How did you find the boards? - Page 2 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
DMA
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like
I was doing some online research for our trip in 2004 and came across the Passporter forums. What a wealth of information! That led to me purchasing my first Passsporter book.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #17
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
I started at the DIS boards and hated it. I stayed away from disney boards for a while then was looking for some WDW info and came across the PP site. I signed up to the forums....expecting the worse like I found at DIS boards. I was very pleasantly surprised by all the great people here. We didn't always agree but we could respectfully disagree without hate, discontent and name calling. I have been here since 2010 and am sad to see it go but I've signed up to the facebook page and revral's new site.
I think you just hit the nail on the head about what's made this site different from so many others.

Relaxing on board the Magic. The trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic has started!
My Countdown Counting down to: Dinner out with friends
7 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 13 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #18
KMB733
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
I had purchased a copy of the book at Borders when they were closing. My mom and I were planning a trip for the following year and while reading the book, I found the address for the website, which led me to the message boards.
37 days, 0 hours, 32 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011, WDW Dec 2014

Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #19
Pris

Post Thanks / Like
My first Disney book was Rita Aero's book and I frequented that website for a while. I then found the PP book and the rest is history. I've been here ever since. Every time anyone ever asked me for Disney advice, I always recommended this site as the best go to out there. This family has always been so informative and friendly.

My Countdown Counting down to: Westbound Panama Canal
Wondering through the Panama Canal
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsApril 2018 Wonder thru Panama Canal~Oct. 2016 POFQ~June 2016 Wonder to Alaska~April 2016 POFQ~Feb. 2016 POR/Magic/POFQ~Nov. 2015 POFQ~June 2015 Magic to Norway~May 2015 POFQ~March 2015 POFQ~Dec. 2014 POR~Sept. 2014 CSR~March 2014 POR~March 2013 POR~June 2011 WONDER to ALASKA~March 2011 POR~June 2010 GF/POLYNESIAN~ June 2009 MAGIC ~ March 2008 POP/WONDER/POFQ ~ Oct. 2007 POP ~ June 2007 CBR ~ March 2007 POP/POFQ ~ June 2006 POP ~ Dec. 2005 POFQ ~ July 2005 POR ~ Jan 2005 POP ~ July 2004 POR ~ Jan. 2004 CBR ~ June 2003 POFQ ~ March 2003 POFQ ~ March 2002 Courtyard ~ Dec. 2001 WL ~ July 2001 ASMU ~ March 2001 POR ~ July 2000 SWAN ~ July 1998 DxL ~ July 1992 DxL ~ May 1989 off site ~ Dec. 1976 Honeymoon off site

Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #20
Her Dotness

Post Thanks / Like
Unhappy PassPorter, we’ll REALLY miss you!

I, too, bought the book, finding it far better than the more widely known guides to Disney World—take that Birnbaum’s and Unofficial!

We used the PassPorter spiral to plan our 2010 trip and had a marvelous time. It wasn’t until after our return home that I discovered mention in it of this site. Signed up and felt I’d found a second Disney home.

A few years later, after much playful nagging wore him down, DH His Drewness became a PPer himself.

So much valuable learning acquired here, more than I can begin to recall. For instance, I don’t know that we’d ever have gotten into DVC without the advice and encouragement of PP owners.

Really, these boards have been more of a Disney all-purpose guide and source of friendships than I envisioned upon first sign-on. In a way, the site became a friend, too. Luvs ya, PassPorter, and all who’ve made it the wonderful forum it’s been.
My Previous TripsWDW 10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #21
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Post Thanks / Like
I think it was.... I was reading on the old newsfeed group r.a.d.p and someone mentioned it....maybe Dave Marx. I came right in and signed up. We were starting to plan our trip to WDW with our kids for the first time and looking for information.

Interesting how the book was first contact with Passporter for most. I loved that first Passporter book back in 1999. It was different from the later ones.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum

Last edited by HiddenMickey; 11-12-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
chezp
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Dotness View Post
So much valuable learning acquired here, more than I can begin to recall. For instance, I don’t know that we’d ever have gotten into DVC without the advice and encouragement of PP owners.
Yes, us DVC owners are good at encouraging more to join our ranks. We're always told at DVC gatherings on board the cruises that we are some of their best sales reps!

Quote:
Really, these boards have been more of a Disney all-purpose guide and source of friendships than I envisioned upon first sign-on. In a way, the site became a friend, too. Luvs ya, PassPorter, and all who’ve made it the wonderful forum it’s been.
So beautifully put!

Relaxing on board the Magic. The trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic has started!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 13 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #23
Sweetpeama
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like
Back in the Spring of 2009 my mom mentioned to me that we would be going to Disney World during my dad's winter layoff/slow down from his road construction job (He was a mechanic for an asphalt crew that traveled all over MT so while he was one of the few that worked when the snow would hit and they could no longer pave he could take a week of vacation time) generally from early/mid November to late February/early March and to make sure I was not pregnant. (My parents, sister, brother, sister in law and niece had gone in late November 2004 but my husband and I were unable to go as I was too far in my pregnancy with my older daughter to be allowed to travel). Originally the plan was for my parents, my girls, myself and possible either brother or sister in law and nephew to drive down in my parents mini van and for the rest of the group to fly due to school and work schedules but they were able to get a great deal on the airfare in July.
Being that we had internet that was SBTDU (Slightly Better than Dial Up) at the time and I wanted to have some idea of what rides we might want to do I headed to my local library. I found a few books but not too many. One of them was the unoffficial guide and the other one was the barnum's guide. The former one I liked well enough and the 2nd one I thought quite talking to me like I am a 2 year old. Being that only able to check out the book for a month and renew it once for up to 2 weeks I decided I wanted something I could have and make notes in or at least use a highlighter (I am a bit sad because I learned pricing highlighters out on the walmart website that there is a 10 color pack and I only have 8. I want those extra 2 colors) so it was off to my local Barnes and Noble. Not only did I find the unofficial guide I learned that there were other books so it was grab the book by a Kim somebody (fine if you wanted some ideas off property or wanted to know about the now closed Nikalodian Suites-just reading the discription of that I went cold day in H E double hockey sticks before I stay there-motel 6 looks better) and the Passporter Guide (2009). I foun d the boards through the book but was also a member of a Disney Group on a mommy forum and did some reading but never read on Disboards. The mommy forum group I have found to be a bit elitist ( If you have children in strollers you are going to be miserable if you don't stay at a monorail resort unless you get on a thread that the discussion is how do you afford to go to Disney every year than you get called out if you mention that for your family which includes a special needs child who does not sleep sharing a sleeping space with anyone nor does not do well waiting in lines so we would need a room that would allow that particular child to have her own sleeping space. ( As far as I know that means POR, CBR (using the trundle bed)-child is currently 4'9" at 11 years old and what I have heard is those are not designed for anyone over 5' so unless we can go in the next couple of years they are out, Cabins at FW (price wise those are in line with a deluxe), AKL or WL (hope you get a bunk bed room) again deluxe prices or staying in one of the value family suites. So I priced it out with staying for 9 nights and getting hopper tickets with the dining plan, airfare from MT in the main cabin, luggage fees for l bag each in both directions, MM, travel insurance ( using Disney Website pricing), sovineers, tips, meals while traveling, an misc. I got the this is supposed to be how do you do Disney on a budget not what would your dream trip be and that basically you should either stay off property and just do 1 counter service meal a day in the parks or stay in a single room ( no family suite because you are only a family of 4) and use only the quick service dining plan, no more than $30 per kid for souvineers because that is all one other parent who's kids get to go every year get ( excuse me mine have not been in almost 9 years and due to the debt incurred caring for our youngest during those early years we are looking at another 2-3 years before we get that paid off and the money saved for a trip so we are looking at 1 maybe 2 trips before my almost 14 year old graduates from university unless we get a knock on the door with a big check (In which case it is going to be as soon as the checks are cleared at least a long weekend to DLR as we could catch a 6 am flight our time and land before noon our time even with more than a 35-40 minute layover ( I don't do well with that tight of a schedule and would be stressed out so not booking that short of a layover) and a trip to WDW as soon as our schedule would allow us at least 8 days which would include our travel days as to there we catch the same 6 am flight but don't even land until 2 pm our time not to mention getting to the resort via ME (In 2010 it ended up being close to 4:30 our time before we got to our room, unpacked our carry on luggage and headed to the food court close to 5 our time ( we had some breakfast in the airport about 8-8:30 our time and were extremely hungry)). If I have that kind of finances it is going to be a 2 bedroom club level suite at either AKL or GF for this mama and trust me the souvineers budget will be more than $125 each (In actuality I was figuring $150 per kid and the rest for me and DH) and we are more in likely going to be flying first class not coach.
While I have found the Disboards to be a bit more blunt than here at least they are not that bad and a few of the groups are actually fairly nice though not as nice as here. At least I don't get attacked for planning a budget trip that won't leave my family miserable because no one is getting any sleep until one member of the family reaches the point of utter exhaustion and finally crashes hard (in which case the rest of us better cancel any plans and get some rest as well). In truth I put the prices down to show that not everyone has the option of a budget airline to use and that airfare is expensive from some parts of the country.
My Countdown Counting down to: Leaving For Our First Trip to WDW
My Previous TripsDLR Dec 1987, DLR Mar 1995, WDW-CBR Jan 2010

Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
DyanKJ130
Go Red Sox!! :D
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Post Thanks / Like
From a web search in 2002 or so. I lurked for about 2 years and finally joined in 2004 after I purchased the guide book.

My Countdown Counting down to: Bagman Days
Remembering Bill Myers: A great man; a true friend
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsContemporary September 2018, CSR/ASSports December 2017, OKW July 2017, Swan December 2016/January 2017, Pop September 2016, AKL July 2016, CSR December 2015, CSR BL July 2015, CSR/AKL February 2015, Swan December 2014, POR July 2014, WL CL September 2013, CSR BL July 2013, SSR December 2012, ASMo September/October 2012, CSR August 2011, SSR February 2010, CSR December 2008/January 2009, DLR (Dolphin's Cove Resort) February 2008, CBR September 2007, CSR August 2006, POR December 2005, WL June/July 2004, POR August 2002, Dixie Landings August 2000, Off-site February 1999, DLR March 1988, DLR March 1986, Golf Resort (now SOG) October 1979

Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #25
MayraLR

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
I think it was browsing the internet after coming back from a trip to WDW. I stumbled upon these boards and Disboards, and decided to join both. I ended loving these, so I became a regular here. And I'm glad I did because I have met some incredible people (virtually and in person).

My 2017 trip - Home is Where the Mouse Is COMPLETE
My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing through the Caribbean on the Freedom
Relaxing on my cruise
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 2006 - WDW / offsite; May 2008 - WDW, SW, US, IOA / offsite; May 2011 - WDW / off-site; June 2012 - WDW / POR; June 2014 - WDW / AKL ~ Kidani Village; June 2017 - WDW / POR

Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #26
Lumieregirl
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
I was planning my 2005 honeymoon on a Disney Cruise and was terrified of cruising. I googled and landed here and have been here ever since. Passporters changed my terror into excitement, and now cruising is my favorite travel option.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #27
chezp
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumieregirl View Post
I was planning my 2005 honeymoon on a Disney Cruise and was terrified of cruising. I googled and landed here and have been here ever since. Passporters changed my terror into excitement, and now cruising is my favorite travel option.
What a wonderful story!

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #28
RogerRabbit
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Post Thanks / Like
I had a coworker that had a couple of PP books and said how much they helped. When we decided we were going to go, this was the first site I came to. I hadn't even purchased the book yet. I just wanted to start reading some opinions on things we wanted to do, and places we wanted to stay. After lurking for a bit, I started posting questions and answering a few things along the way. Got my book, and the rest is history.

Michael

Old Today, 08:36 PM   #29
minniemagic
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
I found a passporter book in my local library. I looked up the website from the book and then joined. Since then, I have purchased many books. I'm a little old fashioned and still love the books (especially the ones with the pockets).

Many trips to WDW, too many to list. Going back in June 2017!
My PassPorter Bookshelf