How has Fastpass+ changed how you tour? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #1
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
How has Fastpass+ changed how you tour?

In the light of lovewdw2's wonderful question about which attraction you ride first in each park, I couldn't help but think, how has Fastpass+ changed how you tour?

Once upon a time, we had our set attractions that we'd head to, but now, unless it's Extra Magic Hour and those attractions are open, it often depends on what our Fastpass+ is for that day...

Relaxing in Montreux on our weekend break in Switzerland. The pre-trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic is now underway.
My Countdown Counting down to: Finally seeing Christopher Robin!
10 hours, 49 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Needing an FP for the most popular attractions feels too restrictive to me. We get them for those we enjoy, but I wish it weren’t necessary to prevent lengthy waits.

I wish it was still possible to book a room and nothing else. But, you do what you must to be able to get into restaurants and attractions without an hour or longer wait.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
chezp
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Dotness View Post
Needing an FP for the most popular attractions feels too restrictive to me. We get them for those we enjoy, but I wish it weren’t necessary to prevent lengthy waits.

I wish it was still possible to book a room and nothing else. But, you do what you must to be able to get into restaurants and attractions without an hour or longer wait.
So true.. or to get in at all in some cases....

Relaxing in Montreux on our weekend break in Switzerland. The pre-trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic is now underway.
10 hours, 49 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 07-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
joelsmom
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
FP+ has definitely changed our visits. To get our best result, we are constantly checking those phones to see “what’s available “ next. We don’t always get the chance to soak in the little things, any more, because the day is about so much strategy...right place, right time...not traipsing in a zigzag pattern all day, either. So often, we’re in Fantasyland, and there’s a FP in Frontierland. Then, it’s Tomorrowland. I can’t stand that zigzagging, so we’re looking for something near us, too. It’s sort of sad, really, but between FP+ and ADRs, it just is what it is. We do our best, but it gets tiresome.

When we visited Disneyland a few years back, I just loved, loved that there was always something we could find to do that didn’t require an hour wait. No FP+ was a major +. The days were soooo relaxing, except for getting to Radiator Springs Racers. Almost everything else was just walk up and get in line. We rode Soarin’ three times in our 5 days and never waited more than 20 minutes.
My Previous TripsDL off-site June 1979, WDW off-site Sept 1985, All-Star Movies May 2002, All-Star Music June 2007, All-Star Sports May 2009, Pop Century June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, All-Star Sports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, All-Star Movies October 2013, Tropicana Inn at Disneyland Resort June 2014, All-Star Music May 2015, All-Star Sports June 2016, All-Star Movies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, All-Star Sports March 2018

Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
purplegal
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
Our strategy is to get there early and ride what we can, making our fast passes for a little later in the day. I really don’t like the fact that we have to use fast passes I much prefer the old days, everyone in one line and you all move forward together.

Julia
My Countdown Counting down to:
Tigger I am here!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1972, WDW 1987, WDW 1996, WDW 2005, Coronado Springs 2008, POFQ Jan 09, POFQ Aug 09, Apr 2011, Aug 2012, May 2013

Old 07-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
toddjodybrent
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
The answer depends on which park, which season, and park hours.

For example, in the summer, we like to relax at a pool or take in a water park knowing that we have FP's for Soarin' before dinner at EPCOT. Love that I don't have to race to the park and the FP kiosk to get something for the evening!

Or, if Magic Kingdom has AM extra magic hours, we head to Tomorrowland for Buzz and other attractions before our FP's go live in Fantasyland and Frontierland. But, if we arrive at park opening with everyone else, we turn left and walk on Jungle Cruise and Pirates before the crowd catches up with us and our Frontierland/Liberty Square FP's times. Especially in Magic Kingdom, I'm on my phone as soon as we scan our 3rd FP and typically make one for something in Tomorrowland--Buzz and/or Laugh Floor.

As for Animal Kingdom, Flight of Passage requires a FP for us, sometime later in the day, as we want to say good morning to the animals on safari.

I'm still thinking about Studios. This is another park that we grab additional FP's after our 3 and we love the shows. Toy Story Land is going to provide us with new strategy.

A question I ponder is "What rides/attractions have we ONLY used FP for?" I laugh that we have never seen the stand-by queue for Splash Mountain, FROZEN, or Peter Pan, although during a special morning event, we walked through the Peter Pan queue and took video--it was lovely!

Bottom line, while planning can feel burdensome, so would making plans/decisions on the spot. I appreciate the flexibility that FP provides us. I don't feel "locked in," I feel relieved of the weight of decision making as some of them have already been made.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Summer 1976 with family, March 1984 Senior Spring Break Trip, Nov. 2006, Sept. 2007, Sept. 2008, March 2009, Nov. 2009, March 2010, Nov. 2010, July 2011, March 2012, December 2012, July 2013, July 2014, February 2016, June/July 2016, November 2016, December 2016/January 2017, March 2017, July 2017; December 2017/January 2018, March 2018, June 2018 Disneyland July 2015; Disney Cruise Line March 2007--Wonder, July 2008--Magic, Dec. 2009--Magic, July 2011--Dream, December 2012--Dream, July 2014--Fantasy, December 2015--Fantasy, June 2017--Dream--June 2018--Dream; Adventures by Disney (ABD) July 2009; Universal March 2008, July 2014

Old 07-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
chezp
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsmom View Post
FP+ has definitely changed our visits. To get our best result, we are constantly checking those phones to see “what’s available “ next. We don’t always get the chance to soak in the little things, any more, because the day is about so much strategy...right place, right time...not traipsing in a zigzag pattern all day, either. So often, we’re in Fantasyland, and there’s a FP in Frontierland. Then, it’s Tomorrowland. I can’t stand that zigzagging, so we’re looking for something near us, too. It’s sort of sad, really, but between FP+ and ADRs, it just is what it is. We do our best, but it gets tiresome.
You're so right. I hadn't thought of that, because really until our most recent couple of vacations, we didn't have a cell phone with Internet service, so we didn't use the app. We only started to do it a bit more this trip and I can see how it could take over your vacation.

Quote:
When we visited Disneyland a few years back, I just loved, loved that there was always something we could find to do that didn’t require an hour wait. No FP+ was a major +. The days were soooo relaxing, except for getting to Radiator Springs Racers. Almost everything else was just walk up and get in line. We rode Soarin’ three times in our 5 days and never waited more than 20 minutes.
So true! I have a horrible feeling though that mat have changed there, now you can get the MaxPASS feature. I don't know, as we haven't been since 2015, but we'll find out next spring....

10 hours, 49 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
chezp
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjodybrent View Post
A question I ponder is "What rides/attractions have we ONLY used FP for?" I laugh that we have never seen the stand-by queue for Splash Mountain, FROZEN, or Peter Pan, although during a special morning event, we walked through the Peter Pan queue and took video--it was lovely!
Ok, that is such a good question that I'm going to pinch it, as I'd love to know people's answers!

10 hours, 49 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
MichaelF

Post Thanks / Like
It hasn't changed it a lot other than let us plan ahead. We know the times of FP before we get to the park instead of going to ride/attraction and finding out the time the day we are there.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
I LOVE your question, Cheryl!

Making Fast passes 60 days out is good especially the rides that are popular. I like to walk around the parks and see what has a short wait, otherwise I usually say no. I too do not like to walk back & forth because eventually I will get tired (and certainly not to make my kids go from one end of the park to the other).

I miss the old days too. My sister is from the old days and every so often she will ask me a question and I have to explain it isn't like that anymore. You can't just walk up to a ride and expect to wait 10 or 15 minutes, same as a restaurant....that part she really doesn't get!!

When I was in DisneyLand August 2016, it was Super crowded. Of course their fast passes are quite different and not every popular ride has a fast pass. We waited for Toy Story Mania for about 28 minutes (no Fast pass for this)- I was surprised how slow the line moved. But almost every other ride had major lines. There were rides I wanted to go on in DisneyLand that we could not stand & wait maybe an hour. I think it really depends on what month you go in and I think that still applies to Disney World as well.

Having Fastpass has helped me in some of the rides that are popular, but I take it or leave it if they are longer waits without one.
276 days, 4 hours, 29 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
Cam22
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
I like that we don't have to be up and at the park by rope drop to get a FP for rides like Toy Story. So we can start our day later and still get in the headliners for each park. But I also feel pressure to make wise choices two months in advance. Touring is definitely different now.
My Previous TripsAKL Jambo April/May 2017--SSR/OKW Sept/Oct 2016 --AKL Kidani May 2016 -- Polynesian Village Resort May 2015 -- OKW/Magic December 2014 -- AKL Jambo House October 2014 -- VWL May 2014--SSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach

Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #12
allgiggles
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
On our full day at a park it hasn't really changed much for us other than we know exactly which rides we'll be riding using FP. We still do rope drop and ride things s/b for the first few hours and have FPs scheduled beginning at about 10:30. We continue to ride s/b in between our FPs times. When we leave the park for a break in the afternoon, we make sure to schedule a FP for when we plan to return. We followed the same basic pattern with legacy FP except we had to go grab the FP in between standby rides.

FP+ has made our short days at a park much easier. We now know we will get on 3 rides even if we only plan to be at the park for a few hours. For example, on our arrival day we always go to Epcot that evening. With legacy FP we had no idea if we could get *any* FP and would possibly be stuck riding just one or two things standby. Now we know we're going to ride Soarin', Spaceship Earth, and get some photos at Character Spot. Same thing goes for our sleep-in/down day. We'll make FPs at a park for late afternoon. We are able to go to AK at 2:00 in the afternoon and know we can ride FOP, Safari, and Festival of the Lion King.

I was very nervous about FP+ when it first started but as soon as we started using it, I loved it and saw it would really benefit us based on the way we tour the parks.
My Previous TripsWDW - Lake Buena Vista Village March 1979; WDW offsite April 1979; WDW offsite April 1981; ASMo June 2001; PC June 2004; PC May 2009; PC June 2011; AoA Lion King June 2013; AoA Lion King June 2015; AoA Nemo June 2016; AoA LK June 2018

Old 07-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #13
Kynna
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
I like the fact that we don't feel pressure to get up at the crack of dawn to get in major attractions without a long line. We used to get up for rope drop, take a nap mid day, and go back in the evening to avoid the most crowded part of the day because it meant standing in line for even minor attractions. Now we can show up at 11 am and still know we are at least going to get on three things. I do miss the excitement of rope drop a little but I don't miss the crowded buses and security lines at park opening.

Later in the day we find ourselves being open to attractions we wouldn't normally think to do because there is a fastpass available. It's kind of fun!

Fun at Jambo House
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR '82, WDW '89, '91, '95. POR'97,DLH'03, DLH'06, OKW Jan. & SSR June '08 VWL March 09, BWV Jan 10, VWL March '11, Branson MO June 2011, DLR Sept 2011, CBR/Tree House Adventure & Harry Potter Birthday Bash June 2012! Haunted Mansion holiday DLR Oct 2012, ASM & AKL June 2013, POP/BWV Spring Break 2014, Treehouse Christmas 2014, CSR/Wilderness Lodge Reunion June 2015, November 2015 Disneyland Diamond Anniversary, SSR Food & Wine 2016, BLT-Disney Cruise-CSR 2016, AKL Thanksgiving 2017

Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
SuperDave

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
Different for me too with FP+ too as my attractions are more planned now instead of heading to the park and hoping to get a FastPass. It is less pressure with the most popular attractions as you don't have to get there early for the most popular ones. Can do other things until your window opens up.

October 6, 2017-Enjoying an amazing dinner at Victoria & Albert's with PP's Dot and Drew

My TR from my most recent trip is now underway. Includes: Universal Studios Florida, Disney World and Sea World
Orlando Trifecta TR
-Updated August 14th!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1995-2000, 2006-Various in Europe: Italy, Switzerland, France, England, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Lichtenstein, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Morocco; 1998-U.S. National Parks (California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada) 1999-Las Vegas, 2001-Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii, 2005-Memphis, 2011-Austin, TX: ACL Festival and Orlando: Bay Hill Lodge; 2013-Paris and Eastern France's Wine Country, 2015-Memphis for 7 WDW: 2002-WL, 2003-CSR, 2004-AKL, 2005-BWI, 2007-POR, BC, 2008-Offsite Championsgate Omni & CBR, 2009-Poly, POR (Decade of Dreams), 2010-POFQ, GF, 2011-POFQ, 2012-CSR,WL, 2014-POR, 2015-DCL Magic in Western Caribbean, 2016-B Resort in DS, 2017-USF: Royal Pacific /WDW: Dolphin