Which is closer: preferred or handicap parking? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
DrMonica
Community Rank: Visitor

Post Thanks / Like
Which is closer: preferred or handicap parking?

Trying to see which option will be better for my Mom at Magic Kingdom & Epcot. We have a valid handicap parking pass but I’m willing to pay for preferred if it’s closer to park at preferred (are there discounts for preferred for AP holders?). Thanks!

Old 05-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
I doubt that preferred is closer at any of the parks but don’t know for certain. We’ve used the disabled spaces the few times we’ve driven our car. The disabled spaces at Epcot and DHS are pretty near the gates. We’re not AK fans so don’t know about those.

You don’t plan to use Disney transportation, I’m guessing?

Magic Kingdom is rather less accessible, IMO, if you don’t. You’ll have to park in the big MK lot at the TTC and take either the ferry (pretty simple, roll a wheelchair or ECV up the ramp and on board) or the monorail. Handicap spaces, even the closest ones, are a trot from access to the ferry or monorail. Quite a slog if you’re pushing a wheelchair, especially that horrifically long ramp up to the monorail station.

I’d advise rethinking driving as much simpler as using Disney transportation is for the disabled unless you have a particular reason for not wanting to use it.

ETA: Just noticed the thread saying you’re staying at Boulder Ridge. From there to MK is very pleasant and simple by boat. You may have to wait for the next boat a time or two as only the large boats can take wheelchairs and ECVs. The route alternates the small and large boats.

We used the boat to get to the MK and then to the monorail to go on to Epcot when we stayed at WL. The boat rides were among the most enjoyable aspects of our stay. Much easier than driving to both parks.

You can even request a boat to go to the Contemporary if dining or shopping there. That’s a by-request stop, but just mention to the skipper at the boat dock that you want to go there. They’ll radio ahead for a large boat and request the CR stop for you.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 05-28-2018 at 02:00 PM..