Why not my house too? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Family Room: Family and Friends
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Huntermom
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Why not my house too?

This week there was a friendly visitor in my area. Going up to windows and looking in. He/she was just across the brook from my house (large, spring fed brook ) But never took the trip across.

What was it? A big, beautiful moose. Truly one of my favorite animals and one I would love to see peering in my front window.

Charlie

Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
purplegal
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
We ran into a moose on a trail in Cape Breton a few years ago. My husband got far to close for my comfort, luckily the moose ignored him. They are truly large magnificent animals.

Julia
My Countdown Counting down to:
Tigger I am here!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1972, WDW 1987, WDW 1996, WDW 2005, Coronado Springs 2008, POFQ Jan 09, POFQ Aug 09, Apr 2011, Aug 2012, May 2013

Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
I am not quite sure if I would want a moose peeking in my windows!

However I did have a few deer and had one buck visit my backyard not too long ago. That was cool!
357 days, 7 hours, 25 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Oh wow - that's quite something, although I'd be truly freaked out if it was staring into my windows!

My Countdown Counting down to: Visiting my parents
Spending time with family
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Moose have the most beautiful eyes. But they scare me a little bit because they are so huge. We have a bear problem right now. They just don't seem to have any fear of people at all.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Haimia
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Oh please, be careful around moose. When we were on an Alaskan vacation, we were told moose are VERY dangerous!! Almost worse than bears, because they can attack without provocation!

2017 Scrapbooking Goal - 130 - actual - 0
2016 Scrapbooking Goal - 125 - actual 29
2015 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 75
2014 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 74
My Previous Trips11/09 Pop Century, 5/09 Pop Century, 12/08 Pop Century, and a few more prior in last 10-12 years

Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
luvnwdwgal
Community Rank: Legend

Post Thanks / Like
Omg, I would love to see a moose! Been to Alaska and Maine and never saw a single one. I know that they can be very dangerous, but I am so intrigued by them. I feel the same way about humpback whales.
My Previous Trips1981 Honeymoon-Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in a tent , 1984-Off Property , 1987-Off Property , 1993-Off Property , 1998-CBR , 2002-Poly Concierge , 2005-POFQ , 2006-CR Tower/Yacht Club , 2007-Poly, 2008-POFQ, 2009-Coronado Springs, 2011-CR Tower MK View, 2012-Pop Century, 2013-Pop Century, 2015-Coronado Springs, 2016-Pop Century

Last edited by luvnwdwgal; 05-10-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Haimia
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
We saw several during our trip in late May 2014. Some near the Talkeetna area and a few with babies in the National Park during our 8-hour bus tour!

2017 Scrapbooking Goal - 130 - actual - 0
2016 Scrapbooking Goal - 125 - actual 29
2015 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 75
2014 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 74
My Previous Trips11/09 Pop Century, 5/09 Pop Century, 12/08 Pop Century, and a few more prior in last 10-12 years

Old 05-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
jenifermg0
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Just yesterday driving home from the gym I saw Mamma Moose and her yearling. The yearling was crossing the road a few cars behind me as I sat in traffic waiting for the light to change. Then Mamma came out of nowhere and crossed right behind my car. She was looking a little agitated. I think all the cars and the fact that her "little" one had wandered had her a little wound up. Now, mind you, this was IN town. We have them all the time so you would think that I would be kind of "whatever" about them, but I still love seeing them and think they are wonderful to watch.

And as Haimia said...moose can be VERY dangerous. But if you are admiring them from the comfort of your living room and they are peering into your space, you are probably safe. Unless they get a wild hair and decide they want to be IN your living room, they will most likely wander off to greener pastures. Mostly if you watch them closely and back away slowly and don't make any sudden moves or get between Mamma and her offspring, you should be good.

OMG - He's sooooo grown up!!!! And an EAGLE SCOUT!!
I can still remember my cute little Tiger Cub!

2016 Reading Goal - 75 books
My Countdown Counting down to: Opticon - meaning I get to stay at the Contempo!
My Previous TripsDisneyLand - Nov-Dec 2002 / Caribbean Beach @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2004 / Coronado @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2007 / Wedding in Maui - March 2009 / Animal Kingdom Lodge @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2009

Old 05-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
NanaTink

Post Thanks / Like
How cool! Not sure I would want to be peeped by a moose...

]

Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
Huntermom

Post Thanks / Like
We are in the range for moose and this time of year it's not unusual to have one walk down the road, although I have never had one come up to the house.

Over the years, I have seen quite a number of moose, mostly from my car. They are one of my favorite animals and I respect that they are wild.

We also have a couple of bear families in the neighborhood and they are treated with the same respect. No approaching, not feeding and we can live happily together.

Joanne, I hope your bears aren't becoming too used to people. I go to court in Jaffrey a fair amount so I will have to look out for them on my drive. There was a photo of a young bear in a tree on the west side of Manchester the other day.

And Jennifer, I have never thought to get between any animal and their babies-wild or domesticated. I am also not sure I would want a moose in traffic. I've never seen one in the city, only back roads.

Charlie

Old 05-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #12
jenifermg0
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntermom View Post
And Jennifer, I have never thought to get between any animal and their babies-wild or domesticated. I am also not sure I would want a moose in traffic. I've never seen one in the city, only back roads.
We have them in town ALL the time. I literally check my yard and driveway before walking out most of the time. For such big animals they can move so darn quiet!!!!!!!!

Here's another moose story for you all: A few years ago, my son is getting ready for school and he comes out of his bedroom and says, "Hey, Mom, there's a moose outside my window." Okay, no big deal. We get moose in the driveway pretty often. He say, "No, Mom, come see." I go in his room and sure enough there is a moose outside his window. We literally could have opened the window and touched the moose!! (Don't worry, we didn't) The silly thing was IN my garden eating my iris plants!!! It was a young one - less than a year old and Mamma was hanging out at the pussy willow tree just out of sight of the window. Needless to say, we were late to work and school that day.

Another time I had a small black bear look in the window at my office. It hung around the office for several days so we had to be careful going out to our cars for about a week.

OMG - He's sooooo grown up!!!! And an EAGLE SCOUT!!
I can still remember my cute little Tiger Cub!

2016 Reading Goal - 75 books
My Countdown Counting down to: Opticon - meaning I get to stay at the Contempo!
My Previous TripsDisneyLand - Nov-Dec 2002 / Caribbean Beach @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2004 / Coronado @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2007 / Wedding in Maui - March 2009 / Animal Kingdom Lodge @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2009

Old 05-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
Large, yes. Magnificent, surely.

Also, DANGEROUS. I'd prefer to see one "across the street", rather than actually looking in a window. They can be extremely temperamental animals at times.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
CRCrazy
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Post Thanks / Like
I live in Northern NH, and moose, deer, bear and assorted other forest creatures are a common sight.

Driving to work last Wednesday, I saw a huge cow and a yearling grazing in a clearing next to the road to work. Last week, I also saw 8 whitetail deer, and a fox in my travels. No bear last week, but I have seen the evidence that they are out and about in my yard.

We have had moose in our yard several times through the years. They like to go out to the lake that is behind our property. They are beautiful, and fairly placid creatures, but you definitely want to take care. Most moose in NH are loaded with ticks, and often have brain parasites as well - that is what you see most often when they are charging. They may be hallucinating.

I hit a deer last winter, or rather, I should say, the deer hit my car. It was bounding down the side of a mountain just pass Franconia Notch, and landed on my hood. No damage to the bumper, as I didn't hit it, but there was $3500 damage to my car and engine. Luckily I wasn't hurt.

A friend of mine wasn't so lucky. He hit a moose one night near my house, and has been a quadriplegic since. Moose are so tall that their body bypasses the car body, and crashes through the windshield. Really dangerous! There were four motor vehicle accidents involving moose last week in Twin Mountain, next to my town.

My 3 beautiful daughters - Amanda (25), Sarah (17), Jennie (24)
My Countdown Counting down to: 30th Anniversary trip
Celebrating 30 years of wedded bliss.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW-First trip for our honeymoon to the CR Feb 1986 - then too many to count, but never enough!