Your Disney Trip's weather will be Hot & Humid- what do you do to stay cool? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travelô
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Smile Your Disney Trip's weather will be Hot & Humid- what do you do to stay cool?

Planning a Disney trip to go in the Spring or even in the fall, the weather can be dreadfully Hot & Humid...for instance I went in May 2015 and it was 95 degrees and I wasn't expecting that just like when I was in Disney in the last week of September of 2017, it was not only hot and humid but the heat index was 101....OMG! (my ankles swelled too)

So...your trip is going to be a hot one...How do you deal with the heat? The Humidity? Give me your tips....

What do you do?.... Thank you for Participating!
213 days, 14 hours, 52 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
minemoz1
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewdw2 View Post
Planning a Disney trip to go in the Spring or even in the fall, the weather can be dreadfully Hot & Humid...for instance I went in May 2015 and it was 95 degrees and I wasn't expecting that just like when I was in Disney in the last week of September of 2017, it was not only hot and humid but the heat index was 101....OMG! (my ankles swelled too)

So...your trip is going to be a hot one...How do you deal with the heat? The Humidity? Give me your tips....

What do you do?.... Thank you for Participating!

I canít take the heat due to health issues.

My tips for staying cool-
Get out of the afternoon heat. Start early am then leave around lunch -go for a swim- and come back to the parks at dinner.
Cooling towel with storage tube filled 1/2 way with ice
Floppy hat
Long lunch at TS if staying in the park along with a long attraction like American adventure or hall of presidents.
Lots of water

Iím m thinking of investing in a shade umbrella too.

Disney is not fun for me when itís too hot. In the summer, I usually only go in the morning or at night when the sun is setting. I donít need to burst into flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm living the dream 20 minutes from Disney! Next trip...tomorrow. Follow me on instagram at ShirtsByShell

Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
During our summer trips, we started our day before the parks opened. We left the park after lunch and spent the afternoon in the room or at the pool (in the shade if possible). We went back for/or after dinner and the evening. We made sure to take frequent stops in the air conditioned stores and attractions and drank lots of water (not sodas).

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
We can't handle the heat either. If it's going to be hot and humid, we spend as much time inside in the air conditioning as we can!

Relaxing on board the Magic. The trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic has started!
My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in Kew Gardens, London
10 hours, 37 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 11 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
joelsmom
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
We’ve made many trips in the high heat.

First, I try to drink a bottle of water at night, and then another one in the morning. I have had good success with that.

Second, we take advantage of any and all shade and a/c, especially eating indoors for lunch.

Occasionally, we have also carried those cooling towels or head wraps, but we have found that if we don’t like keeping up with them. Instead, if we’re feeling the heat, it’s easier for us to simply duck into a shop for a few minutes, or get a cup of ice water.
My Previous TripsDL off-site June 1979, WDW off-site Sept 1985, All-Star Movies May 2002, All-Star Music June 2007, All-Star Sports May 2009, Pop Century June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, All-Star Sports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, All-Star Movies October 2013, Tropicana Inn at Disneyland Resort June 2014, All-Star Music May 2015, All-Star Sports June 2016, All-Star Movies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, All-Star Sports March 2018

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Lumieregirl
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
I take a soft ball cap and soak it in cold water and wear it. My hair's gonna be a mess anyway so no concern there. When it dries, I wet it again in a fountain and put it back on. A cool head is the way to go.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
DMA
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
I have a neck cooler that I wear. Similar to the cooling towels, but you put it in water before use and the beads absorb water. It stays cool for a long time.
I got it at a craft show, but it’s similar to these on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/JellyBeadZ-Co.../dp/B004XX4X9E

In the morning, I soak it and then put it in a ziploc bag with a few ice cubes. It goes in the backpack and then in the late morning it’s nice and cool on my neck and cools me right down.

I have also been known to grab a few ice cubes from a vender’s cart to rub up and down my arms.

And, for the most part we try to tour the parks in the morning and head back to the resort by early afternoon. A dip in the pool and then a nice cool shower in the room really helps to cool me down.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Drink water, walk in whatever shade we can find (occasionally with the help of one of our umbrellas) do indoor show attractions (they're good for when it rains too - like you guys don't know that ), use cooling towels, wear our hats, walk through the misters if they're working, when at AK we'll ride KRR, have a "snack" break (which can consist only of something cold to drink) inside a restaurant. Above all, I just try to pretend it's not hot.

I think what helps us, truthfully, is we've been early birds the last couple of trips. We get up early and the sun isn't even fully up yet** so we're out before it's really gotten hot out. As the day heats up, so do we so it's not like that slap in the face of sleeping in and leaving the room only after it's already gotten hot out.

**Quick explanation - no, we don't get up in the middle of the night but sunrise tomorrow morning where we live will be at 5:22 am. Sunrise is at 6:37 in Orlando so for us, if we get up at 6 am, it's always darker than we think it should be.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend