Floor space in refurb Pop rooms - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Williextreme
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 9

Post Thanks / Like
Floor space in refurb Pop rooms

My next trip "home" will be next spring with two of my bestest buddies. We've booked a preferred room at Pop Century and assume it will be one of the refurbished rooms.

Since there are three of us, my friends got this bright (?) idea to bring a single-sized air mattresses, so each of us could have our own bed each night. They suggest we rotate each night, so no one has to spend more than one night in a row on the floor.

I have two concerns about this. The first is that I've never had good experiences with air mattresses. I find them unreliable. My main concern, though, is whether or not there's enough floor space for an air mattress. When I look at the floor plan, or at photos or videos online, it just doesn't seem that, with the Murphy bed down, there would be enough room.

Can anyone who's stayed in one of the refurbed rooms chime in? Thanks!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Art of Animation November/December 2016, Pop Century September 2013, 1989, Grad Nite 1980, High School Band Trip 1979, MK 6th grade :)

Old 05-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
allgiggles
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
All of the rooms at Pop Century should be renovated by the end of this summer/early fall -- so definitely by the time you arrive. I haven't stayed in a renovated room yet, but I've read reports of people saying they have been able to fit a twin-size air mattress in the room by putting it between the murphy bed and the front wall of the room. And about 2 weeks ago, someone posted pictures in a FB group of their room with an air mattress in it. It fits, however, it is a very tight fit and it involves a small corner of the air mattress being under the murphy bed *and* the exterior door of the room was mostly blocked by the mattress. If you decide to go this route, be sure you bring a standard height mattress and not one of the raised ones or it might not fit since it will be too high to fit under the murphy bed.

If no one wants to share a bed and you definitely want to use an air mattress, you might want to consider a different resort. The Little Mermaid rooms and some of the All Star resorts have double beds in their standard rooms so there would be more floor space for the air mattress (AS Movies has already started renovations and will probably be finished by the time you check in. It's possible that they will have started the next AS resort by then as well).
My Previous TripsWDW - Lake Buena Vista Village March 1979; WDW offsite April 1979; WDW offsite April 1981; ASMo June 2001; PC June 2004; PC May 2009; PC June 2011; AoA Lion King June 2013; AoA Lion King June 2015; AoA Nemo June 2016; AoA LK June 2018

Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Williextreme

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks!

They were looking at a standard air mattress, so it sounds like we could actually make it work.

One of my traveling companions and I stayed in a Little Mermaid at AoA during out last visit. While we loved the room, we HATED the long walk to the bus stop and swore we wouldn't stay there again until we're officially ready for the Scooter Brigade.

We actually looked into AS Movies, but there's some huge national cheer competition during our stay, so they're already booked.

Thanks again!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Art of Animation November/December 2016, Pop Century September 2013, 1989, Grad Nite 1980, High School Band Trip 1979, MK 6th grade :)

Old 05-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
We've used a queen/full Aerobed in a Moderate room which isn't that much bigger. I'm pretty positive a single would work in a Value. We lean it against the wall between the far bed and the bathroom during the day.

We do this in a lot of hotels because we have a boy and girl and they take turns sharing the second bed and the blow-up.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Sue M.
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
Value resort 260sq Ft, Moderate rooms 314sq ft room size. Maybe consider a moderate? I think you’d have more room for mattress. And more comfortable stay.
With 3 adults in a Pop room it will be close quarters.
I stayed in a new room at Pop but didn’t use Murphy bed. But in old pop rooms with double beds the door barely cleared the bed.
Something to keep in mind, switching around beds nightly you will be also sharing sheets. The sheets are not changed nightly.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, WDW Jan 2015 POR, Aug 2015 Poly, Aug 2016 GF, Sept 2017 DL, Dec 2017 PoP, May 2018 DL, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Williextreme

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Sue. We priced out a Moderate as well--we'd all LOVE to do a stay at Port Orleans French Quarter--but finances have us in a Value. I *really* advocated for POFQ, but I lost.

I thought about the sheets... I'm going to insist on keeping the same pillows each night. I've known my traveling companions for dog's years, so the sheets don't bother me as much as the pillowcases.

We don't plan to spend much time in the room, so I *hope* we won't be falling over one another. Of course, if we were staying at POFQ, I'd *want* to spend more time at the resort, so there's always that conundrum.

Thanks for the feedback!

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
DsnyDiva
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
I use an air mattress every year when we go for one of my boys (ages 20 & 17) I have stayed numerous times at Pop and never had an issue with using one. Sure its a little crowded but we stand it up against the wall when it's not being used to sleep on. I think you'll be fine using one. As a matter of fact this trip we also are at pop preferred room and will be bringing one for our 19 year old nephew to sleep on.

Deck 11 on The Disney Dream
Renee'
My Countdown Counting down to: Family vacation for 4, Yeah!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMarch 2004 (off Resort) April 2010, Dh & I , Pop Century, August 2011 , Family vacation, 4 plus 1, Pop Century, August 2012 , Family Vacation, 3 plus 1 , at POR, August 2013, A trip for two DH & I , Pop Century, August 2014, Family trip ,POP Century and Disney Dream, November 2015, because DH said so, DH&I ..Yippe! All Star Music August 2016, family fun of 4 , at Caribbean Beach Resort , August 2017, a trip for 4 plus 2, family fun at All Star Sports August 2018 The Young's & The Leclaire's do Disney again Pop Century

Last edited by DsnyDiva; 05-30-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Sue M.
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williextreme View Post
Thanks, Sue. We priced out a Moderate as well--we'd all LOVE to do a stay at Port Orleans French Quarter--but finances have us in a Value. I *really* advocated for POFQ, but I lost.

I thought about the sheets... I'm going to insist on keeping the same pillows each night. I've known my traveling companions for dog's years, so the sheets don't bother me as much as the pillowcases.

We don't plan to spend much time in the room, so I *hope* we won't be falling over one another. Of course, if we were staying at POFQ, I'd *want* to spend more time at the resort, so there's always that conundrum.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, that is true, at Pofq youd want more resort time to enjoy resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyDiva View Post
I use an air mattress every year when we go for one of my boys (ages 20 & 17) I have stayed numerous times at Pop and never had an issue with using one. Sure its a little crowded but we stand it up against the wall when it's not being used to sleep on. I think you'll be fine using one. As a matter of fact this trip we also are at pop preferred room and will be bringing one for our 19 year old nephew to sleep on.
Pop is a little different with floor space with new rooms. Less room for mattress.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, WDW Jan 2015 POR, Aug 2015 Poly, Aug 2016 GF, Sept 2017 DL, Dec 2017 PoP, May 2018 DL, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.