How do you plan your meals? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Talking How do you plan your meals?

My question is when planning a trip to Disney.... is your 1st meal a favorite or do you try something new? Does it depend on what you are doing in each park?

I used to plan parks first but now the meals are more important. For my 1st meal of the trip I usually pick something that I love or new depending on my mood. Last trip my son & I tried a new place, Boathouse.

Next trip I want to go to an old favorite- Turf Club. At this point the last meal may be Trail's End.

So the question to you, how do you plan your meals?

Thanks for Participating.....
212 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
I usually start with choosing the parks I will be attending and then choose meals after that. Usually, the first day is our travel day, so I always try to book a meal that is a "safe" meal. I'm never sure how my tummy will feel after traveling, so that's my major consideration.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 07-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
MichaelF
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
On arrival day or first dinner is at one of our favorites. The rest are scheduled around what we are doing or what parks we will be at. We always try to eat at one or two new places each trip.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
I stopped doing an ADR on our arrival day. It was just too stressful so last time we chose a chain TS restaurant that was out on 192 that we have here at home. We had a really good meal and really good service just like we do at Disney except there wasn't a Disney price tag attached to it. We could also go when we wanted to without needing to call ahead.

As for the rest of the meals, since we like to do the character meals, they pretty much stay the same from trip to trip and stay the same meal now (breakfast) so it's all a matter of picking the days for the parks - which those pretty much stay the same too now. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Our plans seem to work the way I have them so I keep them that way
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 07-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
revral
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I've always planned the parks first and then picked ts restaurants. However, I think that's changing for my next trip in part due to Disney not releasing park hours far enough out for Josh to do his crowd/recommended parks calendar. But also because even if I do no other ts meals I always go to Rainforest Cafe and Yak & Yeti which are Landrys restaurants and I've found that with being a member of their preferred club I don't need an adr to get a table even at Yak & Yeti as long as I'm there close to when they open. So I'm thinking that this next I'll just plan the adr's and since I make most if not all of my adr's for lunch if the park feels too crowded I only have to be there through lunch and can then hop somewhere else whether to another park, DS or my resort.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
BMartin77
Community Rank: Passenger

Post Thanks / Like
For us it largely depends on which park we are for a given day. There are certain places that we like to go in or near a park. For example, in the past we've gone to SciFi Drive in for lunch at HS and LTT for dinner at MK. Having said that, we're looking to changes things up and try some new places in Feb.

We tend to try new places that look good/get good reviews at Epcot because there are so many choices.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #7
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
We don't plan anything on our first day now, as we've found all the meals on our arrival days tend to disappoint. We think it's down to the jetlag.

Relaxing on board the Magic. The trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic has started!
My Countdown Counting down to: Dinner out at a new restaurant...
1 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
CynBeth
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
I have family members with food allergies so we pretty much have all meals TS. We make a schedule and plan our ADRs around that. Sometimes depending on availability we have to adjust it. We have favorites we do every trip and then a few we alternate between. Usually we try one new place. For arrival day it depends. Usually we try to get a first or second flight of a day so will play lunch by ear but will make an ADR for dinner in either the park we will be in or at Disney Springs.

Last edited by CynBeth; 07-07-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I definitely plan Disney around eating! Disney TS food is awesome and is a very important part of our vacation. We always do some character buffets and our TS always include everyone's favorites and a sprinkling if new restaurants. I start way before our ADR day and everyone gives me a list of their top 3 restaurant picks for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. Then I balance those with our park days/balancing early days and late night days along with some rest & relaxation time. This chart system has worked well for us for the last 4 trips and many times I ask for more as our favorites are similar. We all determine 1 nee restaurant to try. This year we tried 5 new restaurants and 2 that had not made the cut in a long time. We usually do 2 meals/day and then snack as we need to.

As far as how we determine our first and last meals...that is much easier. The first meal is usually in or near our resort as we would have been traveling for quite some time and will be starving. The last meal is always a favorite meal...usually 'Ohana for dinner but depends on our flight time. I hate rushing thru a meal. I just say I love our system as we all get a say in what restaurants we eat at. Everyone always gets their 1st choice and sometimes more depending on how many days we are staying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
notjustamom
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Now we only usually do 2-3 TS meals a trip. We always have at least 1 character breakfast and I try to do someplace new each time. Last trip we had free dining sobad more TS meals than normal. Next trip I have Spirit of Aloha and Narcossee's both requested by DD. We're only there for 5 nights and arrival night we get in late.
My Previous TripsWDW 1982, WDW GF Sept. 1998 honeymoon, WL April 06, WL Nov. 08, BWV March 10, BCV Oct. 11, GF Nov. 13, BWI Jan. '15