PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums - View Single Post - Shades of Green (Disney Deluxe Resort)
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Minnie Lor
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
Loves Shades for so many reasons

Here are some of the things that we love about Shades (in no particular order)

Location: I love that we feel that we're right in the middle of the magic (you can see Wishes from many spots all over the property) and that we can walk to a monorail station.

Ambiance: I love that SOG is smaller and quiter than alot of the other resorts. It's very relaxing and peaceful.

Decor: I love all of the indoor and outdoor waterfalls and streams. The decor reminds us of Wilderness Lodge but with a lighter color pallet and no totem polls. There's a beautiful stone fireplace in the lobby and fireplace on the terrace/balcony outside and I think they're usually lit.

Comraderie and friendliness: People are so polite and respectful of each other. Yes, the kids still have melt downs when they're over tired but generally parents are aware of other guests. I really noticed this on my last trip and this is big... Men stood up on buses while they let ladies and children sit.

Size and layout of rooms: I love that I get my own patio or balcony and I love having an indoor hallway. We love having queen beds and a sofa sitting area. The room is very large but the bathroom is huge. Lots of room for privacy.

Price: Who can forget about price? I think the most that you pay for a standard room is $125 and you don't pay tax on that. Now they don't have value seasons but neither do they have a premium season. The price depends on you pay-grade so you might be paying as low as $93 a night .... still without tax. As Kathy said, you can buy your park tickets at a reduced price without any added tax and you can shop in the stores and not pay tax.

Food: There is a couple of quick CS that we like along with a sports bar that we eat at many times each trip. The prices are more in line with the real world. We've alos eaten at Mangino's Italian and it was very good. Not excellent but really very good. Shades also has a buffet but we're not overly impressed with it.

Cleanliness: Hands down the cleanest room and resort on all of Disney property. I've stayed at CSR, Contemp, Pop, and I've visited BC and Poly.

So that's our take on Shades. I'm sure that I have more things that I'll think of that I love about Shades. I'll post them here when I think of them.
Oct '99: CSR ~ May '02: CR ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Solo @ Pop ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~ Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop w/LeAnn ~ Sept '10: Solo @ Pop ~ Spring '11: AKL ~ Jan '12: Pop for 1/2 Marathon ~ Sept '12: 1st trip for DL 1/2 Marathon? ~ Feb '13: Pop w/pals? ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney w/PP's?
My Countdown Counting down to: Celebrating 15th anniversary at AKLV
We are taking it easy and having a blast!
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Last edited by Minnie Lor; 01-20-2008 at 05:23 PM..