Just when things seem like they're going well, the other shoe drops [updated 11/15, post #35] - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Just when things seem like they're going well, the other shoe drops [updated 11/15, post #35]

Yesterday Lenny and I went in town for an appointment he had. The appointment itself went fine but on the way home, about 2 miles from the house, something happened to my car. I pulled over, turned on the hazards, shut off the car and waited a few minutes before trying to start it again. Nothing happened. I called AAA, got towed to the station I work at/have the car serviced and I was told it's the engine. I need a new one. Wonderful (and if anyone believes that's what I actually said, I have some prime real estate near Disney I'll sell you).

This morning I have such a wicked stress headache it's not even funny. I don't know how long or how much it will take to fix it and I have to be at work on Monday. It's early voting time and that means extra odd hours - and no car means "how do I get there?". I have Lenny telling me it's my fault this happened. I have mom telling me "your car isn't worth it, just buy something new" and "I don't know how you're getting to and from work. I need my car and if you can't take the van or have Lenny drive you, that's your problem" and I have the owner of the station treating me like I'm an unwanted customer (he actually charged me almost $200 for the mechanic to look at my car for 10 minutes - really "good" customers don't get charged or get charged with the intent of that amount coming off the final bill when the work is done - he won't touch my engine so the cost isn't coming off of anything ). I have the guy at the dealership telling me "we can't get to it until next week and you're a second owner so the original warranty doesn't apply to you and the second owner warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles and you're way above that." My car was above the miles when I bought it. Who buys a car thinking the engine might go so I need to know about the engine warranty? I certainly didn't.

I just don't know. We have a couple of car rental places a couple of towns over so I know I can go that route but the cars seem expensive (the smallest car they have - something that to me says "death trap" if you get into an accident - are over $500 for two weeks - and I don't even know if that would be enough time.

So yeah. That's my life right now. I just don't know what to do but since I like my car and don't like what's out there (not that I can afford anything "new to me") I'm thinking I'll take the money I don't have and just have my car fixed. Let's just hope it's not as expensive as the station is telling me. Uupwards of 10 grand - but they inflate prices to begin with, even more so when they don't want to do the work. I've actually lost a lot of respect for how they're running the business now so while I will continue to work there (I'm the gas station side despite the fact the owner says differently), I don't think I'll have any more work done there, ever.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
NanaTink

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry! $10K? You should be able to get something 'new to you' for that much. That seems totally crazy to me. I certainly would not have someone that is acting like that do the work either.

I'm not sure I understand Lenny's "it's your fault" attitude though. How did he come up with that reasoning?

you are able to work something out.

]

Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Teresa

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like rock and hard place are trying to meet with you in the middle! 10K is quite a bit more than it should be - should be more like 5K. Sorry you're getting twisted by the owner.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Disney Dork
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
So sorry that happened and you are not getting the support you need. That's rotten your work is charging you for a quick look at your car. The engine went unexpectedly on DH's vehicle a few months back and it was right after we had to replace the roof on our house so I do understand the financial burden. Good luck figuring out what to do and hope it helped to vent about it!
My Previous TripsASMo 1995, Honeymoon split stay CBR,OKW & GF 1998, ASMo 2000, 1st WDW trip with kids OKW 2006, AS Movies Dec. 2008, Pop w/ sister Spring 2010, CBR Aug, 2010, Pop Aug 2011, Pop w/ sister Spring 2012, PO-FQ w/ 1 night at BC for the pool, Aug 2012, Poly Studio Villa thanks to an amazing discount! followed by 2 nights at AKL Aug 2015, Split Stay OKW for 14! AKL for 4, July 2016

Old 10-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
KimmyAnn1147
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's a bunch of transportation pixies swarming to work their magic....

Car stress is somehow SO BAD. I had mine towed 3 times last year.

You will figure it out, but I agree with NanaTink that new wheels might be the answer. 500 for 2 weeks while you shop around might be worth it.

My Countdown Counting down to: Challengers Meet at WDW
53 days, 1 hours, 30 minutes
My Previous TripsDisneyland 1985 (age 8); Disneyland 1991 (age 13); Disneyland 1998 x 3; WDW 1999; Disneyland Paris 2007; Disneyland 2013; WDW 2014; Disneyland 2015; DL Hong Kong 2016; DL Shanghai 2016 (!), Disneyland 2016

Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
luvnwdwgal

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry, but your boss sounds like a crook. I would totally take it somewhere else. Don't even let him touch it. My dad was a mechanic over 50 years and there's no way it should cost you $10 grand. Do you have a friend or neighbor that you could borrow a car from if you can't afford the rental? Maybe check with your insurance company. You might be covered for rental insurance and you don't even know it. I don't know exactly what all is included in rental insurance but it might be worth it to at least ask.
My Previous Trips1981 Honeymoon-Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in a tent , 1984-Off Property , 1987-Off Property , 1993-Off Property , 1998-CBR , 2002-Poly Concierge , 2005-POFQ , 2006-CR Tower/Yacht Club , 2007-Poly, 2008-POFQ, 2009-Coronado Springs, 2011-CR Tower MK View, 2012-Pop Century, 2013-Pop Century, 2015-Coronado Springs, 2016-Pop Century, 2018-Pop Century

Old 10-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Pris
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Oh, my!! I have no advice to offer, except to get another opinion and don't let that shop where you work do the repair job. Sending you lots of to help with all the details you need to work out on the repairs or purchase of something else (which should at least be considered, IMO).

My Countdown Counting down to: Westbound Panama Canal
Wondering through the Panama Canal
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsApril 2018 Wonder thru Panama Canal~Oct. 2016 POFQ~June 2016 Wonder to Alaska~April 2016 POFQ~Feb. 2016 POR/Magic/POFQ~Nov. 2015 POFQ~June 2015 Magic to Norway~May 2015 POFQ~March 2015 POFQ~Dec. 2014 POR~Sept. 2014 CSR~March 2014 POR~March 2013 POR~June 2011 WONDER to ALASKA~March 2011 POR~June 2010 GF/POLYNESIAN~ June 2009 MAGIC ~ March 2008 POP/WONDER/POFQ ~ Oct. 2007 POP ~ June 2007 CBR ~ March 2007 POP/POFQ ~ June 2006 POP ~ Dec. 2005 POFQ ~ July 2005 POR ~ Jan 2005 POP ~ July 2004 POR ~ Jan. 2004 CBR ~ June 2003 POFQ ~ March 2003 POFQ ~ March 2002 Courtyard ~ Dec. 2001 WL ~ July 2001 ASMU ~ March 2001 POR ~ July 2000 SWAN ~ July 1998 DxL ~ July 1992 DxL ~ May 1989 off site ~ Dec. 1976 Honeymoon off site

Old 10-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
JoanneS

Post Thanks / Like
Oh, Darlene, I'm so sorry. It definitely isn't your fault. A new engine doesn't cost $10,000. You need a new mechanic. My DSon bought a used car for $5000 in January, and it came with a 2 year warranty, so based on that, I wouldn't put more than $5000 into your car.

Have you looked into a lease? If you don't drive that much, that might a way to go. Then you would have something dependable for less money.

Pixies that you figure out your ride situation. I wish I were closer so I could help you out.
: pixie:

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 10-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Luvsun
Wishing I was at WDW!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
Oh Darlene! I am so sorry this has happened!
First of all - this is not your fault! Good grief! These things happen!
Second of all, I am so sorry that your mother is not being helpful at all.
And I am really sorry your boss can't help you out - since you are an employee!
I do hope that you are able to find transportation to and from work!
Is there anyone (friend - co-worker) who could help you out?
And I will be sending lots of pixie dust for you regarding what to do about fixing your car!

Luvsun ~ Passporter Guide for~Making More Magic, Going Behind the Scenes, Feasting and Snacking, and The Sunroom
My Countdown Counting down to: Thanksgiving in Denver!
3 days, 1 hours, 30 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsChristmas 1971 first visit for our family, 1978 River Country and MK (honeymoon), March 1989 first WDW visit for my three sons, Jan. 1996 Poly, Jan. 2000 AS Sport and Disney Institute Bungalows ( now SSR), April 03 AKL, Aug. 04 Pop, April 05 AKL, Aug. 05 Pop and BC, April 06 WL, Sep. 06 POFQ, April 07 Poly, August 07 BWI, October 07 POR, Dec. 07 OKW. Feb. 08 CS, April 08 WLV, June 08 OKW and AKLV, Nov. 08 AKLV (solo trip!), Feb. 09 SSR, May 09 SSR (DoD tour - solo!), Oct. 09 BCV, Jan. 10 OKW for my birthday!, April 10 AKLV, Aug. 10 WLV, Dec, 10 WLV and ALKV., April 2011 POFQ, June 2011 AKLV Club level and Kidani Village, Nov 2011 OKW, June 2012 AKLV, Oct. 2012, CBR, April 2013, BWV, Oct. 2013 VWL, AKL Kidani Village May 2014, WL Aug. 2014, Art of Animation Oct. 2014, Dec. 2014 WLV, May 2015 OKW, July 2015 BLT, Oct. 2015 AKL Kidani, Sep. 2016 Polynesian Villas/Beach Club Villas, Dec. 2016 WLV, May 2017 BCV, Sep. 2017 All Star Movies, Nov. 2017 AKLV Jambo House, Feb. 2018 WLV, May 2018 WLV

Old 10-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
cattailmarsh
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
Sending you tons of pixies...we had car issues this summer and after weighing fixing my car and the fact mom struggled to get in and out if it and that would just continue as well as it was just too small for our family. We bit the bullet and bought a new to us car. I'm glad we did get the car but it was a huge purchase we will paying it off for a long time.

I believe that you are being severely overcharged. Darren got a new engine and this past year and it was like 2800 + labor. I would definitely seek a second opinion. Did they price used parts? A lot of times they are just as good and much more reasonably priced. Either way, know we are here to listen and vent to and we are sending tons of pixies your way...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 10-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
MayraLR

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
I'm so sorry Darlene! My car and my husband's car have been playing tag for the last couple of months, taking turns at the mechanic. I totally understand the frustration of not having a car. This isn't anyone's fault, cars are so unpredictable. 10K seems like an awful lot of money for an engine, I'm pretty sure you could get another car for that amount. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. I hope you can find a a way to work this out.

My 2017 trip - Home is Where the Mouse Is COMPLETE
My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing through the Caribbean on the Freedom
Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 2006 - WDW / offsite; May 2008 - WDW, SW, US, IOA / offsite; May 2011 - WDW / off-site; June 2012 - WDW / POR; June 2014 - WDW / AKL ~ Kidani Village; June 2017 - WDW / POR

Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
allgiggles
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Car trouble always seems to happen at the worst times.

Like others have said, that $10K price seems very high. It sounds like the price for a brand new engine. Most repair shops use rebuilt/used engines and those are usually about half that price or less. The last time we had an engine replaced (which, granted, was about 15 years ago) we paid $2800. I would definitely get a second price estimate somewhere else.

And I also wanted to mention that in our experience (and our mechanic of 25 years agrees with this) that once the engine or transmission of a car goes, the other one will go in the next year. We've had 2 cars that we replaced the engine on and within a year the transmission went. We've had one car where we replaced the transmission and 3 months later the engine went. We tend to drive our cars until they die (or are near death) but we decided after those 3 incidents that once the engine or transmission goes (unless it's still under warranty), we replace the car. We usually buy slightly used cars (about 2-3 years old) and we now only buy certified used vehicles so that they come with a manufacturer's warranty.

I hope you're able to figure out something soon. I know how frustrating it is to not have a car.
My Previous TripsWDW - Lake Buena Vista Village March 1979; WDW offsite April 1979; WDW offsite April 1981; ASMo June 2001; PC June 2004; PC May 2009; PC June 2011; AoA Lion King June 2013; AoA Lion King June 2015; AoA Nemo June 2016; AoA LK June 2018

Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
CinderAbby

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you everyone for your words and pixies. I've only had my car for 3 years and it's only a 2012 so I'd hate to get rid of it completely. I do love it. The 10 grand seemed high to me as well but as I said, the owner can't (and doesn't want to) do anything to it so I'm not so sure how "hard" he tried to price it out. He was also saying"it's a 6 YO car, it should still be under warranty, go to a dealership" etc.

The service writer I normally talk to (when the owner doesn't get involved - and isn't at the counter) did say he was being quoted as low as 5 for the calls he made but then the owner got involved and he had to step back. I have hope that it will come in less with what everyone here is telling me.

As for Lenny, being a guy, he said it was my fault as I was attempting to pass a guy and I revved the engine too much or something like that. I know how to pass people, I've been driving since I was 16. I point blank told him he's not helping any by laying blame. I already have enough stress. I'M the one out a car, not him I'M the one who has known for months this extra time at work was coming and I have to figure out how to be there, not him, I'M the one who has to deal with phone calls and paperwork and who knows what else, not him, I'M the one that has to figure out how to pay for it, not him. Standing there saying I'M at fault is just ticking me off.

I'm not nearly as aggravated now as I was yesterday and this morning. Like I said, I'm hopeful the price will be far lower than 10 grand which is helping my sanity and before I look into the rental company, I'm going to call the dealership on Monday afternoon and see if they do anything like that for people. Mom goes from being unreasonable/uncooperative to being reasonable/helpful. She let me use her car today for errands, I can take it to work at the station tomorrow and on Monday, as long as I get up early to get her to work for 5:45 am and then get it back to her so she can get home for 2:30, she'll let me take it to work then as well. Once at the town hall on Monday I'll find out exactly what hours I'll need to work so I'll be able to better plan and as I said, I'll call the dealership too to see if they have loaners/rentals. I just don't like the unknowns and I've come to accept the fact that things are going to remain unknown for the time being so getting aggravated and upset isn't accomplishing anything except making me feel lousy.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 10-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
Pris

Post Thanks / Like
I seem to recall that you live in a small town, but are there any reliable and trustworthy mechanics in the area? Often the smaller businesses are much more reasonable and willing to work with you than the bigger companies (especially the dealerships). Good luck with all your decision making.

My Countdown Counting down to: Westbound Panama Canal
Wondering through the Panama Canal
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsApril 2018 Wonder thru Panama Canal~Oct. 2016 POFQ~June 2016 Wonder to Alaska~April 2016 POFQ~Feb. 2016 POR/Magic/POFQ~Nov. 2015 POFQ~June 2015 Magic to Norway~May 2015 POFQ~March 2015 POFQ~Dec. 2014 POR~Sept. 2014 CSR~March 2014 POR~March 2013 POR~June 2011 WONDER to ALASKA~March 2011 POR~June 2010 GF/POLYNESIAN~ June 2009 MAGIC ~ March 2008 POP/WONDER/POFQ ~ Oct. 2007 POP ~ June 2007 CBR ~ March 2007 POP/POFQ ~ June 2006 POP ~ Dec. 2005 POFQ ~ July 2005 POR ~ Jan 2005 POP ~ July 2004 POR ~ Jan. 2004 CBR ~ June 2003 POFQ ~ March 2003 POFQ ~ March 2002 Courtyard ~ Dec. 2001 WL ~ July 2001 ASMU ~ March 2001 POR ~ July 2000 SWAN ~ July 1998 DxL ~ July 1992 DxL ~ May 1989 off site ~ Dec. 1976 Honeymoon off site

Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
GingerJ
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Navigator

Post Thanks / Like
Darlene! Glad you're feeling a little better.
I KNOW there's a solution that doesn't cost $10K. Best wishes.
My Previous TripsWDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016