Crowd Sizes in January - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 07-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
BMartin77
Community Rank: Tourist

Post Thanks / Like
Crowd Sizes in January

Hey Folks,

We're looking at a possible trip back to the World and are considering the first week in Jan. Can anyone comment on what crowds are like in the first week of Jan? My guess is either pretty dead or pretty crowded due to hold over from Christmas/New Years.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
It’s been several years since we were there then. Crowds were relatively light compared with midsummer or mid-fall.

The two drawbacks of that time of year are—

1) New CMs start work. You may get some pretty bad service and delays for trainees to ask for help.

2) It can be quite cold, as low as daytime highs in the low 40s with windchills in the 20s.

Yes, you wouldn’t think so in Florida, but it sure can. All but one day of our stay were that cold. We bought fleecy jackets and layered up.

Pack warm socks, hats and gloves just in case along with patience when interacting with obviously new CMs, and you’ll have a great time.

Welcome to the boards!

ETA: Be sure to check the WDW closures list. This is also prime time for attraction shutdowns for upkeep and repairs. It’s never fun to be counting on a favorite that’s closed all during your stay.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 07-02-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
minemoz1
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
Disney really isn't "dead" anymore. I'd say it's a more moderate crowd size. If you are going right after New Years, it will be more crowded. There is also a marathon at sometime that month. It gets a lot more crowded around that time. And the weather can be iffy like the above poster stated. You could have great Florida winter weather - mid 70s-80s or you could need winter jackets and gloves.

I'm living the dream 20 minutes from Disney! Next trip...tomorrow.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by minemoz1 View Post
Disney really isn't "dead" anymore. I'd say it's a more moderate crowd size. If you are going right after New Years, it will be more crowded. There is also a marathon at sometime that month. It gets a lot more crowded around that time. And the weather can be iffy like the above poster stated. You could have great Florida winter weather - mid 70s-80s or you could need winter jackets and gloves.
I was going to say that too. We went in January last year (not the first week) and we were shocked at how busy it was for a supposedly "quiet" time of the year. I wouldn't want anyone else to visit, thinking it will be "dead". I don't think Disney is dead at any time of the year now.

My Countdown Counting down to: Meeting friends to see the sights in Canterbury
3 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 07-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
oldmom

Post Thanks / Like
we went this year, the first week. During the races, things were packed and it was COLD. Mind you, we came from -6 degree weather, but we needed all our cold weather gear for about 4 days.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
BMartin77
Community Rank: Tourist

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the input, folks. We went in Feb of last year and the crowds/weather were great (especially compared to June/July which was our only previous experience) so it's looking more like Feb is the better time to go. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
There is no week in the year where the parks are "dead". but January is till among the least-crowded times of year there. All three trips I've taken as an adult have been in January, for that very reason.
As for being cold ... it's a gamble. For me, a New Englander, it has usually been plenty warm enough; only twice have I truly been cold.

Once, in 2001, wearing a short-sleeved, very thin shit. In a boat on the lagoon, with a stiff breeze. At 11:30pm.

And, more recently, our 2014 trip was during the whole "polar vortex" thing, so the days were on the cool-ish side (but still shorts-and-t-shirt temperatures for me). The nights got a bit chilly, and our last night there we bailed on the show in EPCOT due to bitter, bitter cold.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
DMA

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
January used to be the time of year for many South American tour groups, since that is their “summer” break, but with their economy the way it is, I’m not sure that is as much of a thing anymore.
We only saw a few tour groups when we were there in the middle of January last year.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
debrajean
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
My Dh and I have booked the 19th through 27th of January, 2019. We were planning for February because its hubby's b-day month but the points for DVC are less per room in Jan than in Feb. When the points are less, that's a good indication of a slower month. I know its MLK weekend but we don't plan on going to the parks till Tuesday. So far, I think I'm the only one in the group for Jan here on the forums! That's a good sign!
187 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1st All Star 1996, All Star 2002, Coronado 2004, Wilderness villas 2005, SSR 2006, SSR 2007, SSR 2008, AKL 2010, OKW 2011, AK Kidani 2012, AKL 2014, AKL 2016, Poly 2017, AK Kidani 2017, SSR 2018

Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
January is my favorite time to visit. The crowds ARE lighter if you don't go during race week. I've been several times in January and sometimes it's cold and sometimes it's not. Being from the NE, I don't feel the cold like the locals do. I thought it was just fine, if not comfortable.

My friend and i went one year when there was frost. Everyone stayed away so my friend was able to ride Soarin' three times in a row with almost no wait.

So, make your plans for January, and pray for cold weather!

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
minemoz1
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
Just checked and WDW marathon is schedule for Jan 9-13, 2019. I would avoid that weekend for sure.

I'm living the dream 20 minutes from Disney! Next trip...tomorrow.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #12
NurseLesley
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
I went this last January for my first January ever, during the end of the first week until all the way through the next weekend. I can honestly say it was the busiest time I have ever been!! I won't be doing it again LOL. I love going in February-I have done this lots and its perfect at this time
5/02 AKL*8/09 POR*10/10 ASMu*8/11 Pop*2/12 ASMu*8/12 POFQ*2/13 ASM*8/13 CB *4/14 AoA*8/14 AKL*8/15 CS*2/16 Disney Magic*8/16 Split stay! POR/BC*2/17 Disney Fantasy & OKW*8/17 Poly/AKL*1/18 ASMu*8/18 SS/?? split stay!
My PassPorter Bookshelf