Retirement celebration trip - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 09-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
oldmom
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Retirement celebration trip

I'm hoping to retire next year, just need to pay off a few more bills and hope no more drop in. Looking for ways to celebrate at WDW and not totally blow the budget. I've been to WDW 13 times now.

Planning on POFQ for at least 10 days, probably the end of Jan 2020. Arthritis is settling into my sciatic and right knee. At this time, I never know what or when it will decide to be an issue. I can be just fine walking along and suddenly the sciatic/hip will just grab me! I tend to worry about those moving bands next to ride cars, because sometimes walking can be an issue. or stepping down into/out of rides. Disney is pretty good about slowing a ride which helps alot. I look for good photos or videos to remind me about how much step down etc. or accommodations. Any one else fall into that middle ground where you aren't in an ECV or wheelchair necessarily, but you aren't a totally 'carefree' person when motivating around?

Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Her Dotness

Post Thanks / Like
I hear ya.

Have you done physical therapy? That helped me enormously when my right knee decided to start collapsing unexpectedly. The PT I worked with said that strengthening hip muscles as well as quads and hamstrings was essential for me. Who knew? I’d never have thought weakened glutes could affect the knee, but the exercises she gave me made a big difference.

I feel pretty much okay but plan to take my cane and knee brace (just an Ace-brand one I got at Walgreens) to WDW in case I need both. Am also building back up to 2-3 miles of walking daily.

So, yeah, I understand your feeling doubtful about how much you can still do without renting an ECV.

Guess we just need to plan as best we can and then rent a scooter while there if our plans aren’t working very well.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 09-05-2018 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
oldmom

Post Thanks / Like
my insurance doesn't pay for PT until the OOP is done. My employer insurance has a high deductible so for the last 3 years, no PT. Due to an ER visit in April, I met my deductible and an doing PT this year. hard to be happy for a big bill but PT is wonderful! (Rant warning: insurance doesn't like paying for PT but will gladly pay for painkillers. no wonder we have so many addicted to pills). life is better, i won't have PT next insurance year, but plan to continue the exercises. and yes, i'm planning to do the best i can for as long as possible then rent a ride. and plan to make sure i know what all the ride vehicles look like so i can be prepared for 'step ins, step downs, step overs, etc.

any ideas for celebration ideas?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Her Dotness

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, more than one of my “army” of doctors agree that insurors work against preventative medicine.

Unless a person is highly motivated to research what can be done on your own, you’ll get nothing from insurance oftentimes until your condition requires medication—or mobility aids.

That’s really horrible that your insurance won’t pay for PT as a starter when it may be all a person requires to keep going for years without more intensive care.

It gets right back to “not big on prevention,” I suspect.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Her Dotness

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmom View Post
any ideas for celebration ideas?
For something fairly inexpensive, getting a PhotoPass card (if you don’t buy Memory Maker) so that you can choose a bunch of photos to put onto the collage mousepad PhotoPass sells.

Mine cost about $35 a few years ago, but I’d have paid $50 as much as I enjoy seeing those several memories of that trip in one place. I thought the collage with 9 photos was a terrific all-in-one memory. You can also get a single photo on one instead.

More expensive, a massage, mani-pedi or other spa experience.

One of the tours or a fancy meal you otherwise wouldn’t do, perhaps?