Free dining with annual pass question - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travelô
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 04-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
jpcommons

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
Free dining with annual pass question

If rumors are true, we may be going to WDW during time with free dining. We currently have active annual passes. I have read that in order to take advantage of free dining offer, we would most likely need to purchase tickets to get the deal. I have a few question about the tickets.

Letís say the minimum ticket purchase requirement is 4 days but our reservation is for 14 days. Would we need to purchase 14 days of tickets to qualify for free dining for the length of our stay or could we purchase the minimum 4 day tickets and still get free dining for the length of the stay?

Second, if we do purchase the minimum required tickets, can we hold on to those tickets for a later date and maybe apply them to our next annual pass purchase in a few years? How would I make sure that these new tickets arenít inadvertently added to our magic band and used at the same time we already have active annual passes?

If we can do the second question above, how does this work with the new expiring tickets if we donít redeem them before they expire? Do we get the value we paid applied to the upgraded passes - any bridging costs that used to happen before they added expiration or does the value of those passes become essentially $0 after the expiration date?

In the end, even if it is offered when we are going, I know we may not be able to get the offer before it is gone. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
You only have to buy the 4 day ticket if that is what they offer says.

What you say here...is correct....only the amount they were worth at purchase will be used toward your new tickets if they've expired.
Do we get the value we paid applied to the upgraded passes - any bridging costs that used to happen before they added expiration or does the value of those passes become essentially $0 after the expiration date?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Just use an AP discount on the room to save some money now and pay for your food. I just don't see how the meal plan is a very good way to go these days.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
jpcommons

Post Thanks / Like
Maybe my math is bad or I just don't understand. My AP discount for 2 weeks was between 600-700 total. But if they offer quick service at the values the cost of the plan per day is 179.22 (52.49 X 3 + 21.75). That is for 3 adults and 1 child by Disney standards. 1 adult is only 10. So, multiply that by the 14 days of the stay. 179.22 X 14 = 2509.08. That is almost the cost of the rack rate for the hotel. Would we spend 179.22 per day on food, no. But I could see us spending over $100/day. So, lets say my AP discount is $700. That would make the hotel room $1800. But then we are going to spend $1400 out of pocket for food. That makes the total $3200. But, with the free dining plan, we would only be spending 2509.08 total. I am sure something is wrong with my calculations. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I don't count the pass cost into the equation because I would just turn it in at a later date for an annual pass and get what I paid for it at that time. If we were going to be staying deluxe, the AP discount might be the better option.

ETA: Thanks for the feedback. I have always felt the AP would be better discount if I had the option. Now I am not so sure in this case.

Last edited by jpcommons; 04-19-2018 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
The thing is, you need to figure out if what the meal plan offers is what you would eat. Do you plan on one TS and one CS a day? Is a drink, entree and dessert what you'd want at a TS and an entree and drink want at the CS places? You'd have to add in the cost of tips and anything other than what is included as well.

The free dining might save you money, but are you getting what you want? If you didn't have 'restrictions' on a CS, TS, and two snacks a day, what would your family eat and how would you eat?

For example-
We don't eat a TS every day. It takes a lot of touring time to eat at a TS and we often find we aren't hungry enough for a big meal in the hot weather. We like to try various things around the World in Epcot, sharing CS meals to try new things. We drink water at meals, so the drink would be a waste most times. We might prefer a glass of beer in place of the soda/tea and that's not included, so it would be cost on top.

The meal plan doesn't work for us, but it could very well work for you.

Paying full price for a room to get a set of 'free' meals that's not ideally what we want just doesn't make as much sense to me as using an AP or other room discount and just eating the way we want. And especially so for you since you'll have to buy four four day base tickets which will be another $1300 or so on top of the actual cost that won't even get used since you already have APs.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Last edited by HiddenMickey; 04-19-2018 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcommons View Post
Maybe my math is bad or I just don't understand. My AP discount for 2 weeks was between 600-700 total. But if they offer quick service at the values the cost of the plan per day is 179.22 (52.49 X 3 + 21.75). That is for 3 adults and 1 child by Disney standards. 1 adult is only 10. So, multiply that by the 14 days of the stay. 179.22 X 14 = 2509.08. That is almost the cost of the rack rate for the hotel. Would we spend 179.22 per day on food, no. But I could see us spending over $100/day. So, lets say my AP discount is $700. That would make the hotel room $1800. But then we are going to spend $1400 out of pocket for food. That makes the total $3200. But, with the free dining plan, we would only be spending 2509.08 total. I am sure something is wrong with my calculations. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I don't count the pass cost into the equation because I would just turn it in at a later date for an annual pass and get what I paid for it at that time. If we were going to be staying deluxe, the AP discount might be the better option.

ETA: Thanks for the feedback. I have always felt the AP would be better discount if I had the option. Now I am not so sure in this case.
I'm very confused. In one sentence you say the dining plan is $2509 but then you say a few sentences later with the free dining plan you'll only spend 2509 total. And what about the 4 day passes you have to buy for everyone (assuming it is a 4 day ticket you have to buy). Where is that figured in? Even if you don't use the tickets this year they will still have to be paid for this year. What are your eating habits too? Do you typically only eat QS meals? If so, then the plan could work but if you eat TS meals, those will all have to be paid OOP or you'll have to pay the difference between the DDP and the QSDP to get the credits for them and that cost will have to be factored in too.

In past trips I've done the whole free versus paid, dining plan versus not and there are so many things you have to remember to add in. You may want to make yourself a spreadsheet and list absolutely everything for your comparisons so you're not forgetting anything.

My Countdown Counting down to: If we can make it work, we're going
76 days, 9 hours, 31 minutes
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music

Old 04-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
jpcommons

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAbby View Post
I'm very confused. In one sentence you say the dining plan is $2509 but then you say a few sentences later with the free dining plan you'll only spend 2509 total. And what about the 4 day passes you have to buy for everyone (assuming it is a 4 day ticket you have to buy). Where is that figured in? Even if you don't use the tickets this year they will still have to be paid for this year. What are your eating habits too? Do you typically only eat QS meals? If so, then the plan could work but if you eat TS meals, those will all have to be paid OOP or you'll have to pay the difference between the DDP and the QSDP to get the credits for them and that cost will have to be factored in too.

In past trips I've done the whole free versus paid, dining plan versus not and there are so many things you have to remember to add in. You may want to make yourself a spreadsheet and list absolutely everything for your comparisons so you're not forgetting anything.
The 2509 dining plan cost was almost exactly what my hotel reservation cost was for 14 days. the hotel was 2500 +/- 10 dollars (before discounts). So if I were to get the "free" quick service dinning plan, it would only cost $2509 total. Granted, we do lose the 6-700 dollar discount.

The price of the ticket is not included in my calculations, which I stated in my original post, because I will just save those tickets and use them when I upgrade to an annual pass in the future. So that is money I would have spent one way or another.

We are mainly quickservice folks and enjoy the mobile ordering app.

I still have to play around with numbers but we will easily spend $100 on quick service meals per day between all of us which would add 1400 onto our discounted room.

The one item I did not take into consideration is the parking fee. I have made our reservation ahead of the parking fee add on. I then modified my reservation to a bounceback offer. I was told by a castmember that bounceback offers can not be modified. So, maybe I would need to book a new reservation in order to qualify. This could add on close to an additional $200 in parking fees.

I am still not sold on the idea of free dining. Just trying to see if it is possible to save the tickets and if I missed anything.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
EastYorkDisneyFan
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Something to remember with free dining you are paying rack rate for a room which is always the most expensive rate a hotel can quote you. It's typically what you would get if you walked into a hotel or booked a day of reservation with them. Your only actual savings with free dining is not much at all.
My Previous TripsFirst Family Trip to WDW - March 1998 - Treehouse Villas at the Disney Institute First Solo Trip - February 2006 - Port Orleans French Quarter First Land and Sea Vacation - Aug. Sept. 2006 - Port Orleans French Quarter, Disney Wonder, and Port Orleans Riverside. 14 Night Transatlantic Cruise - Disney Magic August 18th to September 1st 2007 Caribbean beach resort - September 1st to September 5th 2007 First Trip to Disneyland - Disneyland Hotel - August 13 - August 17 2008 DCL Panama Eastbound Panama Canal cruise - August 17 - September 1st 2008 Second trip to Disneyland - Disneyland Hotel - April 30 2009 - May 5 2009 Walt Disney World - Pop Century - August 28 - September 5 2009 Disneyland - Desert Inn and suites - April 28 - May 4 2010 Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - April 27 - May 3 2011