After 19 years....Got AC Finally! - Page 2 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Family Room: Family and Friends
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #16
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Currently, we have ours at 72°, which I find way too cool. DH runs hotter than I do. I'd prefer it to be about 75°-77°. We do not turn it up at night (making it warmer), as our bedroom is on the 2nd floor and cool doesn't reach it as well (think about this - cool travels down, so a floor vent on the floor of a 2nd floor doesn't really travel up). IF your 3rd bedroom is the farthest room from the unit, or is the one most split off of in the ducts, it will always be warmer.

Congrats on the change! I grew up with no AC (not even a window one) and was thrilled when I moved to CENTRAL AIR!!

Thank you! I hear you about growing up but my parents had window units, but when they moved into the Bigger house and us kids moved out, that is when they got Central Air.... I am thinking it is my very old duct work and vents that is the issue. The 3 bedrooms are closer to the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Dotness View Post
Close the vents more in rooms that are too chilly and open in rooms where you want it cooler. That will push more cool air to areas that seem too warm now. Your bedrooms are likely furthest from the a/c unit which is what causes that unevenness.

We have vents 3/4 closed in our kitchen, 2nd bath and computer room, almost completely closed in the spare bedroom which is rarely used.

That keeps the degree of comfort we like in our bedroom and living room.

We’re in an apartment without one of those wonderful day-night thermostats so keep temp at about 72 degrees.

If the fan setting isn’t at auto, it runs constantly. Auto is the setting for it to cycle on and off to keep the temp you wish.

The on setting can be helpful if you get cooking smoke or an odor you want to pull out of rooms. I crack open an outside door and run the fan at on setting for a short time to bring in fresh air when I want to clear the air. Works great.

‘Grats on such a big home improvement. You’re gonna that a/c!

I would close the vents but they are VERY old and I can't. That is why I said I need to get them looked in after the summer. Actually the 3 bedrooms are closer to the unit, which I think the duct work is the problem. Guess I should have looked into this first, but just really wanted to get the AC installed. It was still nice to be in a house with central air versus with just fans. It was VERY nice to cook dinner and not sweat!

I will keep that in mind about having the fan on and opening a window! Great idea! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle320 View Post
Our house has two zones. For our upstairs unit we set the temp at 76 during the day when no one is home, 74 in the evening and 72 when we go to bed at night. For the first floor and basement, we keep it at 76 during the day and when we go to bed and 74 during the evening.

I know about zoning and I bet it is so Great for your house! My house is a rancher so all our living is on one floor. I was talking to my son about the temperatures last night- 76 during the day and 74 at night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjodybrent View Post
Fan is on auto.
When we're gone for the day, its 78.
When we're home during the day 74.
And, at night, 72.

Congrats on the addition!

Thank You! I am using your temperatures however I may only go to 74 at night. I guess this is guessing game to see what works well for us 2 people. I was texting my sister on Monday night- and she told me that they keep the ceiling fans on to distribute the cold air. I kept ours on too.
273 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
lovewdw2

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherD View Post
Fan should be auto, so that the temp is consistent. We have it cooler at night than during the day. Also, make sure you don't turn it off when you're out and then turn it on to cool the whole house later. It's better to turn the temp up than to turn it off. Though, I live in Vegas. So a/c is different here. We have it set on 82 and I turn it down to 79 or 80 if I'm having a hot flash or something. And the a/c rarely has to fight humidity.

Thank You, but I promise you I won't turn it off and then turn it back on. Apparently that makes it more Expensive! I only had it on ONE night and I must have looked at the Thermostat constantly, which I never do Next time I put it on, I will put turn it on in the early am and leave it on 76 and then at night (sleeping) 74...maybe. I am still tweeking it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJ View Post
Our heat/ac unit is turned to 72 in the day, 68 at night, year-round.

Thanks Ginger- it looks like you live Comfortably...in either house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaTink View Post
We have a programmable thermostat. It keeps the house at 80 when we are at work, and it starts to cool down in the afternoon so it is at 75 when we get home from work. This keeps the system running to help remove the humidity in the air while not wasting electricity. At night, the temp drops to 68 as I have to have it cooler to sleep. I'd like it cooler, but am trying to be responsible. We have dampers that change the airflow from winter and switched during summer to keep the downstairs warmer and the upstairs cooler. We also close/open vents depending on time of year.

I have a programmable Thermostat too..... and I may be using the "schedule" too.....I don't think I could sleep with the temp down to 68 that is really Cold! I put the heat on for 68.... but I am still playing around with the numbers. I turned the AC off yesterday at 4pm because the humidity is no longer a problem, for now. Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
Congrats on getting air conditioning! I'm jealous, given the heatwave we've been experiencing over here in recent weeks.

Thank You Cheryl! Don't be too jealous....not sure how high my electric bill will be after this BIG installation. I really installed it so when I sell my house I will get more money for it versus not having it. There are houses around me that don't have it and no one is buying them. When I bought this house 19 years ago the summers were never this Hot... so living with ceiling and a attic house fans worked really well.

Oh okay..... I can enjoy it for the next 2 years until I do sell.... . I told my son it isn't going to go on unless it is in the mid- 90's and the humidity is just unbearable! He said he is used to not having it... but he likes that there is an option now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haimia View Post
Right now, we are on borrowed time with our entire system. We were told two years ago that the system was on its last legs. Well, it is running the A/C constantly (heat pump) and eating electricity like candy. We are getting estimates to replace all of it. I just hope the A/C holds out until we get it all replaced. Tech even told us NOT to spray off the dirt accumulated on the outside unit as it may be holding things together!!!!

here's to Hoping it keeps going until you get it replaced.... You certainly got your money's worth out of the older unit. I have oil heat and had to replace my old heater back in October 2015. The AC installer just had to add the coils, and drains, and the pump, etc.

Don't do anything to your Outdoor Unit for fear it is holding itself together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam22 View Post
Congrats, Kate! We set our AC at 76 during the day and 72 at night (I'd actually like it at 68, but on a retirement income this is a way to save money.)
Thank you, Cam! I am not even close to retirement so I still need to save! But I like your numbers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
I keep ours at 75. Taking the humidity out makes it feel cooler than that!
That is the whole Problem... Humidity! I can deal with it being a HOT day, but when the Humidity gets involved, for get it..... can't do anything simple without breaking into a sweat! Having the AC on that ONE day- was so NICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Congratulations! We don't have central AC, so I can't answer any of your questions. We have window AC, but I would love to have central AC.
Thank you, Joanne! I know it is expensive to put Central AC installed, but if you have the duct work it isn't that bad....With your window AC, do you put in on during the day? Or when you come home? Do you have any ceiling fans?

I still love the fresh air.... and I missed that as the AC was on. It is nice to be cool in your house, but for me it will be a BIG adjustment. Today it being Wednesday is it alot cooler here- no AC. Love the fresh air coming through the windows....
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #18
DMA
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
That’s awesome!
We have never had central air or a window AC unit, but ironically yesterday DH said to me, I was thinking of stopping at Lowe’s to look at room air conditioner units. Yes, it has been incredibly hot and humid for the last couple weeks, and it’s so hard to sleep in this weather. We have been talking about it forever, just finally decided to get one. We ended up ordering it from Best Buy, and it will be here Friday.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #19
lovewdw2

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
That’s awesome!
We have never had central air or a window AC unit, but ironically yesterday DH said to me, I was thinking of stopping at Lowe’s to look at room air conditioner units. Yes, it has been incredibly hot and humid for the last couple weeks, and it’s so hard to sleep in this weather. We have been talking about it forever, just finally decided to get one. We ended up ordering it from Best Buy, and it will be here Friday.

AWESOME! You will be sleeping so much better, hopefully for Friday night!

Old 07-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #20
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
Congratulations on the central AC unit. Qe have central air in the originalnpirtion of our house but not in the addition bc my Grandmother did not like it stating she would be too cold.

We leave ours set on 72 and rarely move it unless there is a truly cool rain or other cool down. We always have our fan set to auto.

Remember it takes an average of one hour/degree. Therefore if you continually change the temperature it will usually cause your unit to work harder to achieve the desired temperature instead of just maintaining it. Leaving it set to a comfortable temperature is definitely more energy efficient.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #21
lovewdw2

Post Thanks / Like
Update....

I did get my duct checked this past Monday- and for all 3 bedrooms, the ducts were CLOSED!!! They have been closed for 19 years and why would the previous owners close them? (I didn't see how to open them- now I do). Much Better air flow now.....

Also today is Day 2 of removing the 3 pine trees. Yesterday the tree guys came (and they are Fantastic- removing other bushes/trees that I did want removed but it wasn't in the initial discussion! BONUS!) and they took down the one pine tree that was seriously leaning & rotten. Looks so Different.....Today have 2 more Pine trees to take down.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #22
joelsmom
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
It sounds like you are making real progress, Kate. The issue with the ducts being closed is odd, I think, but at least you have it in order now.

Continued wishes for success
My Previous TripsDL off-site June 1979, WDW off-site Sept 1985, All-Star Movies May 2002, All-Star Music June 2007, All-Star Sports May 2009, Pop Century June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, All-Star Sports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, All-Star Movies October 2013, Tropicana Inn at Disneyland Resort June 2014, All-Star Music May 2015, All-Star Sports June 2016, All-Star Movies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, All-Star Sports March 2018

Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #23
Colexis Mom
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 9

Post Thanks / Like
Great progress!!
My Previous TripsAUG '16 - POFQ, APR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn