Katrina's. She had messed up and only brought a couple of diapers in the carryon. For some reason, Victoria was a tinkle toad today. We made our way to the lobby and Mickey and Goofy were there. Poor Mickey squated down for Victoria to sit on his leg! Pretty sure he got a bit damp. She was not afraid of either one but didn't really want the photo taken. She was much more interested in looking at them and touching them. DH had not came down with us and he called to say Katrina's suitcases were there so he found the diapers and brought us one. I had put most of my stuff away earlier but Katrina went up to put her stuff away. She is a bit OCD and had everything well organized. We had enough room to put everything away and nothing was out in the way. Katrina and Victoria had the desk/TV area and we used the small dresser thingy by the closet. We ended up piling our dirty clothes on the top of the chest storage thingy. We always really appreciated the split bathrooms. Charlie also brought us a diaper genie. He had already put up a packand play but we let him have that back. We have ruined Victoria and she has to sleep with someone!

To be continued.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOrlando/Daytona Beach 1997 WDW Jan 2000 WDW(visit Daughter) June 2000 WDW Dec 2001 WDW/Universal Dec 2007 WDW April 2010 DCL Magic Nov 2012 WDW Sept 2014
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

photos

DMG-121110-Boarding-3289343.jpg

DMG-121110-MnMCanada8x10-3296449.jpg

DMG-121110-MnMCanada8x10-3296979.jpg

DMG-121110-Sailaway6x8-3293436.jpg

gonna try again but am just leaving this photos for now. Sorry they are small. I am not feeling so good so I am gonna go rest.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great first morning/ afternoon. The photos are adorable!

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Yay - you're on board!

Enjoying time with my donkey boy on our holiday visit to Disneyland Paris. The trip report for our Italy road trip is now complete, but the ones for our weekend away in Longleat and Stonehenge and our weekend away in Brussels are both continuing.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

13 hours, 43 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 8 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Day 1, cont

We were scheduled for dinner in Parrot Cay. We laughed because our dinner rotation was "PLAPPLAP" which for some reason we found hilarious. No one changed for dinner. I really like the decor in Parrot Cay - of course I like anything islandy and animals. I was very amused by the birds on the light fixtures with their cute little clothes. Our servers were Andrae (Jamaica) and Gerry (Phillipines). After we got seated we all noticed how much the ship was swaying. As dinner progressed, poor Travis got paler. Before the entree was served, he went down to medical for some bonine. He then walked around on deck for a bit which seemed to help. He ate some of his entree but not much. We were all impressed with the service. Andrae had food for Victoria within 5 min of sitting each night. She had her first Mickey Bar which Grandma helped her with. After dinner, Katrina and Victoria returned to the cabin and the rest of us made our way to Walt Disney Theater. The opening show was cute but if I had missed it - no big deal. We all turned in early that night. I did go up to Deck 9 and fixed our Tervis cups with ice water before turning in. Victoria was curled up on our bed asleep and I just cuddled up with her and off to night-night.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Sorry Travis got sick during dinner.

13 hours, 43 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Too bad the ship's movement got to Travis. I think it's usually a bit rough the first night as the ship pulls out into open water.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for reading along. Travis did not suffer anymore. I had an update written up but lost it. Trying again.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Day 2

Victoria woke us up at 6:45 today. When I went to the bathroom, the toilet would not work. We called and someone was knocking on the door in a few minutes. He said several cabins around us were having the same problem probably caused by something bad being flushed! It was fixed within the hour but I just walked down to my parents cabin. We got ready for the day and took Victoria up to Topsiders for some breakfast. We took our time and let her play a little then Katrina took her down to Flounder's Reef. She walked right in and barely had a Bye-Bye for her mom. We had 11:00 reservations at Palo. I forgot about the dress code so we were met at the door and reminded. Back down to 6, a quick change and back up to 10. Our cabins were handily located near the aft elevators so going up to Topsiders or Palo was easy peasy. We were handed over to our waiter, Meiko from Croatia. He gave us the tour and explained every item on the buffet and explained about the cooked to order dishes. Meiko was amazing - very sweet and easy on the eyes. Palo wasn't too busy so he had time to chat and we all enjoyed the conversation. I am so thankful to all the Passporter's who recommended this so much. This meal was sooooo goooood!! We ate until we were ready to burst. Katrina and Travis tried caviar for the first time - not fans. The plan had been to pick up Victoria and head to the lobby to meet the princesses. Didn't happen! Victoria was asleep when Katrina got there so we all ended up back in the cabins for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kats Camera 059.jpg (26.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Kats Camera 049.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Kats Camera 053.jpg (29.2 KB, 11 views)
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Day 2 cont

About 12:45 we headed down to Promenade Lounge for a little trivia. The hostess was very entertaining. She was from Columbia and asked everyone to correct her pronunciations to help her English. After losing, we walked over to the shops and had a look around. I didn't see a lot I really wanted for myself but for Victoria....coulda spent a fortune. Managed to leave without spending anything. Victoria was hungry so we hit the forward elevators and headed up to 9. We ran into Goofy at the gazebo and had a visit. Victoria seemed to really enjoy Goof. She sat down so Goof sat down and the scooched around. Katrina got Victoria a hot dog and some fries and we sat down by the pool while she ate. After she ran around a little, they returned to the cabin for some quiet time and the rest of us did a little touring. We returned to the cabin and got dressed for formal nite. Since neither me nor my mom remember to pack our husbands' suits; the guys wore slacks and dress shirts. This was not a problem because we saw several people much more casual than us. We went down a little early to catch some characters. Once again we got Mickey and Goofy. It was time to head to Lumiere's. This is also a very pretty space; especially liked the main entry light fixtures with the roses dropping petals. Andrae again took excellent care of Victoria. I am sorry about so little info about the food. I am terrible about photos and just forgot about keeping notes on what we were eating. The only thing I remember not being liked at all was a seafood bisque - Katrina and Travis hated it. I ordered a vegetarian entree every night. They were all good but nothing outstanding. Gerry did some brain teasers with TRavis tonite using crayons and toothpicks. We figured them all out except one - it was fun. On the first night we had asked Gerry for 2 glasses of soy milk to go for Victoria's nighttime bottle. Every night after, after they served dessert, he brought out the glasses. It was very funny when they brought Victoria's Mickey bar tonite. She looked at and started giggling and grinning. She ate almost all of it - with chocolate from ear to ear. After dinner, went back to cabin where we changed into comfy clothes (a nightgown for V) and headed to the Walt Disney Theater to watch "Twice Charmed". This show was very good. Victoria was entranced but finally just passed out about half way thru. After the show, DH, Travis and myself went to Rockin D. We watched Ed Alonzo's hilarious magic show and then Match Your Mate gameshow. The oldest couple had been married for 64 years! They were so cute. We saw them several times each day and they were always holding hands or touching. After the game show we decided that we better hit the hay. Victoria would be waking us up too soon.
My PassPorter Bookshelf