resort suggestions? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
PBuck
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Post Thanks / Like
resort suggestions?

Heading back to DW in Sept/Oct for an 8 night stay. We'll probably go whenever they have the best deals. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying out Port Orleans Riverside for the first 5 nights then perhaps upgrading for the last 3 nights. If I'm going to spend more money for a "fancier" resort I feel like we should make the most of our time at that resort. Thoughts on which resorts have the best pool/entertainment? So far we've stayed at the Boardwalk, one of the AK ones (cant remember which), Old Key West, All Star Music and most recently, the Saratoga. So obviously, we'd like to try something new. Thanks in advance for any info/opinions. It'll be my wife and I and our 4 year old daughter so it's mostly about her.
Thanks,
Pete

Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Wilderness Lodge, maybe?

We saw lots of families with kids there who seemed to be having a great time.

The boat to the MK is a lovely and relaxing ride. Bus service was very good, we thought.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
PBuck
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Post Thanks / Like
That is actually the one I had in mind. No reason whatsoever except that it looks nice.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
MsLydia
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
We did a split stay with Pop and AKL when DD was 7. We had a great trip but by the last few days we were caught up in touring and just wanted to see/ride/eat that special thing one more time and didn't take advantage of all the resort had to offer. I think if we do it again we would start at the nicer resort to relax and enjoy it before we go "park crazy"

As to where I've always wanted to try the Poly.

Have a Great Trip !
My Previous TripsWDW April 2009, WDW December 2011, WDW April 2013, WDW April 2015

Old 05-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
BriarRose4

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
The Polynesian is gorgeous! Being on the monorail is so convenient and the water taxi to and from the MK is great.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Her Dotness

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Another pitch for WL is that it’s typically the least costly Deluxe.

The woods around the lodge are so peaceful, too, but do request a room away from the lobby. Even though the fun stuff of Whispering Canyon Cafe has recently been reduced, the noise level near the lobby will still be fairly high because of all that wood and stone.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
MichaelF

Post Thanks / Like
Either of the Port Orleans resorts are nice. I prefer FQ because its so small. As for upgrading the last three nights you might look at Yacht or Beach Club. Like BW its walking distance to Epcot and it has the best pool at WDW.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
CynBeth
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
I am another fan of WL. One of the best lobbies plus the geyser! You can see the electrical water pageant. We enjoyed the MK boat and the resorts one to CR and FW.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #9
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, my kids loved WL when they were young. One of their favorite memories was swimming in the pool with the ducks. Unexpected magic.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old 05-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
TinkWink57
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
I would choose a monorail resort (my choice is the Contemporary) or Wilderness Lodge. The reason for both choices is their proximity to the MK. We recently stayed at BRV (the “new” name for the WL DVC villas) for the first time and we really enjoyed the resort. We are hoping to stay there again on a short trip in September. The CR, while costlier, is wonderfully convenient for visits to the MK - an easy walk or monorail ride. Great restaurants and you can easily access the Poly and the GF and their amenities as well. You can’t go wrong with either choice IMHO.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I am a Poly girl at heart and now after 1 visit my 5 year old is hooked. He loved all the activities especially the Electrical Water Pagent and playing on the sandy beach during the daytime before spending tons of time on the Volcano water slide. What was really nice was being so close to MK and of course the views are incredible. We were happy sitting with him as he played just taking in all the sights. Both pools were recently upgraded and there were games for the kids as well as Hula lessons.

I feel if you are merely spending time at the resort - then choose one with a great pool and activities for the kids. Poly has both. AKL did seem to have the most children activities/day be the 2 portions of the resort. I think 10 bw the 2 areas over the course of 2 days. Enjoy
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by cattailmarsh; 05-20-2018 at 09:52 AM..