A Little Trans-Atlantic Magic... PTR - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Sharing Your Adventure: Disney Cruise Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

A Little Trans-Atlantic Magic... PTR

It's been a crazy December... I found out in early December that my office is closing on February 28, and we were all given the option of relocating to Boulder, CO or being let go. Since Boulder isn't an option for my family, I chose the lay-off. *sigh* I've been with the company for a little over 8 years, so it has been tough to wrap my head around it.

When we got that news, I knew I had to cancel our February trip to WDW, because I was going to be too busy with work, and at that point, I wasn't prepared to commit to that. I would rather get paid out for my vacation time instead of blowing it.

We had worked out a number of different plans, trying to figure out what I was going to do for work... my company is giving me 12 weeks of severance, which is very generous and appreciated. With that in mind, I decided to talk to my boss at the bbq place (where I currently work part-time) about working there full time, at least through the summer (for the flexibility). So with that settled (and insurance coverage given through the bbq place - my big worry), I revised my budget and was very relieved with the outcome.

So, with that done and sorted, mom and I discussed the possibility of a vacation over the summer break. With no real constraints at work, I figured it would be pretty easy to find something to do! We discussed some ideas, tossing around London again, and a few other destinations, before mom said she really really really wanted to do a cruise. Well, ok, twist my arm! I did a little hunting, and then my jaw dropped! I found an amazing fare on Disney for a 14 night transatlantic cruise from Galveston to Barcelona, for an inside cabin! We joked around for a bit about it, but the wheels started turning and turning and then really cranking!

I decided to check our Interline website, to see if just maybe there would be an even better rate there... and lo and behold, it was even CHEAPER, and was for an OUTSIDE cabin! Then, after asking a few questions on the forums, plus contacting some friends outside of PP for some information... we decided to seriously look at the cruise.

It departs on Saturday, May 18, out of Galveston, TX. Galveston is roughly a 9 hour drive, so that's not bad. But we'd end up in Barcelona... and we'd have to get home from Spain. So I went onto the site we use to book standby flights... and sure enough, we fly out of Barcelona to Houston (via Newark). Three flights a day - which is good for us - gives us lots of options!

Departing on May 18 would mean that Meri would miss the last week of school (well, the last 3.5 days). So I had to check with a friend of mine who is her vice principal, to ask if she'd be missing anything important. Nope - nada! Phew!

For the last bit of research, mom had to call the Interline number, to speak to an agent, to get details about the cruise rate, etc... she got on the phone this morning as soon as they opened, and liked what she heard, so she went ahead and booked the cruise, paid in full, with trip insurance!

Holy cow! We're going on a Disney cruise! For 14 nights!

I still have a LOT of figuring / planning / researching to do... so this PTR will be drawn out and lots of "hmmms" and "maybes"... feel free to throw in any input you have about the Magic, etc! Opinions are always welcomed!

Up next: Where is our cabin? What is our itinerary?
Come read my recent trip reports: TransAtlantic on the Disney Magic: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...t-live-tr.html and Meri's Dream Cruise: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4268752
http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic13079_16.gif
My Countdown Counting down to: Having a Wonder-Full Cruise Vacation!
198 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes
My Previous Trips* Feb 2015 - Disney Wonder Caribbean Cruise * Feb 2014 - CBR / Disney Dream Bahamas Cruise * June 2013 - Disneyland Paris * May 2013 - Disney Magic Transatlantic Cruise * Oct 2012 - Disneyland * Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) * Feb 2012 - Boardwalk Villas / Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) * Oct 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside / Bonnet Creek * Feb 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Room) / Animal Kingdom Lodge * Nov 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter * Feb 2009 - Coronado Springs * Feb 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside * Sept 2006 - Boardwalk Inn * Prior to 2006 - Too many visits to count...
Principessa_di_Fata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I'm so happy you got such a great deal!

My Countdown Counting down to: Disney World
150 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 1988, DL Dec. 2006, WDW June 2010, WDW June 2013
dutchdisneyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

OMG... what an amazing trip that is going to be! What is Interline?

April 2012
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring Break 2013
checking out the new Fantasyland!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMarch 1989 - offsite; April/May 2002 - Coronado Springs; March 2003 - All Star Movies; May 2003 - offsite; July 2003 - Port Orleans Riverside; April/May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside; September 2007 - All Star Sports; August/September 2008 - All Star Movies and Pop Century; June 2009 - Pop Century; August 2010 - All Star Sports & Disney Wonder; June 2011 - All Star Music; April 2012 - Disney Fantasy
pamcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Signing on - so excited for you!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyLand too many times to count; DisneyWorld: ('82; '94; '00; '04; '05; '08 - twice!; '10;'11 - twice; '13); DCL (all 4 ships): ('00, '05, '06, '10, '11, '13); DVC Hilton Head Resort :D ('06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13 - twice)
cubfancolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Interline is a program for airline employees (possibly for all travel industry, not sure) and they occasionally get some amazing deals on there. I have searched on there for Disney cruises for years, but haven't found anything even close to this amazing until now!

I still can't wrap my head around this. I keep SAYING it, but it hasn't really sunk in yet... we're going on a 14 day Disney cruise... it just sounds so unreal!

I need to get our confirmation number and information so I can be completely prepared to check in and get Meri signed up for the kids club, and get our Palo reservation, and... and... and...

LOL! And I still need to research Barcelona! Tammy is helping me on the Houston end of things, trying to figure out the parking situation / shuttle (or her being our shuttle). I'm trying to talk her into coming along.
Come read my recent trip reports: TransAtlantic on the Disney Magic: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...t-live-tr.html and Meri's Dream Cruise: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4268752
My Previous Trips* Feb 2015 - Disney Wonder Caribbean Cruise * Feb 2014 - CBR / Disney Dream Bahamas Cruise * June 2013 - Disneyland Paris * May 2013 - Disney Magic Transatlantic Cruise * Oct 2012 - Disneyland * Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) * Feb 2012 - Boardwalk Villas / Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) * Oct 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside / Bonnet Creek * Feb 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Room) / Animal Kingdom Lodge * Nov 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter * Feb 2009 - Coronado Springs * Feb 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside * Sept 2006 - Boardwalk Inn * Prior to 2006 - Too many visits to count...
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Oh my goodness, how amazing! I'm so glad this all worked out for you.

Meeting Captain Mickey on our magical Mediterranean vacation - the trip report is now underway. The trip report for our vacation around southern England also continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Watching the cycling at the Commonwealth Games
3 days, 1 hours, 15 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
This is so great! I hope you won't be disappointed in the smaller Magic after your recent cruise. There won't be as many dining venues available-- but also no add-on charges in the regular restaurants. I LOVE the Magic. On the Panama repo cruise I did several of the cooking demonstrations and really enjoyed those. Also, if they offer the galley tour, try to do that. And the "Art of the Theme Ship" tour is fantastic and goes into the imagineering of the ship. These are tours that you can't sign up for until you're on board. Check your navigators every night and sign up as soon as they announce the tours or demonstrations. Be sure to get a punch card at Cove Cafe-- you get a free beverage every 5 or 6 drinks. There's a charge for the drinks there, but no charge for the fantastic pastries! Bring (or buy on board) refillable mugs for all of you. You can fill them at the free beverage station and avoid the charges at the theater.

I'm so excited for you!

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Trailblazer

How cool is this?!? So excited for you, and looking forward to hearing all about your plans!

My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing on the Disney Dream!
131 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOKW Jan 2013; DCL Dream Oct 2012; POR July 2012; DCL Magic May 2012; POFQ Mar 2012; POFQ Jan 2012; WL Dec 2011; WL Sep/Oct 2011; BC Sept 2011; WL Dec 2010; DCL Magic Nov/Dec 2010; WL Jun 2010; WL Dec 2009; DCL Wonder Oct 2009; WL June 2009; VB June 2009; POR Feb 2009; YC Dec 2008; FWCabin Oct 2008; WL June 2008; DCL Wonder May 2008; AKL May 2008; Poly Feb 2008; Poly Dec 2007; WL Nov 2007; CSR Oct 2007; Poly Sept 2007; WL Sept 2007; YC July 2007; BWI July 2007 (twice!); YC June 2007; WL Mar 2007; YC Dec 2006; WL Sept 2006; YC July 2006; WL Feb 2006; Pop Aug 2005; WL June 2005; WL Oct 2004; WL Dec 2003; YC Nov 2003; WL Aug 2003; BC Aug 2003; WL July 2003; POR Apr 2003; BC Feb 2003; BC May 2002; CBR Feb 2002; ASSp Sept 2001; FW Cabin July 2001; CBR May 2001; OKW Apr 2001; CBR Nov 2000; CSR Oct 2000; OKW Aug 2000; DCL Magic Feb 2000; BC July 1999; CBR Aug 1998; ASM June 1998; CR Jan 1996; DL Feb 1990
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Oh my goodness, how amazing! I'm so glad this all worked out for you.
Thanks!! I really can't wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
This is so great! I hope you won't be disappointed in the smaller Magic after your recent cruise. There won't be as many dining venues available-- but also no add-on charges in the regular restaurants. I LOVE the Magic. On the Panama repo cruise I did several of the cooking demonstrations and really enjoyed those. Also, if they offer the galley tour, try to do that. And the "Art of the Theme Ship" tour is fantastic and goes into the imagineering of the ship. These are tours that you can't sign up for until you're on board. Check your navigators every night and sign up as soon as they announce the tours or demonstrations. Be sure to get a punch card at Cove Cafe-- you get a free beverage every 5 or 6 drinks. There's a charge for the drinks there, but no charge for the fantastic pastries! Bring (or buy on board) refillable mugs for all of you. You can fill them at the free beverage station and avoid the charges at the theater.

I'm so excited for you!
Thank you for all of your suggestions / advice! Anything else you can think of over time would be great! Mom will definitely do one of the tours. I laughed because our cabin is one of the "not recommended" ones from the PPer, but... whatever. Doesn't look like any 2nd floor ones are particularly awesome... but I think I'd rather be under the galley than under a nightclub... though we'll see what I have to say about that when we're on board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
How cool is this?!? So excited for you, and looking forward to hearing all about your plans!
I had a great talk with Crissy today about Barcelona and got some ideas... MAN I'm so excited!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Glad you got a good deal. Can't wait to read all about your trip
ctsmom116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 1
How exciting!! So great that you got a deal!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney Dream 2013 - - ASM and Wilderness Lodge 2011 - - CSR and AKL 2010 - - Hard Rock Hotel 2008
dwonderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Terri (DrDolphin) and her DH did this cruise a couple of years ago and did a TR. I don't know if I'm putting in the link correctly, but this might answer some of your questions:

A Magical Fairy Tale Honeymoon!! Updated 8/7 - The last 3 Installments - COMPLETE

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 5
I'm so happy for you! It sounds like an amazing trip, I can't wait to follow along. We just did our first Disney cruise in April on the Magic and we loved the ship.

Baby's First Trip to the World TR

My Countdown Counting down to: Baby on Board!
Baby has arrived!
My Previous TripsWDW FW July 1987, All Star Resort Nov 2000, BWV Oct 2001, BWV Oct 2002, OKW Feb 2003, OKW Oct 2003, BWV Apr 2004, BWV Nov 2004, OKW Oct 2005, CSR May 2006, OKW June 2007, SSR June 2008, BWV Jan 2011, BWV Dec 2011 DCL April 2012 DVC HHR May 2010 DVC Conciere Collection - Kapalua Bay Hotel Maui March 2002, March 2004 DVC RCI exchange Maui - Nov 2008
num1DVCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmom116 View Post
Glad you got a good deal. Can't wait to read all about your trip
Thanks! I look forward to sharing it with you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonderz View Post
How exciting!! So great that you got a deal!!
I am really excited - it's still so surreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Terri (DrDolphin) and her DH did this cruise a couple of years ago and did a TR. I don't know if I'm putting in the link correctly, but this might answer some of your questions:

A Magical Fairy Tale Honeymoon!! Updated 8/7 - The last 3 Installments - COMPLETE
The link worked, but unfortunately in her TR, she links to another site where she did her updates, and those pages no longer exist. So I could read the PTR stuff but not the TR. Though I did read about 12 foot waves! YIKES!!! LOL! We're definitely packing the dramamine patch thingy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1DVCfan View Post
I'm so happy for you! It sounds like an amazing trip, I can't wait to follow along. We just did our first Disney cruise in April on the Magic and we loved the ship.
I'm so glad you loved the ship! I've heard wonderful things!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principessa_di_Fata View Post
The link worked, but unfortunately in her TR, she links to another site where she did her updates, and those pages no longer exist. So I could read the PTR stuff but not the TR. Though I did read about 12 foot waves! YIKES!!! LOL! We're definitely packing the dramamine patch thingy!!
I'd forgotten that her report was on her blog page. Maybe she'll see this thread and pipe in with some info. I do recall that they had some rough seas to contend with!