Repetition of word or phrases...from the young! - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Family Room: Family and Friends
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Talking Repetition of word or phrases...from the young!

So my College son is home this Summer...he is 21 years old but I am hearing the same phrase over and over....at first I didn't really think much of it, but now I am making jokes about it....

When I ask him for his opinion...his reply is "I'm fine". or "My bad" or my least favorite even though I really haven't heard it much, "No Mom"- in his deep voice and it reminds me of a door bell....

I love having him home and it will be about 6 more weeks that he will be home! We get along pretty well, probably because we have the same personality...and I just said to him on Monday "is it a drag to hang out with your mother?"...and he said "no". Times are so very different because I know when I was 21 I wanted nothing to do with hanging out with my mother!

Anyway...before I drag this question out... are you experiencing the same thing with your kids?
276 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
My DS is 20 and lived at home last semester. This summer he's doing an internship at college. "I don't know" is his standard phrase.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 07-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
joelsmom
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
I hear “My bad” too much for my liking, but I know this too shall eventually pass.

Lately, though, when I ask my son something, if the answer is yes, he wants to say, “Just about.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said, “Well, is it yes, or is it just about yes.” It’s not the same thing, you know? He says to me that it’s just his way of saying yes, but it does annoy me.
My Previous TripsDL off-site June 1979, WDW off-site Sept 1985, All-Star Movies May 2002, All-Star Music June 2007, All-Star Sports May 2009, Pop Century June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, All-Star Sports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, All-Star Movies October 2013, Tropicana Inn at Disneyland Resort June 2014, All-Star Music May 2015, All-Star Sports June 2016, All-Star Movies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, All-Star Sports March 2018

Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Tigger71
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
My kids say "all good" or "all gee" and I struggled to understand if that meant that's fine or "whatever"...I guess I'm getting old.
My Previous TripsDLR 1995, DLP 1998, DLR 1998, DLR 2002, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2008, TDR 2010, HKDL 2010,WDW 2011,TDR 2012,HKDL 2012, DLP, Magic cruise 2013, Aulani 2015, HKDL & Dream Cruise + DLR 2015, DLR 2016, SDL & WDW 2017

Old 07-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Teresa
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Not really. Except my older one, DD #1. She tends to say "You know what I mean?" frequently. I think it's an east coast thing? Her DH and some friends of mine from NJ all say it too - they insert it in every sentence. It's annoying!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not sure about them repeating words much. My DH does though. Some semblance of 'it's fine' in a sentence when we ask how he likes something. Its kind of a running joke, but also means we have no idea if something is actually good or not. Fine doesn't mean much to me.

My kids are 23 and 24 (nearly 25) and will still hang out with us. They're pulling away a bit more each year and do more things with others than with us by a long shot, but we feel lucky that they do like to be with us.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
NanaTink

Post Thanks / Like
"It's all good" is the one I hear. I seriously doubt it's ALL good, but if I ask them would they like xyz for Sunday lunch..."it's all good." "
Oh, sorry, hon, I didn't get that book you wanted"..."it's all good." I sometimes think if I said "THe cat ran away, the house burned down and Dad and I are moving in with you" they would say "It's all good."

]

Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
My DS is 20 and lived at home last semester. This summer he's doing an internship at college. "I don't know" is his standard phrase.

I get that answer when I ask about the upcoming semester....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsmom View Post
I hear “My bad” too much for my liking, but I know this too shall eventually pass.

Lately, though, when I ask my son something, if the answer is yes, he wants to say, “Just about.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said, “Well, is it yes, or is it just about yes.” It’s not the same thing, you know? He says to me that it’s just his way of saying yes, but it does annoy me.

I have been hearing "my bad" for awhile now...not sure how fast this will pass! Once in awhile I would like to hear, "it's my fault"..just to change it up, you know. "Just about" would drive me crazy too...and it is not the same. You are Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
My kids say "all good" or "all gee" and I struggled to understand if that meant that's fine or "whatever"...I guess I'm getting old.

My oldest would say "it's all good mom". Really? What's all good? I have to laugh... but then I throw it back.... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Not really. Except my older one, DD #1. She tends to say "You know what I mean?" frequently. I think it's an east coast thing? Her DH and some friends of mine from NJ all say it too - they insert it in every sentence. It's annoying!

I can see how that phrase would annoy me too...do you ever counter and say "no I don't know what you mean, please explain"....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
I'm not sure about them repeating words much. My DH does though. Some semblance of 'it's fine' in a sentence when we ask how he likes something. Its kind of a running joke, but also means we have no idea if something is actually good or not. Fine doesn't mean much to me.

My kids are 23 and 24 (nearly 25) and will still hang out with us. They're pulling away a bit more each year and do more things with others than with us by a long shot, but we feel lucky that they do like to be with us.

Its nice that you still get to hang out with your kids!

"I'm fine" doesn't help me either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaTink View Post
"It's all good" is the one I hear. I seriously doubt it's ALL good, but if I ask them would they like xyz for Sunday lunch..."it's all good." "
Oh, sorry, hon, I didn't get that book you wanted"..."it's all good." I sometimes think if I said "THe cat ran away, the house burned down and Dad and I are moving in with you" they would say "It's all good."

I LAUGHED when I read yours.... you know I have said crazy things just to see if they would answer the same.... what happened to saying "great"?

Gotta LOVE our kids.....
276 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
GATechGal
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
My DS has gotten smarter about it. His answer to put me off is "Let me think about it".

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
My toddler says sorry mom too much for my liking. But with that insincere tone they have. I also find teens say whatever or I don't know too much. My mother still says I say whatever and I don't know too much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 07-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #11
3dogknight
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
I never thought about how much I used the phrase" we'll see " until I heard my oldest daughter tell her sister , when he says that it means no. we all laugh at that now.

My Countdown Counting down to: OKW family reunion
294 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes
My Previous TripsI visit WDW yearly and I am a vacation club member at OKW. DL 3 times ,DCL 4 times, Disney Vero beach 2006 and 2009,2014,All Star Sports 2016.poly bungalows 2018