PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums - View Single Post - Shades of Green (Disney Deluxe Resort)
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
LynneG
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Post Thanks / Like
We stayed at SOG for a week, last week. The room was very big. We liked having the sofa to separate our kids. It wasn't anywhere as fancy as a deluxe resort, but you have to remember it's the Army. Since we are Army, and are used to Army BOQs, I thought the hotel was nice. We stayed in the new wing, and I thought the rooms there were nicer than in the old part. We had a first floor room, overlooking the golf course. It was really quiet. The only think that bothered us was that somehow, the lights on the golf carts at 5 in the morning shown bright in our room, even with the curtains drawn.

It kicked me to pay $5 for parking each day, but I just figured that the room cost was just increased by that amount each day. For the closeness to MK and Epcot, I really liked the location. So much so, I'd either stay here again, or say somewhere on Disney ground. After stays off disney grounds, the closeness of everything was important to us, with younger kids.

Also, having the free parking at the disney parks was great. We used the SOG bus once, the first night we got there. We went to DS, and caught the bus with only about a 10 min. wait. Good drop off stop. Well, we returned to the stop at 9:05 pm, and were told we just missed the bus, and the next bus would be 10 pm. Ugh, it showed up at 10:15 pm. During both rides, we were contantly dripped on by the water from the air conditioner. The rest of the time, we drove our rental car or took the monorail/boat from the Poly. We thought the walk to the Poly was easy, and not very far, and also felt safe late at night with all the lights on the path.

If you want to feel like you're at disney, go to a disney resort. Other than mickey in the entrance and mickey waffle irons, it definitely reminded me of any other moderate hotel on beautiful grounds.

The pool areas are nice, but noisy the few times we used them.

We ate at the bar and the buffet. Both had good food, but nothing outstanding. However, costs were reasonable and not having to travel was a bonus.