Handicapped MK fireworks viewing? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
Dani S
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Handicapped MK fireworks viewing?

My dad is a relatively recent amputee and in a wheelchair (he has a great little ECV called a Go Chair he uses at WDW). The other 2 times we've been to WDW since he's been in the chair, we have done a dessert party at MK and had a nice spacious area for HEA castle show and fireworks. This trip, there will be 8 of us and the dessert party is way out of the budget! I have been doing some research and can't seem to find anything recent about where handicapped viewing areas are for HEA. The information seems to be different and conflicting. Does anyone have recent experience with this? We want to make sure we are in a place that has a very clear view of the castle.

"Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free." -Jiminy Cricket

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
We haven’t been back since HEA began but found it all but impossible to get a clear view of the Wishes projections and stage show for DH in his powerchair unless you arrive hours and hours early and stake out a spot close to the stage.

Maybe someone who’s been more recently has good advice.

The bridge into Frontierland may still be your best bet despite somewhat of a sideways view.

All I can do is wish you
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Post Thanks / Like
I don't have any experience let alone recent experience but I know 2 years ago when I asked about wheelchair viewing for the Star Wars fireworks in the Studios that had projections as well, I was told there isn't any. I would think the same would be true of the HEA fireworks in the MK too.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 07-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Dani S

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAbby View Post
I don't have any experience let alone recent experience but I know 2 years ago when I asked about wheelchair viewing for the Star Wars fireworks in the Studios that had projections as well, I was told there isn't any. I would think the same would be true of the HEA fireworks in the MK too.

That's what I'm finding as I look for info and it's very surprising to me. When my dad is in his chair and there are people standing in front of him, he's basically out of luck to be able to see anything somewhat straight ahead or a little up. Fireworks in the sky are okay, but not looking at the castle. As great as Disney is with accommodations for people with special needs, it seems strange they don't have handicapped viewing areas.

"Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free." -Jiminy Cricket

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Dani S

Post Thanks / Like
Okay, so then my next question is, without a handicapped viewing area, where would be the best place for us to stake out a spot??

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Her Dotness
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
I hope you’re all sturdy enough to get that spot at least 4-5 hours before the scheduled HEA start because it may well take that. People go bonkers about occupying the best locations.

This time of year, you might have to get in place earlier to get a really good view of the projections without anyone standing in front of your group.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
minemoz1
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
My favorite spot is to the left of the partners statue in the hub along one of the fences. You should not have an issue with people in front of you if you set up camp along the one facing the greenery. Plus, you have a backrest. If you get there by 7:30, you should not have a problem finding a spot there or on the other side. It really starts to fill up around 8:15-8:30 and then the cast members make everyone stand up and move as far forward as you can. Then it gets PACKED. You won't be able to get an EVC anywhere through the area at that time, much less yourself. It my absolute favorite show. Having been there several times and talking with the other people waiting, they all say it was worth the wait.

I'm living the dream 20 minutes from Disney! Next trip...tomorrow. Follow me on instagram at ShirtsByShell

Old 07-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I found that the area to the right of the statue does not fill up nearly as quickly at least it did not in March. I also suggest the tomorrowland bridge. I am not sure about this last one but the one night we did the dessert party I remember people being just in front of the railing on the small section of grass/sidewalk. Not sure if it is wide enough for a powerchair but with the walkway directly in front of that area at least you would have a small buffer of open area. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk