The "And Now For Something Completely Different" Trip… - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 08-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
JerseyDad
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
The "And Now For Something Completely Different" Trip…

…..well …..we’re all set for another trip to WDW that will kick off on Sept 7th (“all set” of course until my wife decides to change something again). This trip, however, it’s been decided (by my wife) to change things up a little bit ….or …..actually, more than just a little bit, because, as you know, variety is the spice of life, or so they say ( …whomever “they” may be).

A little ‘back-story’ first. We went to WDW last summer on a trip that was supposed to be one that included ME + WIFE. Well, mention of that trip was brought up at the 2016 Thanksgiving dinner table, and, before we even got to the pumpkin pie, we had an ENTOURAGE going with us. All in all, it was a great time. My son (31 yrs old), who never thought he’d like Disney, had a great time ….as did his long-time girlfriend (very likely the future daughter-in-law). My youngest brother and his son came along ….as did my two daughters, and my oldest daughter’s best friend. (btw …last year, my youngest daughter was finally “of age” …and had partaken in a session of drinking around the world with everyone except yours truly. Though she gave it the old college try …she nodded off on a bench near Italy) Anyway, since there were a few “first timers”, my wife, the seasoned Disney planner, made sure we all had a good cross section of scheduled attractions, fast-passes, and dining reservations.

The seed for this year’s trip was planted as soon as we arrived last year and entered our room at POP. We immediately found a bounce-back offer on the table, and my wife said, “We are doing this”. ( and, I truly believed that the emphasis of her impassioned statement was on the “WE ARE” part …..ha-ha ….silly me).

Anyway, she booked the trip, gave required deposit, and here we sit, only 12 days away from our next Disney adventure. Oh, but wait, I did say that this one is “completely different” ……so …to start with, instead of driving (as we ….err …I did the previous 12 times) ….we’ll now be flying to Orlando this time. The wife booked a flight for the both of us, and did some kind of “price guarantee” thing that locks in the lowest fare should it fluctuate downward. So, as it stands, we have a round trip flight for us that only cost $319. She emphasized the savings to me the other day, because seats on that flight, are now in the $1000 range. I will however miss the “adventure” of driving …and the opportunity to explore each and every restroom at rest stops along I-95. It is a downer that I will not be able to pack my supply of “adult beverages” as was the case when I drove. But, I’ll find a way to stock up when I get to Florida. (anyone know if there is a liquor store in the airport?....or if there are any ‘delivery services’ that will do that?)

We’ll be at WDW from Sept 7th to the 16th …and the wife has made a whole bunch of plans, dinning reservations, and fast-pass “appointments” ……for us …..AND MY OLDEST DAUGHTER (who just can’t stand the thought of us going to WDW without her) ….and my son’s girlfriend and her younger sister …..AND ….my daughter’s high school friend who now lives & works in Orlando ….AND …..her friend’s brother, who is a ‘hospitality manager” (a.k.a hotel boss guy) at the Polynesian resort.

….so much for ‘alone time’ on this trip!!

…..regardless …I intend to have a good time, and given the “arrangements” the wife made, I think it’ll all work out. Here’s what she set up for us:

We get to POP at about 2pm on Friday the 7th (7:30am flight out of Newark NJ, a stop in Detroit …then arrive in Orlando at about 1pm) ….here’s a brief outline of the planned activities………….

Friday Sept 7th..…Arrival – dump bags at resort and head to Epcot …mandatory 1st stop is Spaceship Earth (a WDW trip tradition of ours ….and for the record, I still preferred the Jeremy Irons narration!!) …..then dinner at Chefs de France at 6:00pm (with daughter and her friend) …..and Soarin’ at 8:30

Saturday …morning at Animal Kingdom …...Kilimanjaro Safari at 11:00 ….lunch at Yak & Yeti at 1pm (a first for us) …..back to the room later in the afternoon for a rest & maybe a visit to the pool …..then to Epcot with dinner at 7:00pm at San Angel Inn with daughter, daughter’s friend, son’s girlfriend and her sister. Margaritas and tequila flights will be flowing………

Sunday ….morning at Hollywood Studios ….Toy Story Mania bright and early at 9:30 …….head over to Rock n Roller Coaster around noon …..then back to the resort to recover a bit …...then, to Epcot for dinner at Via Napoli …with …”the entourage”.

Monday ……morning at Animal Kingdom ……then Avatar Flight of Passage (loved it last year!) …. later in the day we head to Downtown Disney ….okay ……I know ….Disney Springs. We have dinner at Raglan Road at 7pm with our daughter ….because it’s her last night at WDW before heading home Tuesday morning (she’s only there for 4 days) ….and then some dessert (Ghirardelli Ice Cream!!) …and more mandatory shopping.

Tuesday ……we’re going to Magic Kingdom EARLY …..and then we have QS lunch reservations at Be Our Guest. We’ll spend some more time there before heading back to rest up a bit before dinner at Coral Reef in Epcot (1st time there for us) ….and then over to Test Track ( just me and the wife ….how romantic ….at 50 mph!!)

Wednesday ……is sort of a “wing it” type day. We’re going to go to Disney Springs early to have breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express, and then see what’s new since last year (there was a lot under construction while there last August). Then we’ll be at the Magic Kingdom for dinner at The Crystal Palace at 6:30. We’ve never dined there, and I’m kinda’ excited that it’s a character dinner …..with Winnie The Pooh as one of the featured “celebrities”. This 57 yr. old’s childish excitement is because (as of this moment…but the wife may change that) we don’t have reservations for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare (which is something we always did ….every trip ….and allowed me to get my required photo with Pooh). It’s also the first time we’ve done a dinner buffet, so I’m looking forward to it. We also have the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train on our agenda for later that evening.

Thursday ……is another stop at Hollywood Studios, and we’ll get to see the new construction progress, as well as riding the Slinky Dog Dash ……followed by a spin on the Rock n Roller Coaster. It’s still in up the air if my wife will go on the Tower Of Terror with me ……(maybe if I buy her a bottle of perfume in “Italy” in Epcot?) ….yes…. bribery, …the key to any happy marriage! Anyway ….we have dinner reservations at 7pm at Bongos Cuban Café at Disney Springs. It’s a first time eating experience there for me …but the wife went there on a “girls trip” to Orlando 2 yrs. ago with her high school friends.

Friday ……early morning is another scheduled trip to Animal Kingdom, with fast-passes again to the Avatar Flight of Passage. But, the wife indicated that if she can wiggle things around (which she has a knack of doing), she may schedule something else for us there. We’re going to be back to Epcot later that day and into the evening since we have dinner reservations at Le Cellier.

Saturday Sept 15th ……we’re planning to spend a good portion of the day at the Magic Kingdom, with rides on Big Thunder Mtn and Space Mtn. Of course, we’ll get in as much of the other staples too, before winding up at Epcot later on with dinner at Teppan Edo (another ‘last night’ tradition we’ve done since our 1st rip to WDW).

Sunday ……..we’ll have time to catch some breakfast before we’re off to the airport for a NON-STOP (hooray!!) flight home.

….well, that’s a brief …or ….not so brief overview of the upcoming trip. It is actually just a quick snapshot of the trip, because a lot of the lunch stops are not included. This trip, we’re lucky to have the Food & Wine Festival in full swing …and we’re planning on making the most of it. Since we have a meal plan (1 QS + 1 TS per day which was part of the ‘bounce-back’ offer) …we’ll be using some of those snack credits at the food kiosks. My daughter has already made a list of “must eat” items that will be offered this year.

…….so the we’re now in the “countdown mode” of the final 12 days until the trip.

My Countdown Counting down to: ......September 2020 Trip In the Planning Stages (already) ...family invites sent
My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP//Aug 2017-POP// Sept 2018-POP

Last edited by JerseyDad; 08-27-2018 at 06:21 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Wow, it does sound like a very different type of trip, but magical all the same. Have a great time!

Relaxing in Montreux on our weekend break in Switzerland. The pre-trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic is now underway.
My Countdown Counting down to: Starting our second cruise on the Magic
Heading to Quebec City
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 08-27-2018, 05:32 AM   #3
patclairesmom
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like a fun trip!

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Anniversary at Disney
26 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPOFQ-2004, POR/Poly-Nov 2007, POR 2008, POR 2012, Radisson Celebration 2012, AK-Kidani and Jambo 2013

Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
notjustamom
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
The more the merrier!?!?!!! Have a great trip, the kids and I arrive the same day and I’m not sure who is not excited - them or ME!
My Previous TripsWDW 1982, WDW GF Sept. 1998 honeymoon, WL April 06, WL Nov. 08, BWV March 10, BCV Oct. 11, GF Nov. 13, BWI Jan. '15

Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
lovewdw2

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like a magical trip- Enjoy!

(Psst...check out the perfume in France- Christian Dior in case the perfume in Italy doesn't work!)
236 days, 0 hours, 12 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
JoeEpcotRocks
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like it will be a great trip!

Crystal Palace is our favorite character place.
(Don't let it be changed.)

Old 08-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
MayraLR
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like an awesome trip! But then again, any trip to Disney is an awesome trip.

My 2017 trip - Home is Where the Mouse Is COMPLETE
My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing through the Caribbean on the Freedom
Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 2006 - WDW / offsite; May 2008 - WDW, SW, US, IOA / offsite; May 2011 - WDW / off-site; June 2012 - WDW / POR; June 2014 - WDW / AKL ~ Kidani Village; June 2017 - WDW / POR

Old 08-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
jennie622
irresistible basketcase

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
You kids leave the day I arrive! Lol

I used to live in Jersey and did the driving thing. Flying is soooo much easier. Check into delivery services for your adult beverages. It’ll be there waiting for you Yay!!!

Just a suggestion on the perfume: DO NOT go into the store in France if you’ve been “enjoying “ the F&WF for awhile. I have a lovely bottle of parfum I affectionately call Regret ($300) sitting on my dresser. Jeez!

Great plans !!!
My Previous Trips1st trip WDW Nov 1980 CR, Dec 1982 Hilton, Aug 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001-2003 Poly, AKL, BW, CBR, YC (FL resident passholder) Oct 2003 CBR, Feb 2006 ASMU, Feb 2007 ASMV, May 2007 CBR&Poly, Oct 2007 ASMU, Feb 2008 ASMV, Sept 2008 POr, June 2009 POFQ, Feb 2011 OKW, Oct 2011 Dolphin, Dec 2011 ASMU, Oct 2012 SSR, Sept 2013 SSR, way too many to count!

Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
JerseyDad

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEpcotRocks View Post
Sounds like it will be a great trip!

Crystal Palace is our favorite character place.
(Don't let it be changed.)
.....great to know ...I'll make sure that this one is "set in stone"

.....and ...as a side note ...the wife has added a 1900 Park Fare meal into our dining agenda (INCREDIBLE BLOODY MARYS!!! YEAH BABY!!!)

My Countdown Counting down to: ......September 2020 Trip In the Planning Stages (already) ...family invites sent
My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP//Aug 2017-POP// Sept 2018-POP

Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
JerseyDad

Post Thanks / Like
.....well .....I leave for WDW in about 8 hours.....and I should have expected the proverbial "pebble in the shoe" ......"monkey wrench in the works" ....etc

.....after going to the emergency room in quite a bit of pain on Wednesday night at about 11pm ....my daughter was told at about 4am today she needed to have her gall bladder removed!! Therefore, she'll miss out on the trip.....and lose all that money she spent.........

.....I feel SO bad for her

Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
lovewdw2

Post Thanks / Like
I hope your Daughter feels better!

Happy Traveling today! Enjoy!
236 days, 0 hours, 12 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 09-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
JerseyDad

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewdw2 View Post
I hope your Daughter feels better!

Happy Traveling today! Enjoy!
....thank you. She's home now (a friend brought her from the hospital), and is recovering on the couch ....close to the kitchen, soup, bottled water, and the fridge. We're getting her a bunch of souvenirs .... particularly Halloween themed ....and her Disney mug which she was going to get because she had a meal plan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
patclairesmom

Post Thanks / Like
Oh No. Hope she's feeling better!

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Anniversary at Disney
26 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPOFQ-2004, POR/Poly-Nov 2007, POR 2008, POR 2012, Radisson Celebration 2012, AK-Kidani and Jambo 2013

Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #14
JerseyDad

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
Oh No. Hope she's feeling better!
....thank you.

She's sore ...as one can imagine. But at least the surgery was done using the minimally invasive procedure ...so she'll heal quicker.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk