I'm confused regarding insurance's deductibles and maximum out of pocket payments - Page 2 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Family Room: Family and Friends
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
CinderAbby
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Not quite, CinderAbby. What she is saying is that - If Lenny hits the $5000 personal maximum, HE will pay nothing else for the rest of the year. If Lenny hits the $10000 family maximum, YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY pays nothing else for the rest of the year.
See, this is where I'm confused. If Lenny hits $5000 and doesn't have to pay any more, then how could he possibly hit the $10,000 mark for the entire family? Doesn't that mean I'd have to pay $5000 in expenses that I shouldn't be paying for him?

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music

Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
Straitlover
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
Be sure to double check the co-pay policy for your insurance. My insurance, even when I meet the Max OOP, I still have to pay co-pays. I know that doesn't seem right when it is Max OOP, but that's the rules. I found that out in 2014 when I had my breast cancer situation. I met the max OOP, but I still had to pay the co-pay at every doctor visit. Luckily it was only I think 3 visits if memory serves (one $60 and two $70's) since it was December when I hit the max OOP.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
JoanneS

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAbby View Post
See, this is where I'm confused. If Lenny hits $5000 and doesn't have to pay any more, then how could he possibly hit the $10,000 mark for the entire family? Doesn't that mean I'd have to pay $5000 in expenses that I shouldn't be paying for him?
If Lenny hits the 5000 max, then whatever expenses past that he will pay a percentage of the balance until he hits $10000. If that happens, then the whole family is good. If Lenny hits the 5000 max and is cured, then you and Abby will need to have $5000 in cost before the whole family is covered 100%. That's how I understand it.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Its all about the Food and Wine
Tasting it All
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports WDW - Jan. 2015, Grand Floridian WDW - Dec. 2015, Beach Club Resort

Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #19
Huntermom
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Darlene,

You have got to talk to the HR department if through a company or talk to someone at the insurance company who knows what they are talking about.

When I hit my out of pocket max with my ex's great policy, I did not have to pay anything more for doctor's visits or procedures. I still paid my prescription copays.

With my last year's policy even though I had a low deductible and maximum, so much was not counted by the insurance company, I ended up paying more altogether, And the cost difference was minimal (better policy was through employment, stinky one was individual.)

To me the good news is most hospitals will work with you to pay bills. And many have funds that will help if you are unable to even pay minimal amounts.

One of the things that surprised me was I have met people who have had similar health issues to mine, did not have insurance and yet got the same care (and often more because I considered the cost where they did not).

It's a horrible mess. If this is the insurance through Home Depot, talk to someone in the corporate HR department. The other thing that plays into employer based coverage in the state the insurance contract is in. Your in MA so coverage should be great, if you get HOme Depot coverage through Tennessee, it may notbe as good.

Charlie

Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #20
xpdchief
Community Rank: Sightseer

Post Thanks / Like
CinderAbby, Please check with Home Depot's HR. Some employment based plans use healthcare networks. If that is the case, anytime you seek medical care within the network you pay only a co-pay, which counts towards your annual deductible.
If you seek care outside of the network, you will pay a percentage of the bill (in my case 20%). All plans are different. These payments also count towards your annual deductible.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #21
Haimia
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, Darlene, please talk to Home Depot's HR department. Insurance policies vary so much as you can see from the above posts. It is best to discuss with someone YOUR policy rather than these general experiences so you know what to truly expect!

2016 Scrapbooking Goal - 125 - actual 29
2015 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 75
2014 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 74
2013 Scrapbooking Goal - 100 - actual 62
My Previous Trips11/09 Pop Century, 5/09 Pop Century, 12/08 Pop Century, and a few more prior in last 10-12 years