PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums - View Single Post - Owner renting additional points?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
tjkraz
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
If there is an actual transfer of points occurring, then they can all be combined to book a single stay. If the reservation is made more than 7 months out, obviously they must all share the same Home resort.

For a standard rental, one option would be to book some nights with the owner's points and other nights with the rented points. Then DVC can "link" the two reservations together to insure an uninterrupted stay.

A split stay at different resorts would also be an option as you describe.

We've always used banking and borrowing to manage our points usage. More often that not we're in a borrowed state. Personally I don't care if we stay borrowed until the day our contracts expire. There's no cost associated with the borrowing process--we don't pay interest or fees on the borrowing. And DVC limits borrowing to just one year--it's not like we're foolishly squandering 2022 points on a 2018 trip.

Everybody has their own bookkeeping methods but I've never seen the wisdom in paying extra $$$ to rent or buy points when I still have some available to borrow.