Deluxe Hotel?? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 06-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
kimjaw
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Question Deluxe Hotel??

We are planning a trip for September 2019, we have always stayed at the Contemporary Resort, this trip we want to stay at a different one which one would you choose and why.

I was thinking of the Polynesian and my husband likes the Grand Floridian and my daughter would like to stay at the Beach Club.

Thank you in advance!!

Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
How old is your daughter, because that could be a big factor?

The Poly or Beach Club is more likely to appeal to kids younger than near-adult. Beach Club because of Stormalong Bay which is more a mini-water park than a mere pool. The Poly because of the exotic atmosphere and closeness via boat and monorail to the MK.

The GF doesn’t seem to draw many families with teenagers. There’s really not much there that would appeal to that age group, generally speaking. We’ve seen mostly couples with very young kids or middle-aged and older adults. It does have a wonderfully imaginative water playground with a Mad Hatter theme that frankly I wish adults could do, it’s so clever.

If your daughter enjoys shopping and is not especially active, she might love the GF, though. Otherwise, I’d say that BC or the Poly are better choices.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
As Disney Vacation Club members, we've been fortunate enough to stay in their part of the deluxe hotels. We loved the Beach Club when we stayed there back in 2000 and it still has my heart. I just love the theming of it and the proximity to Epcot and the Studios. However, we did also really like the Poly when we stayed there a couple of years ago and found that to be really convenient to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in London
3 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
My favorite is the Polynesian. I love the theme, the ability to see fireworks from the beach, and 24 hour Dole Whips. I felt like the rooms were the largest as well.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
MichaelF
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
I would recommend Beach Club. Its very nice, walking distance to two parks and has the best pool at WDW.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
notjustamom
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Not knowing the age of your DD's is tough but I'd pick the Yacht Club. You get the benefit of SAB but the sereneness (not a word I know) of the YC. My kids have loved WL, GF, YC, BC, and BWI all for different reasons.
My Previous TripsWDW 1982, WDW GF Sept. 1998 honeymoon, WL April 06, WL Nov. 08, BWV March 10, BCV Oct. 11, GF Nov. 13, BWI Jan. '15

Last edited by notjustamom; 06-04-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 02:57 AM   #7
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I love the Poly and definitely would highly suggest staying there. The atmosphere is so lush and tropical and unlike any of the other resorts we have stayed at. There are pool games and hula lessons in addition to a great vibe throughout the resort.

That being said I do agree with Dot it really depends on your daughter's age and likes. GF has a lot of nice upscale shopping plus there is the afternoon tearoom. They do have several great fun pool areas and the location cannot be better. They do set up garden games like croquet daily for the guests to use at their leisure.

If being on the monorail is not an issue I would suggest Wilderness Lodge or the Beach Club as well. Both get great reviews.

If your daughter is into animals, I would highly suggest Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is very far from most things and I felt it was extremely dark and the rooms quite small but they had so much for the kids to do. I believe in 2 days there were 10 activities be the 2 parts of the resort. This was in addition to a fun splash area and beautiful pool.

I believe your best option is to involve your daughter in the process and then everyone will be on board for your next Dosney adventure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
jpcommons

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
Based on the time of year, I would suggest Beach Club for the access to the food and wine festival. At the same time, it may be harder to get a room because of the food and wine festival. If you don't really care for the food and wine festival, I would choose the Poly. I think the look and feel of this resort is amazing. It always reminds me of the Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii episode. I have the poly hotel on my bucket list.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
aislinn0903
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
We stayed at the Poly 4 years ago and absolutely loved it! The atmosphere, theming and location can’t be beat. Jumping on and off the monorail to MK and Epcot could not have been easier, the restaurants are fantastic, and the room was gorgeous. We were lucky enough to get a club level room and it was such a treat to have a lovely breakfast every day, and wonderful snacks and desserts in the evening, as well as drinks all day long. You can see the fireworks across the lake every night, and the music is piped right in so you almost feel like you are there. There were movies on the beach, and a fire pit where the kids made s’mores. Sigh.... maybe I’ll win the lottery and go that again some day, lol!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 AM   #10
KellyL
Community Rank: Sightseer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
I loved the theme at Poly. I took my nephew, 9 at the time, and he loved it there. He's 12 now and still talks about staying there.

I agree with others about GF. I stayed there and it really is geared more towards couples than families, though, of course, kids are there, but the pool seems lacking in appealing to kids. When I went with a friend, I thought, there would be no way my nephew would enjoy staying based on the pool alone. Narcoossee's recently became a favorite dining spot of his this last trip, though.

I had a bucket list for staying at all the MK resorts. I have done this with the exception of FW. If that is something you're family might enjoy trying to do, and you really do love the MK area, stay at Poly or WL. Both have great themeing.

If your DD is a teenager, consider BC, YC, and BW. The boardwalk offers lots to do and there are some great restaurants to try. It's also close to Epcot and HS.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
I didn't like the Poly as well as I'd hoped because of the different buildings. We were there in the summer with daily rainstorms and were caught in them walking from our room building to/from the main building many times. I prefer a resort where everything is in one building. Boardwalk is my favorite. YC/BC are good choices too.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #12
Sue M.
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
All are great resorts. You can’t go wrong with any of them. My fav is GF, and think the Beach Pool is lots of fun, I go down the slide too! I see families of all ages there. Both my daughters love it too.
Poly is nice too. And has the best transportation option being walking distance to TTC.
I prefer YC over BC because having a balcony is important to me. 50% of BC rooms only have a Juliette balcony. And Poly 2nd floor rooms have no balcony.
The MK resorts have the largest room size.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, WDW Jan 2015 POR, Aug 2015 Poly, Aug 2016 GF, Sept 2017 DL, Dec 2017 PoP, May 2018 DL, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.