Some older folks and Mission Space not a good mix? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Forums Closed
As of January 1, 2019, we have closed our forums. This is a decision we did not come to lightly, but it is necessary. The software our forums run on is just too out-of-date and it poses a significant security risk. The server software itself must be updated, and it cannot be without removing the forums.

So it is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to our long-running forums. They came online in 2000 and brought together so many wonderful Disney fans. We had friendships form, careers launch, couples marry, children born ... all because of this amazing community.

Thank you to each of you who were a part of this community. You made it possible.

And a very special thank you to our Guides (moderators), past and present, who kept our forums a happy place to be. You are the glue that held everything together, and we are forever grateful to you. Thank you aliceinwdw, Caldercup, MrsM, WillCAD, Fortissimo, GingerJ, HiddenMickey, CRCrazy, Eeyoresmom, disneyknut, disneydani, Cam22, chezp, WDWfan, Luvsun, KMB733, rescuesk, OhToodles!, Colexis Mom, lfredsbo, HiddenMickey, DrDolphin, DopeyGirl, duck addict, Disneybine, PixieMichele, Sandra Bostwick, Eeyore Tattoo, DyanKJ130, Suzy Q'Disney, LilMarcieMouse, AllisonG, Belle*, Chrissi, Brant, DawnDenise, Crystalloubear, Disneymom9092, FanOfMickey, Goofy4Goofy, GoofyMom, Home4us123, iamgrumpy, ilovedisney247, Jennifer2003, Jenny Pooh, KrisLuvsDisney, Ladyt, Laughaholic88, LauraBelle Hime, Lilianna, LizardCop, Loobyoxlip, lukeandbrooksmom, marisag, michnash, MickeyMAC, OffKilter_Lynn, PamelaK, Poor_Eeyore, ripkensnana, RobDVC, SHEANA1226, Shell of the South, snoozin, Statelady01, Tara O'Hara, tigger22, Tink and Co., Tinkerbelz, WDWJAMBA, wdwlovers, Wendyismyname, whoSEZ, WildforWD, and WvuGrrrl. You made the magic.

We want to personally thank Sara Varney, who coordinated our community for many years (among so many other things she did for us), and Cheryl Pendry, our Message Board Manager who helped train our Guides, and Ginger Jabour, who helped us with the PassPorter-specific forums and Live! Guides. Thank you for your time, energy, and enthusiasm​. You made it all happen.

There are other changes as well.

Why? Well, the world has changed. And change with it, we must. The lyrics to "We Go On" for IllumiNations say it best:

We go on to the joy and through the tears
We go on to discover new frontiers
Moving on with the current of the years.
We go on
Moving forward now as one
Moving on with a spirit born to run
Ever on with each rising sun.
To a new day, we go on.

It's time to move on and move forward.

PassPorter is a small business, and for many years it supported our family. But the world changed, print books took a backseat to the Internet, and for a long time now it has been unable to make ends meet. We've had to find new ways to support our family, which means new careers and less and less time available to devote to our first baby, PassPorter.

But eventually, we must move on and move forward. It is the right thing to do.

So we are retiring this newsletter, as we simply cannot keep up with it. Many thanks to Mouse Fan Travel who supported it all these years, to All Ears and MousePlanet who helped us with news, to our many article contributors, and -- most importantly -- to Sara Varney who edited our newsletter so wonderfully for years and years.

And we are no longer charging for the Live Guides. If you have a subscription, it's yours to keep for the lifetime of the Live Guides at no additional cost. The Live Guides will stay online, barring server issues and technical problems, for all of 2019.

That said, PassPorter is not going away. Most of the resources will remain online for as long as we can support them, and after that we will find ways to make whatever we can available. PassPorter means a great deal to us, and to many of you, and we will do our best to keep it alive in whatever way we can. Our server costs are high, and they'll need to come out of our pockets, so in the future you can expect some changes so we can bring those costs down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your amazing support over the years. Without you, there's no way us little guys could have made something like this happen and given the "big guys" a run for their money. PassPorter was consistently the #3 guidebook after the Unofficial and Official guides, which was really unheard of for such a small company to do. We ROCKED it thanks to you and your support and love!

If you miss us, you can still find some of us online. Sara started a new blog at DisneyParkPrincess.com -- I strongly urge you to visit and get on her mailing list. She IS the Disney park princess and knows Disney backward and forward. And I am blogging as well at JenniferMaker.com, which is a little craft blog I started a couple of years ago to make ends meet. You can see and hear me in my craft show at https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifermaker . Many PassPorter readers and fans are on Facebook, in groups they formed like the PassPorter Trip Reports and PassPorter Crafting Challenge (if you join, just let them know you read about it in the newsletter). And some of our most devoted community members started a forum of their own at Pixie Dust Lane and all are invited over.

So we encourage you to stay in touch with us and your fellow community members wherever works best for you!

Best wishes for a wonderful and magical new year!

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Going Behind the Scenes: Trivia, News, and Rumors at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
graygables
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Some older folks and Mission Space not a good mix?

Here's a link to a news report:

http://www.newsnet5.com/travelgetawa...38/detail.html

Old 05-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
Colexis Mom
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 9

Post Thanks / Like
Re: Some older folks and Mission Space not a good mix?

Old 05-06-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
klee
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently went on Mission Space for the first time in April and I loved it. I was nervous about it because of all the comments I have read about it on the boards and in ads. I got a fastpass and I am glad I did that because I probably would have chickened out if I had to stand in line for 45 minutes. I was only in line for about ten minutes and I know that during that time, I heard warnings about motion sickness, etc, etc four times during that wait. There is also a huge sign posted with all of this when you walk in. All people are different and handle different rides any many ways regardless of their age. People should know their limitations before they get on any ride. The monitors in the que even show how the ride operates. I just don't see what else Disney could add to make people understand themselves. This whole thing completely baffles me.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #4
A. Monster
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like

[ QUOTE ]
I was only in line for about ten minutes and I know that during that time, I heard warnings about motion sickness, etc, etc four times during that wait. There is also a huge sign posted with all of this when you walk in. All people are different and handle different rides any many ways regardless of their age. People should know their limitations before they get on any ride. The monitors in the que even show how the ride operates. I just don't see what else Disney could add to make people understand themselves. This whole thing completely baffles me.

[/ QUOTE ]

All those signs are enough to make anyone second guess riding! I would have chickened out, too, if I had to wait a long time because I seem to have motion sickness issues over the last few years. However, I took dramamine beforehand, and would have accepted all responsibility for myself if I had ended up feeling poorly afterwards. I felt fine, though, and loved it!

Old 05-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Taswira

Post Thanks / Like

[ QUOTE ]
The monitors in the que even show how the ride operates.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the rest of your post. How could people with heart problems and other serious conditions ignore all the warnings and take their chances? Not smart and not good.

However, everyone needs to be aware that what the monitors show in the onscreen simulation in the pre-show area is NOT the whole picture. Before the rides begins, the floor drops out from under the pods (ride capsules). The centrifuge starts spinning, to create the G-forces. But as the ride progresses, and on the screens within the pods you are maneuvering, each unit actually maneuvers on the arm of the centrifuge. For take-off, you are tilted back. At other points you are tilted left, right, moved up and down, etc. It matches the ride's video in the pod, creating the feeling of weightlessness, turns and such. This maneuvering combined with the video and the spinning, can make some people quite ill, even if other such rides don't affect them. There is really nothing else like Mission:Space.

I am 52 and have ridden it probably 250+ times since the first public testing. My only piece of advice they do NOT give you - - Remember to BREATHE! Shallow breathing is not a good thing on this ride.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
ripkensnana
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like

[ QUOTE ]
My only piece of advice they do NOT give you - - Remember to BREATHE! Shallow breathing is not a good thing on this ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this problem - about halfway through the ride, I found myself saying, "Breathe, breathe!!!"

Seriously, though, we made the mistake of taking my 87 year old mother on Mission: Space, and she had a great deal of chest pain. She told me afterwards that she really thought she was dying! The thing is, she's healthy as a horse for her age, with no heart problems. I guess that the ride affects everyone differently, and unless you know that you have a problem (with motion sickness, etc.), you can't really predict how your body will react.

Old 05-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
LorinMO
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, though, we made the mistake of taking my 87 year old mother on Mission: Space, and she had a great deal of chest pain. She told me afterwards that she really thought she was dying!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad your mom is ok.

I wonder if people are underestimating what 2G's are going to feel like. But, it's really hard to comprehend that if you've never experienced it before. I've only been on Mission Space once and can't remember if they explain what G's could feel like.

The easiest/layman's explanation is that a G is equal to the weight of your body. So, 2G's will feel like twice your body weight pressing against you. 3G's, three times your body weight. So, when you're on Mission Space and you're pulling a couple of G's you've potentially feel twice of your mass pressing down on you. It's no wonder people are feeling pressure in their chests and forgetting to breathe. Also, Mission Space is not like a rollercoaster where the G-force is variable. On Mission Space you are experiencing sustained G's. While it's only 2G's it still feels uncomfortable for some.

Can you imagine experiencing an actual lift-off at 7-9G's????

Like the posters above I found myself shallow breathing and had to remind myself to take deep breaths.

This concludes "Science with Lori". I hope you all don't think I'm a huge space geek now. I use to work with a bunch of space geeks and this stuff just rubbed off.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Dave Marx
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about being a "space geek" - there are alot of us out there. Isn't that why Mission:SPACE is so compelling?

Now, if you really want to pull gees in a simulator, head over to the Astronaut Hall of Fame in Titusville (now a branch of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex). They've got a centrifuge-based jet flight simulator there that has an emergency stop button for the passengers (probably pulls more like four gees). It has two, one-person pods, and either rider can push the panic button. When I rode, the other rider bailed - a big, burly guy wearing motorcycle leathers, maybe even motorcycle club colors. I wasn't about to look at him too closely - it's not polite to stare at a big, burly guy just after he's chickened on an amusement ride.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:08 AM   #9
WillCAD
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, in all the articles I've read about Mission: Space, the number I keep hearing is 3Gs, not 2.

The space shuttle astronauts experience 1.6Gs during liftoff, which increases to about 3Gs a little later when the solid rocket boosters (SRBs) separate and the main engines go to full power, accellerating the vehicle into orbit. The shuttle typically experiences about 4Gs during reentry.

Mercury astronauts experienced 6-7Gs on liftoff and 11-12Gs on re-entry.

Most people pass out at about 7Gs, although age, physical condition, and training combine to make each person's pass-out threshold a little different. Fighter pilots routinely experience over 9Gs during combat manuevers, but their training and the special g-suits they wear keep them from passing out.

Gravity is a beautiful and wonderous thing; I just can't help falling for it!

Old 05-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #10
LilMarcieMouse
Mrs. Jack Sparrow

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like

<font color="blue">It's like any ride you got to know your heath can take it. </font>

Old 05-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #11
tinknme
Community Rank: Sightseer

Post Thanks / Like

we just returned from our WDW trip. We tried MS for the first time. It will definitely be the last. We are both healthy but did not like the feeling we had - too much pressure on our chests. Our 14 yo GS said the thing.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #12
stonewall
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like

I know they put "barf bags" in the "pods", but are they easy to reach?!

Old 05-07-2004, 09:36 PM   #13
Taswira

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the "space sickness" bags ARE easy to reach. They hang from a place on the instrument panel, and I hate the fact that the bags touch my leg after the panel moves up before the "flight." I find it a bit distracting throughout the ride, but then I've never needed a bag.

I used to gripe about the bags being there, until I was at the entrance to a pod one day and there was a kid in what was to be "my seat" - still sitting there using a bag.

As for guests 80+ going on it - my mom is 81, used to be a flight instructor and took up sky diving (which she no longer does, of course) at 45. She would LOVE Mission: Space BUT she realizes that at her age her bones are fragile and although her heart is healthy, the stresses of that ride could cause serious problems. So she has enough sense to NOT ride it!

Old 05-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
GingerJ
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Navigator

Post Thanks / Like

We were there over spring break (yeah, I know, but it wasn't too bad) with my mom &amp; stepdad--at the time, he was one month shy of 70. I loved it, as did my 9-year-old, but I worried the first time about how stepdad was doing, because the pressure on your chest is very intense. All for naught, though, he rode it twice!
Just be forewarned, like everyone else says. Remember what that great philosopher Clint Eastwood says: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
Dave Marx
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like

One factor to consider is that older people tend to pay closer attention to the signals their bodies send them. A younger person feeling the identical effects might shrug them off as motion sickness and/or the normal effects of being in a centrifuge and think nothing more. As we enter the years when the likelihood of heart attack and stroke increase, we're on the lookout for the "warning signs," especially when we know that prompt medical attention can make the difference between life or death.

Were these guests put under undue physical stress by the ride, or were they just being understandably cautious when they felt the novel physical effects the ride creates? Probably a bit of both.