Planning a Disney Trip- what is the 1st thing you think about? Use1st the computer or manually for lists? - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Thank you to our forum sponsor:

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

Old 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
lovewdw2
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
Smile Planning a Disney Trip- what is the 1st thing you think about? Use1st the computer or manually for lists?

When I am planning a Disney trip, I think of Date & Month. Then next I think of the Resort. Then after that I start thinking about places to eat.

I do a manual list, then get on the computer to make my spreadsheets.
With the manual list I may make several versions, but the computer will be the actual real one.

When is your next Disney Trip?

I am in the midst of planning one for next May of 2019.

Love to see everyone's responses..... Thank you for Participating!
307 days, 9 hours, 45 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
dsnyrn
Community Rank: Tourist

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
Hello!! Like yourself, I like to use good old pen and paper to start with. Then I can move things around as much as necessary. This trip so far has been ever changing but has settled down until we can pick fast pass! Then I do a color coded spreadsheet!

My daughter and I are going on a trip with just the two of us (64 and 44) Oct 1 for 7days to POP!! I love the F&W festival and can't wait to eat and drink around the world!!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
CynBeth
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
I do a pen and paper list and then just print out close to the trip each day under My Itinerary in MDE. We will next be there Thanksgiving Week.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
gremlinkid73

Post Thanks / Like
I have a planning notebook, nothing fancy just a place where I can make plans, change plans and finally book.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
joelsmom
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
I generally just make a list, by date, of ADRs that I want. Then, when it’s time to book, I use that list. Other than that, I let MDE keep it all for me.
My Previous TripsDL off-site June 1979, WDW off-site Sept 1985, All-Star Movies May 2002, All-Star Music June 2007, All-Star Sports May 2009, Pop Century June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, All-Star Sports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, All-Star Movies October 2013, Tropicana Inn at Disneyland Resort June 2014, All-Star Music May 2015, All-Star Sports June 2016, All-Star Movies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, All-Star Sports March 2018

Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
aislinn0903

Concierge Level: 2

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Kate in PA! We are at 30 days tomorrow!! In years past, I was the queen of organized, color- coded binders and mini index cards on rings and lists of everything ( including a master list of all of the lists, lol), one coordinated outfit (family matching, of course!) in its own labeled ziploc per kid for each day..... phew! The planning was so labor intensive, but it kept me sane while traveling as a single mom of three littles. Our 1st trip they were all under 8! Now I feel like a pro, and beyond the hotel and the FP+, we don’t even do a whole lot of planning before we go. In fact, this trip I actually purchased airfare looong before I really knew I was going, lol! ( What can I say? I had a surprise bonus from work, SW was super cheap, and we’ve not had a vacation in 4 years. That was all the incentive I needed to book a trip!) So other than the hotel and the FP’s, we got an ADR for BOG for 6pm on the actual day we wanted it. And I’m happy with the extremely minimal planning we’ve done, we have hoppers and we’ll just go with the flow!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Since I've been just a few times now :wink: I actually start with the computer by printing off previous lists of things then I move to pen and paper. I either mark up what I've printed off or I use white lined paper. It depends upon how many changes I'm making.

The next trip on one hand is not soon enough, on the other hand, it's just far enough away. ( can't see my own ticker timer anymore to know exactly how far away it is but it must be getting close - I got Disney mail yesterday)
20 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music

Old 07-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
Lumieregirl
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
I keep an ongoing list in my phone of new attractions we've not experienced yet, and restaurants we've not dined at yet. I start with that on paper, and then eventually move to a spreadsheet when details emerge.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
susanktz
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like
I created an Excel sheet in 2011. Each trip, I just modified with the new information. (2011, 2013, 2016 and now 2019)

It tracks my payments, resort address and direct phone number, which park on which day, with DR with conf numbers and times, FP+ choices & times for each day , etc. Then on separate sheets, I have links to interesting things I might want to revisit.

I have a sheet listing FP tiers for each park, that helps me with my planning.

One sheet for packing list. One sheet for tips to remember from previous trips.

One sheet for our scavenger hunt for the ride down and back. Travel Bingo and license plate games, etc.

One sheet for links of all rides for each park. One sheet for cool links I've found along the way.

And so much more.

Of course, the week before the trip, I start using MDE for everything.

My Previous Trips1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, WDW/Cruise, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
revral
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
I start by deciding on dates which may involve playing around on the DW and airline websites depending on the dates. I go back and forth between the computer and pen and paper. A lot of what would go on various lists stays in my head as I've been to DW ten times, have an Owner's Locker and have done enough non Disney traveling over the years that I just don't need to write a lot of stuff out. What does get written down or typed out are ideas, budget, thoughts etc. but things like what to pack or things to do that I do for any trip (ei. place a hold on my mail) stay in my head. The only time I make any sort of a packing is if I want or need to bring something that I normally wouldn't pack (ei. halloween costume).

Old 07-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
BMartin77
Community Rank: Tourist

Post Thanks / Like
The first thing that we think of is when (month & date). We then go on to resort (why stay anywhere but a WDW resort???) and then dining & FP's. We bring a white board into the living room so we can all see it/share ideas then I move stuff onto the WDW app for solid planning.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
MichaelF
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
1. Date
2. How we will get there and back. We always threaten to drive then end up flying.
3. Will we be going in the parks.
4. If we are going to the parks, we start making a plan, usually on the computer. We try to avoid busy days and EMH in each park. I try to put a general plan together of the main things we want to do and see.
4. Where will we be eating

We always stay at OKW anymore so the resort part is easy. The biggest decision we have to make is about going to the parks. If we don't go to the parks the only real decision is where to eat.