Question for people who work or volunteer in local theaters. - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Question for people who work or volunteer in local theaters.

Some of you reading this might already know Abby has been involved with her high school drama program for the last four years. She's attending an out of district school for at least one more year and a few months ago I was told she'd still be considered a student of the town and that she could continue with the drama program. After some back and fourth (I guess the new Town Hall people didn't want to continue to consider her a student ) they finally decided that yes, she can still take part in Drama but only for this current school year. If next September she's still a part of the OOD school, they want her to find "community activities" and won't let her take part. I just don't know if the not taking part means just as a student or if they'll deny her being an adult volunteer too.

Having said that, there is a theater in the next town over. I can get there in something like 10 minutes (Abby still is afraid of driving so no license yet). If Abby wanted to join this theater, how difficult is it to do that? Being a local theater, is it easier to "get in" to volunteer. Do they only want people actually living in that town so Abby would be told no right away? She's Autistic too. Would she not be wanted solely on that or would be treated like she's got the plague or if she's a slow child (which she's not). This isn't something I'm looking into for right now. I'm just thinking of options going forward and those who know me know I like to research and plan and get information. Out of 15 years in school, the Drama program is the only thing Abby has stuck with past a few months - and I'm talking doing nights and weekends too when it's on "her" time, not school time. If there's a way to maybe keep her involved in Drama, I'd like to find it and let her know. If she tries an actual theater and it isn't her cup of tea, that's fine. I just don't like school telling her she's not welcome anymore when Drama (at least at shcool) has been nothing but welcoming to everyone and their abilities.

TIA for any experiences/advice/etc.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 09-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Huntermom
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
My experience with the local children's theater group in my town wasn't good. I had many friend's who loved it and so did their children. When my DD tried out, I think the adult volunteer was just not very good and I would have hoped parts went to kids who did the best at tryouts but they seemed to go to her DD and her friends. Then she let other kids know that there were parts for those kids who weren't as good. These were 6 year olds!

I think you will have to ask the specific theater. And it depends on what Abby wants to do and what she has experience. If you are worry about her going in to a new situation, you could volunteer right along with her.

I would encourage her to try. If she likes it, it can be a life time activity. A colleague in my building, who is of retirement age, still does local theater. He acts but also does the program and sells ads.

Charlie

Old 09-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
I work at a "professional" theatre meaning we use union actors. Our volunteers mostly usher, park cars, and help in the costume shop. Is the theatre a community theatre or a professional theatre? A community theatre would allow her more opportunities. There she could act, help with sets, costumes, lights, and usher.

Our volunteers are retired people, stay at home Moms, and some younger people who are considering a career in theatre. Being autistic would not matter to us as long as the person is friendly and can follow directions.

I would try to find out who was in charge of volunteers at the theatre and have a frank discussion with that person about what you hope Abby could do for them. It might be a good way for her to learn more skills like sewing or carpentry. It may also widen her circle of friends and build her a new "adult" community.

Sometimes groups can be a little cliquey and it might take some time to fit in, so you may need to be patient. But, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't give it a try. Good luck!

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort