And a Cherry on Top: Not-So-Budget WDW Trip - Page 4 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #46
NanaTink

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
It is sometimes hard when two join together as there are differences in how things are accepted. good for you to try to overcome this and enjoy the gift your BIL bestowed. I've never stayed in the Garden Wing, but it can't be noisier than CR itself, or at least as it was several years ago! Being awakened every morning by "Celebrate, Celebrate" from Chef Mickey's...

]

Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #47
KimmyAnn1147
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Congrats on the CR! We stayed there many years ago with our kids and loved it. We had a Garden View Wing room, too. It was great. Large room, terrific linens, and the bathroom was so large we stored our luggage in it. The sinks are a little weird, but we dealt with it. They are removed from the noise, which I appreciated, and as for the view.... are you really going to be in the room during the day or are you going to be in the parks?
Good point. Spoiler alert-I had no problems with the room location or noise at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam22 View Post
I'm always amazed at how family culture/dynamics can impact relationships. So thoughtful of you to consider how your BIL feels!
It's amazing, isn't it? Blending 2 families with fairly different values and backgrounds (not to mention conflict styles) is quite an undertaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Very interesting about your BIL and the goings on of his family and son. Hope things work out for them.
I have no idea if their son will ever be able to live with them, because of his own issues, but I think things are getting easier for the two of them going forward. Thank heavens. Although they come from very different backgrounds, they share a faith, and I think that has been their saving grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaTink View Post
It is sometimes hard when two join together as there are differences in how things are accepted. good for you to try to overcome this and enjoy the gift your BIL bestowed. I've never stayed in the Garden Wing, but it can't be noisier than CR itself, or at least as it was several years ago! Being awakened every morning by "Celebrate, Celebrate" from Chef Mickey's...
It was a hard job, but someone has to do it! No, I was blown away by the generosity, and needed to let it be just that.

and then....
My Countdown Counting down to: Challengers Meet at WDW
106 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes
My Previous TripsDisneyland 1985 (age 8); Disneyland 1991 (age 13); Disneyland 1998 x 3; WDW 1999; Disneyland Paris 2007; Disneyland 2013; WDW 2014; Disneyland 2015; DL Hong Kong 2016; DL Shanghai 2016 (!), Disneyland 2016

Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #48
KimmyAnn1147

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamcarey View Post
That was some really interesting insight into your family's culture and your BIL's! Good for you for realizing the underlying intent on everyone's "side" and for trying to make this a great trip for BIL!
Yup, thank you! He's from a family that quietly and thoughtfully seeks input from all members, where as my family, the loudest one wins. Adjustments are absolutely necessary!

and then....
My Previous TripsDisneyland 1985 (age 8); Disneyland 1991 (age 13); Disneyland 1998 x 3; WDW 1999; Disneyland Paris 2007; Disneyland 2013; WDW 2014; Disneyland 2015; DL Hong Kong 2016; DL Shanghai 2016 (!), Disneyland 2016

Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #49
KimmyAnn1147

Post Thanks / Like
A very quick update, because WE NEED TO GET TO ORLANDO, FOLKS!

After the great news about the hotel switch, I had absolutely no problem with the rest of the drive. DH and I switched off hourly. We stopped once for breakfast at Waffle House, because when in Rome!

I had found an insanely great price on a car rental-$60 for 4 days-from greenmotion out of orlando. This was much much much cheaper than keeping the Enterprise car we drove down with. They don't come up on US rental car searches, but they do come up on Europe-based rentalcars.com. The catch-you have to have your own car insurance.

So, we get there, and I have insurance, and they say "do you have proof that you have full comprehensive insurance?" Ummm, nooooo....I think we just have liability...oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

So, time is wasting, I'm searching other rental agencies near MCO, Everything is at least $180, and I think-shoot, I'm just going to upgrade to full comprehensive. I call USAA, and they are able to do it over the phone quickly, it was $111 dollars extra (and we were renting from greenmotion a second time later in the trip, so def worth it) and they verified with the greenmotion agent by phone. USAA, if you are eligible, I highly recommend them!

A little later than we hoped, we were in our Nissan Versa, dropped the nicer car off at Enterprise in MCO, hit the Aldi for some frozen dinner foods, and headed to the Parc Soleil by Hilton Grand Vacations.

All the stress was annoying. I was texting with sis, who is yelling WHEN ARE YOU GETTING HERE? WE CAN SEE THE FIREWORKS FROM ALL 3 PARKS FROM OUR BALCONY...etc etc, but we finally arrived! (about 7pm)

The above is taken from the Hilton website, but that pool slide is really fast and long! There are also big water jets that come out from those clam shell features on the walls. Overall, this is a really excellent pool.

We had a nice frozen dinner buffet using the oven and microwave in the family suite, DS and BIL played some legos (BIL bought him some minifigs as a present, yay for new Legos!) and then we headed out to the room balcony for a view of DHS, Epcot, and MK fireworks. We were quite a few miles away, but it was still a great show. I would have been happy to stay here the whole week, but I was about to be even happier, with my very first on property stay!

The next morning, DSis and DBIL were planning to head to Epcot. I would pack the rental car and ferry all of our stuff over to Contemporary Bell Services (!!!!), and then come back for DS and DH, who would stay to enjoy the amenities till the last minute. After that DH would be on his way out to camp, and DS and I would wait for our room to be ready.

Does it go according to plan? Would I be happy with the room? Would there be problems checking in when I'm not the main person on the account? Would something magical happen? Stay tuned!

and then....

Old 09-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #50
SuperDave
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
Hoping all goes well during the trip and won't be too stressful! Glad you were able to upgrade the car insurance quite easily!

October 6, 2017-Enjoying an amazing dinner at Victoria & Albert's with PP's Dot and Drew

My TR from my most recent trip is now underway. Includes: Universal Studios Florida, Disney World and Sea World
Orlando Trifecta TR
-Updated September 22nd!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1995-2000, 2006-Various in Europe: Italy, Switzerland, France, England, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Lichtenstein, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Morocco; 1998-U.S. National Parks (California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada) 1999-Las Vegas, 2001-Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii, 2005-Memphis, 2011-Austin, TX: ACL Festival and Orlando: Bay Hill Lodge; 2013-Paris and Eastern France's Wine Country, 2015-Memphis for 7 WDW: 2002-WL, 2003-CSR, 2004-AKL, 2005-BWI, 2007-POR, BC, 2008-Offsite Championsgate Omni & CBR, 2009-Poly, POR (Decade of Dreams), 2010-POFQ, GF, 2011-POFQ, 2012-CSR,WL, 2014-POR, 2015-DCL Magic in Western Caribbean, 2016-B Resort in DS, 2017-USF: Royal Pacific /WDW: Dolphin

Old 09-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #51
suzanne1972
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
The pool looks and sounds great! How fantastic being able to see the fireworks too

Disneyland Paris approx 2004, Caribbean Beach April 2013, Polynesian May 2014, Old Key West October 2015, Wilderness Lodge Oct 2017, planning AKL Sept/Oct 2019 trip!
My Countdown Counting down to: 4 nights Universal then 14 nights at Wilderness Lodge (hopefully!!).
Off we go!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Caribbean Beach Resort April 2013, Polynesian Resort 2014 OKW Oct 2015, Wilderness Lodge Oct 2017

Old 09-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #52
NanaTink

Post Thanks / Like
how cool to be able to see all three fireworks! That's some view! USAA!!

Your teaser has me on the edge of my seat!

]

Old 09-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #53
patclairesmom
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Oh wow, that pool does look awesome and the view of fireworks from 3 parks, you really had it made!

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Anniversary at Disney
26 days, 18 hours, 26 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPOFQ-2004, POR/Poly-Nov 2007, POR 2008, POR 2012, Radisson Celebration 2012, AK-Kidani and Jambo 2013

Old 09-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #54
Cam22
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Glad you were finally able to get the rental car! That pool looks incredible. I'll definitely stay tuned for more details.
My Previous TripsAKL Jambo April/May 2017--SSR/OKW Sept/Oct 2016 --AKL Kidani May 2016 -- Polynesian Village Resort May 2015 -- OKW/Magic December 2014 -- AKL Jambo House October 2014 -- VWL May 2014--SSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #55
KimmyAnn1147

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry I don't have a photo of the room, I'm not good at taking pictures, but it was a nicely laid out 1 BR suite with a full kitchen. The bathrooms were nice, and it even had this thrilling bathtub gimmick where the water comes out of a spout in the ceiling. Weird, but fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam22 View Post
Glad you were finally able to get the rental car! That pool looks incredible. I'll definitely stay tuned for more details.
The pool was really excellent, both for size and the quality of the slide and the nice jets. There was a second zero-entry (or whatever that is called) smaller pool and a hot tub as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
Oh wow, that pool does look awesome and the view of fireworks from 3 parks, you really had it made!
Definitely very comfortable. My sis liked the room, and BIL liked the pool, and there was a game room and activities I think too...but they didn't like the distance to the park. It was a $20 uber ride each way, or $10 for round-trip shuttle service per person, and with construction the ride was taking a LONG time. My home resort is on the Orlando Lynx bus service route to Disney. I get how important wheels are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaTink View Post
how cool to be able to see all three fireworks! That's some view! USAA!!

Your teaser has me on the edge of my seat!
Well, stay tuned! It really was a neat view, and the balcony was AMPLE. Two beach recliners, plus a table and 2 dining room chairs were out there, with lots of extra space to move around. Very ample!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne1972 View Post
The pool looks and sounds great! How fantastic being able to see the fireworks too
Yup! It was a great situation. My sis got 4 nights free for attending a timeshare presentation one day. They are all about the perks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Hoping all goes well during the trip and won't be too stressful! Glad you were able to upgrade the car insurance quite easily!
Thanks! Me too! I had a moment where I just didn't know what to do, but then I remembered USAA is amazing. The rental agent said that they've never seen a company turn it around that fast, but since it was USAA "I figured you had a chance".

and then....

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #56
pamcarey
Community Rank: Navigator

Post Thanks / Like
That was a little stressful with the rental car, but amazing that you were able to add full comprehensive so quickly! Sounds like an amazing view from the timeshare!

June 2016
My Countdown Counting down to: Returning to WDW!
Watching DD's marching band in the Magic Kingdom!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMarch 1989 - offsite; April/May 2002 - Coronado Springs; March 2003 - All Star Movies; May 2003 - offsite; July 2003 - Port Orleans Riverside; April/May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside; September 2007 - All Star Sports; August/September 2008 - All Star Movies and Pop Century; June 2009 - Pop Century; August 2010 - All Star Sports & Disney Wonder; June 2011 - All Star Music; April 2012 - Disney Fantasy; April 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2015 - Disneyland offsite; April 2017 - Coronado Springs; December 2017 - Old Key West