Split stay baggage question - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
cynholjot
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Question Split stay baggage question

Hello, My DSon and I are doing a split stay - AK to Contemporary in December. I thought I remember from years ago when I did a split stay, that I could have my bags transferred to the new hotel. Is this still true, or should I plan on taking my bags to the Contemporary that morning. I am wondering because that will make a difference on where I try to get our Breakfast ADR that day. Thank you
189 days, 9 hours, 24 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW every Easter 1977 - 1980, WDW 1989 DTD Hilton, WDW 1997 Poly, WDW 1999 Beach Resort, Land (poly)/Sea 2007, December 2012 WL

Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
DMA
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
Bell services will handle the transfer. We've not done this yet, September will be our first split stay, but that's what I've been told.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
notjustamom
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Bell services will transfer the bags and give you an estimated time they'll be available at the resort. Just let them know when you call they're being transferred so behold have the tags for them. Easy peasy
My Previous TripsWDW 1982, WDW GF Sept. 1998 honeymoon, WL April 06, WL Nov. 08, BWV March 10, BCV Oct. 11, GF Nov. 13, BWI Jan. '15

Old 05-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
We've done this a few times now and all I would say is prepared for your luggage not to be delivered until late. Each time we've been assured it would get to its destination by 4:00pm and it's never happened - it's been closer to 5:00pm or 6:00pm. It's fine if you know to expect it, but if you have evening plans, it can be a real pain....

My Countdown Counting down to: Visiting my parents
Spending time with family
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 05-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
jenifermg0
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
We've done that twice - no problems!
Took bags to bell services.
They tag them for the new resort.
You go off to play.
When you get back to new resort, you call Bell Services at new resort and they deliver bags to your room.
Easy Peasy!!

I usually tip at both ends for the bags.

OMG - He's sooooo grown up!!!! And an EAGLE SCOUT!!
I can still remember my cute little Tiger Cub!

2016 Reading Goal - 75 books
My Countdown Counting down to: Opticon - meaning I get to stay at the Contempo!
My Previous TripsDisneyLand - Nov-Dec 2002 / Caribbean Beach @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2004 / Coronado @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2007 / Wedding in Maui - March 2009 / Animal Kingdom Lodge @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2009

Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Angela531
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
We've done this a few times now and all I would say is prepared for your luggage not to be delivered until late. Each time we've been assured it would get to its destination by 4:00pm and it's never happened - it's been closer to 5:00pm or 6:00pm. It's fine if you know to expect it, but if you have evening plans, it can be a real pain....
This was our experience as well. We transferred from Port Orleans to Grand Floridian and our bags arrived about an hour later than quoted. It was not a problem for us but I see how it could be if not you were not expecting the delay.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAKL-SV June 2017, GF July 2016, POR/GF Split Stay December 2015, CBR March 2012

Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
allgiggles
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifermg0 View Post
We've done that twice - no problems!
Took bags to bell services.
They tag them for the new resort.
You go off to play.
When you get back to new resort, you call Bell Services at new resort and they deliver bags to your room.
Easy Peasy!!

I usually tip at both ends for the bags.
What information do you have to give them when you drop your luggage off at bell services to transfer them to the new resort? Do you just tell them your reservation number or do they scan your magic band to get the info?
My Previous TripsWDW - Lake Buena Vista Village March 1979; WDW offsite April 1979; WDW offsite April 1981; ASMo June 2001; PC June 2004; PC May 2009; PC June 2011; AoA Lion King June 2013; AoA Lion King June 2015; AoA Nemo June 2016; AoA LK June 2018

Old 05-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
jenifermg0
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
If I remember correctly, we just told them that we were transferring to POFQ (we were at the Contemp) and our names.

It was really no biggie, they do it all the time.
I know others have mentioned that their bags were later than they expected, but both times we have done it, our bags were there at bell services when we called for them. We had done check in on the app while at the parks so we didn't even have to go to the front desk.

OMG - He's sooooo grown up!!!! And an EAGLE SCOUT!!
I can still remember my cute little Tiger Cub!

2016 Reading Goal - 75 books
My Countdown Counting down to: Opticon - meaning I get to stay at the Contempo!
My Previous TripsDisneyLand - Nov-Dec 2002 / Caribbean Beach @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2004 / Coronado @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2007 / Wedding in Maui - March 2009 / Animal Kingdom Lodge @ WDW - Nov-Dec 2009

Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
JustMeFran
Community Rank: Sightseer

Post Thanks / Like
I am less concerned about my suitcases than I am about my smaller bags, especially my CPap machine. Should I worry about that being transferred and just bring it to my 2nd resort myself?
1986 Off Site
2000, 2013 All Star Movies
2016, 2017 POP
2018 CBR
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW: 1976, 1977, 1982, 1986, Dec 2000 (Honeymoon!), Jan 2013, Jan 2016, Jan 2017, Nov 2018

Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
Mares75
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
They really make it beyond easy. We moved after one night at ASMo to CBR. We sent our carry on bags too. We checked out and took our luggage down to bell services on our way to breakfast. They'll just ask for your name, where you're transferring to, and note how many pieces you're transferring. You can always ask what they recommend for the CPap or even call the hotel ahead of time and ask. You can't be the first person needing to transfer a medical device as well as luggage. I would guess there's some sort of policy in place. Either they have a specific way of handling medical devices or their policy is simply not transferring them at all and eliminating any risk to them of damaging it.

Also I'd recommend you stop by the front desk of your first hotel and check out as opposed to waiting for the automatic checkout to happen. That will free you up in the system to be checked in at your second hotel. You won't be able to be checked in to a new room as long as you're still showing as being checked in to the first one.
My Previous TripsWDW Feb 1994 Dance Competition (offsite), CBR July 1999, ASMu Aug 2007, CBR Dec 2008, Honeymoon at POFQ Aug 2009, DLR March 2011, POFQ Aug 2013, CBR Aug 2016, ASMo/CBR Jan 2017, CBR Aug 2017

Old 05-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
cynholjot
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you very much for that tip. I wouldn't have thought about going to the desk to check out. I am so used to just leaving the hotel now.
189 days, 9 hours, 24 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW every Easter 1977 - 1980, WDW 1989 DTD Hilton, WDW 1997 Poly, WDW 1999 Beach Resort, Land (poly)/Sea 2007, December 2012 WL