Your Favorite Type of Luggage? - Page 4 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #46
Huntermom
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
I have hard sided spinners, One Samsonite, one American Tourister. Both "odd" colors so I can spot them on the conveyer.

I fly about once a month and always check my bag. I have had both for almost 3 years. While the purple bag has some scrapes, they are superficial. My gold bag has no damage.

I chose these bags because I was tired of waiting for my plain, black (just like a 100 other) soft sided spinner. And the airline didn't wreak that. One of my dogs chewed a wheel.

Charlie

Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #47
Sue M.
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv3291 View Post
Well, before our latest trip to disney, I wouldn't have given this question much thought and would have said it is purely preference...well, how wrong that is. We were scheduled to fly out of MCO on Sunday, January 22. However, that didn't happen. After several delays and finally cancellations of most flights because of severe weather, hail, wind, and tornadoes, I can tell you it does matter. My mother came with us and she swears by soft sided luggage. I tend to,prefer hard sided spinners. Well, after our cancellation and we made it to the hotel to open our suitcases, my son and I had dry clothes, my mother did NOT! I had a damp spot or two with an item that was up against a zipper. But my mother's soft sided luggage was soaked. Everything inside was soaked. She had to throw some items out, like her pillow that she packs and some make up and other items. As soon as we got home, she threw out the old soft sided luggage and said she would never buy one again. We travel a lot and have never run into this problem before, but now that we have, we have learned a very valuable lesson...when it is down pouring buckets of rain your luggage WILL GET WET. Her clothes were so wet that when we checked in the first day with dry luggage, she was under the 50 pounds. The next day she wasn't, but they let it go because she kept her luggage ticket attached and they saw it was under weight the day before.
I always line my soft sided luggage with plastic kitchen garbage bags, one on top and bottom. While I'm on trip they serve as laundry bags. Seems to work for me.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, WDW Jan 2015 POR, Aug 2015 Poly, Aug 2016 GF, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #48
Sue M.
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonag View Post
I am sure they work very hard, a lot of people work very hard. But as a avid traveler, I have seen many times when it is raining out and they do not do something as basic as flip over the cover on the luggage carts to try to protect them from at least some of the rain. There is absolutely no excuse for someone's bags to be completely soaked through all the way on the inside. That is prolonged exposure to the elements.
This is very true. One trip I was waiting in Houston for my connection, sitting by the windows at my gate. Watching the luggage cart drive up to the plane, sides up and luggage falling off the cart. There was a trail of luggage behind cart and pouring rain. I mentioned all the luggage lying on the ground to the gate agent who said oh don't worry, there will be another truck in awhile picking it up.
Why wouldn't they flip down side covers and secure? Ugh.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, WDW Jan 2015 POR, Aug 2015 Poly, Aug 2016 GF, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #49
SuzieBC
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
I have used all kinds. I have not had trouble with soft sides or Vera Bradley duffles. My expensive hard sided luggage got the wheels broken off. These days my really heavy stuff goes in my carry on to avoid overages on the larger bags.