Don't know where to start - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Disneyland Resort California > DL: Planning Your Disneyland Adventure
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
MayraLR
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
Don't know where to start

So, it's very possible that my family and I will be visiting DL next June. I am beyond excited!! It will be a first for all of us, except my oldest (he visited in 2017).

This is all new territory for me. I'm planning on staying in Anaheim for 7 days and will have 4 park days. I'm thinking 2 days per park will be enough to do almost everything.

I love researching the places I will visit and always try to learn as much as possible. Are there any guidebook you could recommend? Unofficial Guide? Birnbaum's? I want to start right away, as soon as the trip is 100% confirmed.

Also, any tips you have will be greatly appreciated.

My 2017 trip - Home is Where the Mouse Is COMPLETE
My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing through the Caribbean on the Freedom
Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 2006 - WDW / offsite; May 2008 - WDW, SW, US, IOA / offsite; May 2011 - WDW / off-site; June 2012 - WDW / POR; June 2014 - WDW / AKL ~ Kidani Village; June 2017 - WDW / POR

Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
manticorjenn

Post Thanks / Like
I am glad it looks like you will be able to go to DL. I would suggest the PP Live Guide for DL as well as the Unofficial Guide. When we last went to DL we stayed at the Dessert Palms which is a Good Neighbor Hotel and a quick walk to the parks. It was nice to not have to rely on transportation unless we were too dead on our feet to walk anymore. The ART system worked well in those instances. There is also the Anaheim Tour Company (I think that is the correct name) that we took a beach tour and whale watching excursion with. They were very easy to work with and we had a blast. We saw more whales on that excursion than our recent Disney cruise to Alaska. The Disney website at that time also offered some good deals on park tickets and transportation to other theme parks in the area. You may want to check on that if you want to go to any other theme park.

Have a blast planning and a wonderful adventure on your vacation.
My Previous TripsWDW 2007 & 2015, Universal FL 2011 & 2015, DLR 2012, DCL (Dream) 2016, (Wonder) 2018

Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 AM   #3
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
I'd go with the PassPorter Live guide as well, as that should give you all the info you need.

I was hoping our trips might coincide when I saw you'd posted, but sadly we're there in mid-March, so we'll miss you by a couple of months.

Relaxing on board the Magic. The trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic has started!
My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in Kew Gardens, London
2 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
MayraLR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by manticorjenn View Post
I am glad it looks like you will be able to go to DL. I would suggest the PP Live Guide for DL as well as the Unofficial Guide. When we last went to DL we stayed at the Dessert Palms which is a Good Neighbor Hotel and a quick walk to the parks. It was nice to not have to rely on transportation unless we were too dead on our feet to walk anymore. The ART system worked well in those instances. There is also the Anaheim Tour Company (I think that is the correct name) that we took a beach tour and whale watching excursion with. They were very easy to work with and we had a blast. We saw more whales on that excursion than our recent Disney cruise to Alaska. The Disney website at that time also offered some good deals on park tickets and transportation to other theme parks in the area. You may want to check on that if you want to go to any other theme park.

Have a blast planning and a wonderful adventure on your vacation.
Thanks for all the tips! We will definitely be staying in a Good Neighbor Hotel as the DL hotets are out of our budget. It will be a total of 13 people going on this trip and we will have a vehicle so we will be exploring LA on our own. A trip to one of the beaches is a must, I have to put my feet in the Pacific Ocean. I'm going to check out the PP Live Guide to see if I like it enough to purchase.

Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 2006 - WDW / offsite; May 2008 - WDW, SW, US, IOA / offsite; May 2011 - WDW / off-site; June 2012 - WDW / POR; June 2014 - WDW / AKL ~ Kidani Village; June 2017 - WDW / POR

Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
MayraLR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
I'd go with the PassPorter Live guide as well, as that should give you all the info you need.

I was hoping our trips might coincide when I saw you'd posted, but sadly we're there in mid-March, so we'll miss you by a couple of months.
I'm going to check out the Live guide. Thanks!

Too bad our trips are nowhere near each other.

Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 10-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
KimmyAnn1147
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Ohhh!!! Im a west coast Disney fan, i LOVE the California parks.

Initially, I strongly recommend:

1. Park hoppers. DL and CA are easy to hop between. I don't do hoppers in FL, but in CA its a no-brainer.

2. Check out airbnb and vrbo. There are a number of townhouse and condo complexes nearby that might meet your needs.

I love talking DLR, so keep the questions coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Countdown Counting down to: Challengers Meet at WDW
86 days, 2 hours, 54 minutes
My Previous TripsDisneyland 1985 (age 8); Disneyland 1991 (age 13); Disneyland 1998 x 3; WDW 1999; Disneyland Paris 2007; Disneyland 2013; WDW 2014; Disneyland 2015; DL Hong Kong 2016; DL Shanghai 2016 (!), Disneyland 2016

Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM   #7
revral
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
Unless things have changed drastically since the last time I was there; DL doesn't require the same amount of planning as DW, dining reservations can be made at, I think, 90 or maybe it's 60 days out (at any rate much much closer to your trip than DW) and the dining plan isn't worth it as it's voucher based and not only does it not Downtown Disney wehre the vast majority of restaurants are but you also don't get change if you use a $10 voucher to pay for $8.50 worth of food.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #8
KimmyAnn1147
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
I can't remember how far in advance ADRs are available, but the only place you really need to sweat it is Blue Bayou (which is beautiful, but generally considered overpriced (high cost for mediocre quality). You might need to be right on time if you want the early morning slot for Plaza Inn character breakfast too...but other than that, you can make ADRs much closer to your trip.

With things being so close, you may feel comfortable cutting the boys loose if they want to go back to the hotel, or hop to the other park etc. Those times can be some of the best! So fun to meet back up and tell about what you did!

My Countdown Counting down to: Challengers Meet at WDW
86 days, 2 hours, 54 minutes
My Previous TripsDisneyland 1985 (age 8); Disneyland 1991 (age 13); Disneyland 1998 x 3; WDW 1999; Disneyland Paris 2007; Disneyland 2013; WDW 2014; Disneyland 2015; DL Hong Kong 2016; DL Shanghai 2016 (!), Disneyland 2016

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #9
GingerJ
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
You'll have so much fun! California Adventure is my very favorite park, I think.

Tips: DLR seems to have more single rider lines than the Florida parks, so take full advantage of them. Using SRL for Radiator Springs Racers can save you an hour of more of queue time.

Top of my head, rides with single rider lines: RSR, Indiana Jones (another really good one), Splash Mountain, Grizzly River Rapids. California Screamin' had it, but don't know about its new incarnation.

Don't miss Toon Town. It only has two rides, which are so-so, but it's so much fun to just go and look at. Lots of visual puns. Mickey's house is totally different from the one that used to be in Magic Kingdom, and Minnie has her own house, too.

You can buy beignets in New Orleans Square--so yummy! I don't have the restaurant's name on the tip of my tongue, but it has a walk-up window so you don't have to sit down to order.

And Matterhorn Bobsleds, in my opinion, is so not worth it. It's very jerky and the seats don't have a headrest. I won't ever be going on that one again, and I love thrill rides.

And of course the LIVE! Guide has more of my tips in the rides and hotels sections.

Have fun planning!
My Previous TripsWDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016

Old Today, 12:09 PM   #10
MayraLR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyAnn1147 View Post
Ohhh!!! Im a west coast Disney fan, i LOVE the California parks.

Initially, I strongly recommend:

1. Park hoppers. DL and CA are easy to hop between. I don't do hoppers in FL, but in CA its a no-brainer.

2. Check out airbnb and vrbo. There are a number of townhouse and condo complexes nearby that might meet your needs.

I love talking DLR, so keep the questions coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've considered getting the park hoppers, but the problem is I'll be travelling with other family members. Since they are only doing 2 park days, we'll be doing 4 days, I want to spend the time at the parks with them. And I'm pretty sure they will not get the PH.

Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old Today, 12:11 PM   #11
MayraLR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by revral View Post
Unless things have changed drastically since the last time I was there; DL doesn't require the same amount of planning as DW, dining reservations can be made at, I think, 90 or maybe it's 60 days out (at any rate much much closer to your trip than DW) and the dining plan isn't worth it as it's voucher based and not only does it not Downtown Disney wehre the vast majority of restaurants are but you also don't get change if you use a $10 voucher to pay for $8.50 worth of food.
I won't be doing many ADRs, maybe a character breakfast. There are many QS places that I'm interested in eating.

Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old Today, 12:13 PM   #12
MayraLR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyAnn1147 View Post
I can't remember how far in advance ADRs are available, but the only place you really need to sweat it is Blue Bayou (which is beautiful, but generally considered overpriced (high cost for mediocre quality). You might need to be right on time if you want the early morning slot for Plaza Inn character breakfast too...but other than that, you can make ADRs much closer to your trip.

With things being so close, you may feel comfortable cutting the boys loose if they want to go back to the hotel, or hop to the other park etc. Those times can be some of the best! So fun to meet back up and tell about what you did!
I know Blue Bayou is a beautiful restaurant, but frankly, it's too expensive. Now, the Plaza Inn breakfast is the one I'm considering. So, thanks for the heads up on that one.

I cut loose the boys at WDW last time we visited. Now that they're older, it's so much easier.

Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old Today, 12:16 PM   #13
MayraLR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJ View Post
You'll have so much fun! California Adventure is my very favorite park, I think.

Tips: DLR seems to have more single rider lines than the Florida parks, so take full advantage of them. Using SRL for Radiator Springs Racers can save you an hour of more of queue time.

Top of my head, rides with single rider lines: RSR, Indiana Jones (another really good one), Splash Mountain, Grizzly River Rapids. California Screamin' had it, but don't know about its new incarnation.

Don't miss Toon Town. It only has two rides, which are so-so, but it's so much fun to just go and look at. Lots of visual puns. Mickey's house is totally different from the one that used to be in Magic Kingdom, and Minnie has her own house, too.

You can buy beignets in New Orleans Square--so yummy! I don't have the restaurant's name on the tip of my tongue, but it has a walk-up window so you don't have to sit down to order.

And Matterhorn Bobsleds, in my opinion, is so not worth it. It's very jerky and the seats don't have a headrest. I won't ever be going on that one again, and I love thrill rides.

And of course the LIVE! Guide has more of my tips in the rides and hotels sections.

Have fun planning!
Thanks for all the tips! I didn't know about all the rides that have single rider line. That is definitely something to consider.

I am looking forward to visiting Toon Town. I've seen videos and photos and it looks adorable.

Beignets, that is something I'll be adding to my list of musts.

Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf