Magic Kingdom Quick Service Restaurants? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Lollypopcorn
Community Rank: Passenger

Post Thanks / Like
Smile Magic Kingdom Quick Service Restaurants?

Hi! I'm going to Disney World in May and I'm planning to spend my birthday in Magic Kingdom. I'm trying to decide where to eat. My family is big (twelve people) and we don't have too much money to spend on food so I'm going with quick service.
Any suggestions? I know quick service locations won't go all out with decorations for the theme but I love themed restaurants, so if there any well themed quick service locations in MK you know of that would be great.
Another thing I'm looking for is a good menu, because I know some quick service locations only serve a few things while others serve plenty.

What's your favorite MK quick service restaurant? And which should I visit? Thanks so much!

Old 04-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
GingerJ
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
I like Cosmic Ray's. You have a cheesy musical performance by Sunny Ray, and the food is fine.

I ate at Pecos Bills' a couple years ago, after they changed the menu to Tex-Mex and wasn't impressed. And I'm not even one who insists on "authentic" Mexican food. It's usually busy, so apparently other folks like it fine.

The huge cinnamon rolls at Gaston's are YUMMY!!! and they heat 'em! You should definitely share these, as they're enormous. Their ham sandwich (in pretzel bread? I forget) was okay, but it's made with cream cheese--yuck.

If you can get into Be Our Guest at lunchtime, that's pretty good, and the prices are reasonable (Disney-reasonable). Dinnertime is more expensive, but I understand the Beast appears, too. BOG considers breakfast (~$20/person) and lunch to be counter service, but you still need ADRs. Dinner is table service, again with ADRs.

The hot dogs at Casey's Corner on Main Street are good, too, and an inexpensive option.

Remember, with counter service meals, adults can order kids' meals and no one cares. And I usually substitute kids' sides (apples, grapes, carrots) for french fries at counter service places.

Good luck!
My Previous TripsWDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016

Last edited by GingerJ; 04-30-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Lollypopcorn

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJ View Post
I like Cosmic Ray's. You have a cheesy musical performance by Sunny Ray, and the food is fine.

I ate at Pecos Bills' a couple years ago, after they changed the menu to Tex-Mex and wasn't impressed. And I'm not even one who insists on "authentic" Mexican food. It's usually busy, so apparently other folks like it fine.

The huge cinnamon rolls at Gaston's are YUMMY!!! and they heat 'em! You should definitely share these, as they're enormous. Their ham sandwich (in pretzel bread? I forget) was okay, but it's made with cream cheese--yuck.

If you can get into Be Our Guest at lunchtime, that's pretty good, and the prices are reasonable (Disney-reasonable). Dinnertime is more expensive, but I understand the Beast appears, too. BOG considers breakfast (~$20/person) and lunch to be counter service, but you still need ADRs. Dinner is table service, again with ADRs.

The hot dogs at Casey's Corner on Main Street are good, too, and an inexpensive option.

Remember, with counter service meals, adults can order kids' meals and no one cares. And I usually substitute kids' sides (apples, grapes, carrots) for french fries at counter service places.

Good luck!
Thanks for the answers! I originally wanted to do be our guest, but it's a little more expensive and also my family prefers to eat when they feel like it rather then have a reservation
These other options sound great! I'll look into them

Old 04-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
thinkpink
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 5

Post Thanks / Like
Our family fave is Columbia Harbor House which is near the President's Hall. This is a nice stopping spot with a New England/England menu including Fish and Chips, Shrimp (fried), chicken (fried) Chowder, Vegetarian Chili and a few unique sandwich options. It offers a few nice choices other than the typical burgers found at counter service restaurants.

There is some nice seating upstairs that offers pretty views of MK while you relax and cool off. The theming and decor make you think you really have stepped out of Florida and stepped into New England in the past.

Maybe also consider the Plaza...it is table service with CS prices and also offers a nice view and lovely theming.

"Disneyland has that thing - the imagination and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."
--Walt Disney
My Countdown Counting down to: 2018 Fall Trip
13 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAnimal Kingdom 2018, Beach Club 2018, Coronado Springs 2018, Pop Century 2017, Coronado Springs 2017, WDW and Universal Studios Coronado Springs 2016, Christmas 2015, WDW Animal Kingdom 2015, WDW Coronado Springs 2015, WDW Buena Vista Suites 2015, Disneyland Paris June 2014, Disneyland Paris December 2013, Disneyland Paris October 2013, WDW Buena Vista Suites 2013, WDW Buena Vista Suites 2012, Universal and Disney Offsite 2012, WDW Offsite 2011, WDW Port Orleans 2011, WDW Port Orleans 2010, WDW Port Orleans 2009, WDW PortOrleans 2008 , WDW Offsite 2007, WDW Caribbean Beach 1996

Old 04-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Another suggestion is Gasparilla Grill at the GF.

Riding the monorail around the resort loop is relaxing but takes around 20-30 minutes what with three stops before getting to the GF. Taking the small boat is much simpler unless you’ll have people using scooters or large strollers. That boat can’t take either.

Gasparilla’s is open 24 hours and has a pretty varied menu with lots of other foods in the cold cases for those preferring to grab and eat. There are tables on the terrace out front as well as along the veranda if you’d rather not eat inside.

Very easy to get there from the boat dock. Just head for the central courtyard and look for the entrance to Gaspy’s along the side of the main building.

It may be a nice break from all the excitement and crowds in the park.

QS at the Contemporary or Polynesian may work well for your group, too.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 04-30-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
disny_luvr
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
Our favorite for QS dining is Columbia Harbor House. We like to sit upstairs on the “little bridge” and people watch.

Upcoming Trips:
August, 2020
My Previous TripsPort Orleans Riverside/Yacht Club, 2018; Bay Lake Tower, 2017; DCL - Dream, 2017; Beach Club/Polynesian, 2016; DCL - Fantasy, 2015; Beach Club/Polynesian, 2015; Polynesian, 2014; DCL - Fantasy, 2013; DCL - Magic, 2012; Beach Club Villas, 2012; Wilderness Lodge, 2010; POP/Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009; Wilderness Lodge, 2004; Dixie Landings, 1996; Caribbean Beach Resort, 1991; Fort Wilderness, 1985

Old 04-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Post Thanks / Like
We like Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Rays. Some of the things they serve are so large that they are easily split between two people. We do it often and it not only helps the wallet, it helps the waistline too. If you go to Allears.net or even the Disney website, you'll be able to see the menus and see what kind of "combo" meals they have (sometimes chicken and ribs at Cosmic Rays, fish and chicken at Columbia Harbor House) and that might help you decide which place to go and which meals you'll be more apt to get and split. As Ginger said, you could also order kids meals too. We've also done that when we each want something different but don't want a lot. The sides with those are also great snacks for later as the grapes, carrots, and apple slices are usually little packs that can easily be put in a backpack for later.

Good luck deciding.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Lollypopcorn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the answers!

Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
revral
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I love Cosmic Rays. Something to know about Columbia Harbor House is that the vast majority of their menu is seafood so if you or someone in your groups aren't seafood eaters they're choice is going to be chicken nuggets and maybe one other item. Plus, Columbia Harbor House is small so you might have trouble getting seats for a large group.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:33 AM   #10
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpink View Post
Maybe also consider the Plaza...it is table service with CS prices and also offers a nice view and lovely theming.
The Plaza is wonderful, but it's also tiny. We struggled to get a table for two on our recent trip, never mind for a bigger party, so it's worth keeping that in mind. However, a big party did turn up at opening and got in. From what we heard, they didn't have a reservation, so you can always try on the day....

Relaxing in Montreux on our weekend break in Switzerland. The pre-trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic is now underway.
My Countdown Counting down to: Starting our second cruise on the Magic
Heading to Quebec City
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 05-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
MsLydia
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
Great suggestions here already ! Remember that you can also graze as you tour and sample all the great snacks available without sitting down at a single location for an actual lunch. We love the Nutella Waffle at Sleepy Hollow.

You also mentioned wanting to keep costs down. Bring wide mouth water bottles. You can start the day with a bottle of ice, from the hotel ice machine. It will melt as you go and then top it off at any counter service restaurant with free ice water. That way you have nice cold water with you all the time and save on buying bottles of water in the park.
My Previous TripsWDW April 2009, WDW December 2011, WDW April 2013, WDW April 2015

Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Pris
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
You can check out this site http://allears.net/dining/menu/ to see menus and prices of the various locations in the parks and resorts.

My Countdown Counting down to: Westbound Panama Canal
Wondering through the Panama Canal
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsApril 2018 Wonder thru Panama Canal~Oct. 2016 POFQ~June 2016 Wonder to Alaska~April 2016 POFQ~Feb. 2016 POR/Magic/POFQ~Nov. 2015 POFQ~June 2015 Magic to Norway~May 2015 POFQ~March 2015 POFQ~Dec. 2014 POR~Sept. 2014 CSR~March 2014 POR~March 2013 POR~June 2011 WONDER to ALASKA~March 2011 POR~June 2010 GF/POLYNESIAN~ June 2009 MAGIC ~ March 2008 POP/WONDER/POFQ ~ Oct. 2007 POP ~ June 2007 CBR ~ March 2007 POP/POFQ ~ June 2006 POP ~ Dec. 2005 POFQ ~ July 2005 POR ~ Jan 2005 POP ~ July 2004 POR ~ Jan. 2004 CBR ~ June 2003 POFQ ~ March 2003 POFQ ~ March 2002 Courtyard ~ Dec. 2001 WL ~ July 2001 ASMU ~ March 2001 POR ~ July 2000 SWAN ~ July 1998 DxL ~ July 1992 DxL ~ May 1989 off site ~ Dec. 1976 Honeymoon off site

Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
JoeEpcotRocks
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Another vote for Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Rays.

Love the upstairs and food for Columbia.

Love Sunny Eclipse and food at Cosmic Rays.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
Gail Eames

Post Thanks / Like
I hope your trip was as sensational as you dreamed it would be. And I hope you took advantage of the mobile app. We ordered and paid earlier in the day and once we had a table at our quick service location, we gave them the "we are ready" click on the app. It made everything so much easier to have a table already and the person carrying the food knew what direction to head in.

Gail

Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #15
TinkWink57
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
Columbia Harbour House immediately comes to mind - really good food and extra seating upstairs - and lobster rolls! We also enjoy Pecos Bill’s - it’s enormous inside!