Which hotel with 2 kids 9 and 5 - Page 2 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Forums Closed
As of January 1, 2019, we have closed our forums. This is a decision we did not come to lightly, but it is necessary. The software our forums run on is just too out-of-date and it poses a significant security risk. The server software itself must be updated, and it cannot be without removing the forums.

So it is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to our long-running forums. They came online in 2000 and brought together so many wonderful Disney fans. We had friendships form, careers launch, couples marry, children born ... all because of this amazing community.

Thank you to each of you who were a part of this community. You made it possible.

And a very special thank you to our Guides (moderators), past and present, who kept our forums a happy place to be. You are the glue that held everything together, and we are forever grateful to you. Thank you aliceinwdw, Caldercup, MrsM, WillCAD, Fortissimo, GingerJ, HiddenMickey, CRCrazy, Eeyoresmom, disneyknut, disneydani, Cam22, chezp, WDWfan, Luvsun, KMB733, rescuesk, OhToodles!, Colexis Mom, lfredsbo, HiddenMickey, DrDolphin, DopeyGirl, duck addict, Disneybine, PixieMichele, Sandra Bostwick, Eeyore Tattoo, DyanKJ130, Suzy Q'Disney, LilMarcieMouse, AllisonG, Belle*, Chrissi, Brant, DawnDenise, Crystalloubear, Disneymom9092, FanOfMickey, Goofy4Goofy, GoofyMom, Home4us123, iamgrumpy, ilovedisney247, Jennifer2003, Jenny Pooh, KrisLuvsDisney, Ladyt, Laughaholic88, LauraBelle Hime, Lilianna, LizardCop, Loobyoxlip, lukeandbrooksmom, marisag, michnash, MickeyMAC, OffKilter_Lynn, PamelaK, Poor_Eeyore, ripkensnana, RobDVC, SHEANA1226, Shell of the South, snoozin, Statelady01, Tara O'Hara, tigger22, Tink and Co., Tinkerbelz, WDWJAMBA, wdwlovers, Wendyismyname, whoSEZ, WildforWD, and WvuGrrrl. You made the magic.

We want to personally thank Sara Varney, who coordinated our community for many years (among so many other things she did for us), and Cheryl Pendry, our Message Board Manager who helped train our Guides, and Ginger Jabour, who helped us with the PassPorter-specific forums and Live! Guides. Thank you for your time, energy, and enthusiasm​. You made it all happen.

There are other changes as well.

Why? Well, the world has changed. And change with it, we must. The lyrics to "We Go On" for IllumiNations say it best:

We go on to the joy and through the tears
We go on to discover new frontiers
Moving on with the current of the years.
We go on
Moving forward now as one
Moving on with a spirit born to run
Ever on with each rising sun.
To a new day, we go on.

It's time to move on and move forward.

PassPorter is a small business, and for many years it supported our family. But the world changed, print books took a backseat to the Internet, and for a long time now it has been unable to make ends meet. We've had to find new ways to support our family, which means new careers and less and less time available to devote to our first baby, PassPorter.

But eventually, we must move on and move forward. It is the right thing to do.

So we are retiring this newsletter, as we simply cannot keep up with it. Many thanks to Mouse Fan Travel who supported it all these years, to All Ears and MousePlanet who helped us with news, to our many article contributors, and -- most importantly -- to Sara Varney who edited our newsletter so wonderfully for years and years.

And we are no longer charging for the Live Guides. If you have a subscription, it's yours to keep for the lifetime of the Live Guides at no additional cost. The Live Guides will stay online, barring server issues and technical problems, for all of 2019.

That said, PassPorter is not going away. Most of the resources will remain online for as long as we can support them, and after that we will find ways to make whatever we can available. PassPorter means a great deal to us, and to many of you, and we will do our best to keep it alive in whatever way we can. Our server costs are high, and they'll need to come out of our pockets, so in the future you can expect some changes so we can bring those costs down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your amazing support over the years. Without you, there's no way us little guys could have made something like this happen and given the "big guys" a run for their money. PassPorter was consistently the #3 guidebook after the Unofficial and Official guides, which was really unheard of for such a small company to do. We ROCKED it thanks to you and your support and love!

If you miss us, you can still find some of us online. Sara started a new blog at DisneyParkPrincess.com -- I strongly urge you to visit and get on her mailing list. She IS the Disney park princess and knows Disney backward and forward. And I am blogging as well at JenniferMaker.com, which is a little craft blog I started a couple of years ago to make ends meet. You can see and hear me in my craft show at https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifermaker . Many PassPorter readers and fans are on Facebook, in groups they formed like the PassPorter Trip Reports and PassPorter Crafting Challenge (if you join, just let them know you read about it in the newsletter). And some of our most devoted community members started a forum of their own at Pixie Dust Lane and all are invited over.

So we encourage you to stay in touch with us and your fellow community members wherever works best for you!

Best wishes for a wonderful and magical new year!

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #16
notjustamom
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
NJ schools always have a few days off in early Nov which can increase traffic at WDW. Anything that would make me change plans? No but just a FYI. If you want to be close to MK the Wilderness Lodge is great - since you ixnayed GF and Poly. Short boat ride to MK.
I'm partial to the Epcot resorts and that's for location, location, location. I can take a boat or walk to 2 parks and I'll take that over busses anyday. Boardwalk is so fun - we just stayed in Jan. I've done Beach Club too but prefer the BWI.
Congrats on the success of the business BTW!
My Previous TripsWDW 1982, WDW GF Sept. 1998 honeymoon, WL April 06, WL Nov. 08, BWV March 10, BCV Oct. 11, GF Nov. 13, BWI Jan. '15

Old 10-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
ilovemymac
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like
We have been to wilderness lodge for decorations but its not our cup of tea.
I could look into boardwalk and maybe ask for a room that is not 5 miles from an elevator haha.
We got married at the boardwalk which was why we stayed there.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
ilovemymac

Post Thanks / Like
Ok another question. Do the resorts offer anything besides pop or water? In a big tea drinker because I can use stevia to sweeten and it helps me with staying under my calories each day. And I haven't drank pop in years.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
Nova
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
We stay at Pop Century if we are not with our Daughter who has DVC. I like that Pop does not share bus service with any other resort, Also like the way the bus waiting area is. The kids love the Large Icons all around the resort, like getting picture taken at Mr. Mrs Potato head. The food court is nice, lots of room for sitting, TV for kids to watch.
Now staying at WL is where we go with Daughter and the boat to MK is nice you can get the Monorail to Epcot from MK. We go to MK most of the trip so staying there works for us.
Poly was great when Pop and I took 2 Grandkids ourselves they were 4 and still in strollers, nice when they fell asleep to not have to take them out of stroller to get in bus. Only bus we rode that year was to AK. Other wise we did Monorail to MK, Epcot and then from Epcot a boat to HS. It worked out great for us.
If you think of the bus rides as part of a Disney ride looking at all the sites then none of the bus rides are bad.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WLV-.2014 WLV-2015 two trips to PC, 2016 -JUNE PC, OCT.PC, 2017 PC

Old 10-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #20
ilovemymac

Post Thanks / Like
I noticed that beach and CR say free wifi maybe others too. Is this good wifi or slow wifi where you can't do much.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
All Disney onsite hotels offer free wifi. It seems adequate for a couple devices per room.

As far as your question about drinks. There are plenty of bottled/packaged beverages like juices, tea, milk, and such. You can get hot coffee, hot chocolate, and hot tea as well. I believe they also have one or two cold tea dispensers at the resorts. If you have a Refillable mug, you can use if for any of the beverages that are dispensed.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
ilovemymac

Post Thanks / Like
OK that's good because when we stayed at the boardwalk course that shows how much technology has advanced in the last few years but do you know six I don't remember any of the hotels offering Wi-Fi or if they did it wasn't free

Old 10-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #23
wishes
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Just remember, too, that if you have park hoppers & stay at an Epcot resort, you can walk through the International Gateway at Epcot and through the park to get the monorail to the MK. We've stayed at BWI several times, and the worst bus ride was the one to DTD. That took forever. I like the convenience of walking/boating over to Epcot or DHS. And yes, the BWI is huge & can take forever to walk through it, but there are some shortcuts that Mousekeeping showed us that really cut down the walking time. But I would request a room close to the elevator. Happy Planning!
First trip DW--Nov. 1975; Senior Class Trip DW--Oct. 1979; First trip w/kids--Oct. 1995; Halloween at DW--Oct. 2002; Spring Break at DW--April 2004; Christmas/Pop Warner Nationals-POR--Dec. 2005;Cruisin'--April 2008; Mom/Son trip-POP--March 2010;Taggin' along w/DD on DH's conference-BWI--Oct. 2011; 50th birthday with the Gartner Geeks--Adults only!--BWI--Oct. 2012; The Trip That Almost Wasn't--BWI--Oct. 2013; We climbed The Summit (National Cheer Competition)--ASMovies--May 2014
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 11-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #24
ilovemymac

Post Thanks / Like
We are now thinking a split stay. Maybe half at cr or poly and half at BC or maybe AK and another. It's so hard.

But we have decided a crusie first in april. So since there are no planes that arrive before 11am from here thought we'd stay the night at one of the resorts try to fly in early by noon. Then a day before we come back too at a diff resort so we can really make a better decision. I hope! Or maybe just make it even harder to choose.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #25
fluffybunny
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
We prefer BC over BW. I like the pools at BC better. We also spend a lot of time in Epcot so we like to be able to walk there. Next month we are staying at the Poly so we'll have to see if that beats BC. I doubt it will.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #26
rosanna
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
If you are going to have a car, you don't really need to worry much about the various modes of transportation. We usually drive to WDW. You can park for free, so we just drive to the parks, unless it's MK. I don't like the wasted time going through the TTC, so we always take the bus there. If I could pick any of the resorts, I would probably go for the Yacht and Beach Club. Stormalong Bay looks like so much fun. My kids would have loved it when they were younger. I also just think that whole area is beautiful. Lots to do and see

Visiting Mary Poppins!
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring Break 2015
DD's getting her Graduation Ears!!
My Previous TripsWDW: First trip! Off site resort-10/2007, Awful Hotel-Spring Break-2008, Off property Condo-SB 2009, Pop-SB 2010, AsMusic-SB 2011,POFQ-SB 2012, the Gaylord-10/2012, Girl's trip at AoA 12/2012, One Nighter at Christmas 12/2012, AoA/Pop-SB 2013, HS Chorus Trip-4/2013, AoA-SB 2014, Off site resort-8/2014, Girl's Trip II Saratoga Springs-10/2014

Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #27
Huntermom
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
I always chose my resort based on what I am willing to pay. I look to see what discounts are available and decide if I think the hotel is worth the price. Our last trip was a split between OKW and SSR. A one bedroom was around $330.00/night and slept 4 adults and a baby comfortably. Having a full kitchen and a washer dryer are big plusses for me. If you have stayed in condos or villas off site, you may appreciate the extra space. I thought bus service from the OKW was excellent and although we usually take a car to the parks, my son was sold on bus transportation this trip.

Also, I may have misunderstood you but I thought you indicated you might allow your nine year old to wander the hotel alone. That is not safe, even in Disney. Lots of places are crowded and disturbed people can be anywhere. I think under 14 need to have an adult with them at all times.

Charlie

Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #28
ilovemymac

Post Thanks / Like
No not alone I think I had looked like at the poly I'd let her go out on the deck or the porch and if first floor in the grass area. At the CR I was thinking if our 4 yr old got tired her and I could wonder the hotel