traveling with an 8 and 6 year old - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
BethC
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
traveling with an 8 and 6 year old

Has anyone traveled with an 8 and 6 year old? We are going in Oct. and I was wondering if I should plan on stroller money. Do you think sitting down for B/L/D plus the parades would be enough rest?

Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Diz
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Re: traveling with an 8 and 6 year old

When my boys were 8 and 6, they didn't use a stroller. You couldn't stop them from running all over Disney! They loved it so much, they always wanted to be on the go.

I think this will be one of the times when you'll have to go with the flow and wait to see how they respond each day. It will have more to do, I think, with how much sleep they get. We were always late to bed - around 12 or 1 am, but we let the boys sleep in until 8 or 9, we'd get breakfast out and then head to the parks and were there from about 12 noon until they closed - and back then during the summer, they closed at midnight.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
IdahoDisneyMom
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like

DD was almost 6 when we went in Dec. The only time we rented a stroller was when we wandered World Showcase one night. It had been a full day, and DH and I just wanted to soak in the atmosphere. DD kicked back in the stroller, and actually slept through Illuminations!
Hope this helps,
Stephanie

Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Laughaholic
Community Rank: Scout

Post Thanks / Like

You may just need it when they get tired, just go with the flow, and if they start complaining, go rent one!

Old 07-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Tink and co.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think you'd need one. My kids are 6 and 9, and didn't have any problems. In fact, we haven't used a stroller since our youngest was 4. It's too exciting to sit still!

Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
jakenjess
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like

We rented a stroller for our 7 and 9 year olds on our last trip! (Granted they're both small for their ages!) But I find it's worth it, especially if it's really hot, like it was in June. It keeps them out of the beating sun and saves their energy. We also can move faster that way, when we're hurrying to get somewhere. It seems we're always cutting those ADRs very close! My DS tends to be a dawdler, so the stroller helps keep the peace. I also like having someplace to stow our stuff. We'll probably rent again in September.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
debsta922
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 4

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on your kids. If they are high energy types then you probably won't need a stroller. I would just plan some breaks throughout the day. If your concerned about budgeting money, then I would factor in stroller rentals for the days that you plan spending long days at the park, and then if you don't need the stroller you'll have some extra cash... it's better then coming up short.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
Mitzi&Kevin
Community Rank: Adventurer

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest DS was 6 when we went last year. I took his umbrella stroller with us just in case. I ended up having to rent a stroller 1 day (forgot to grab the one I brought). It was when we were at Epcot. He did not enjoy walking around all the countries. Other than that day he walked or ran in some cases the rest of the time. Have a great time on your vacation.

Mitzi

Old 07-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
RobDVC
Facebook Addict
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Post Thanks / Like

Our boys were 7&5 when we went last year, and we used an umbrella stroller for DS5... he napped in it a few times.
We wound up renting a stroller for DS7 on one of our Epcot days, but he was fine every other day.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
tinalouwho
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like

We rented a double stroller for our 1 yo and our extra stuff but the 8 and 6 yo ended up using it. We stayed at the parks ALL day and night and they eventually couldn't walk anymore (and these are 2 kids that are super active in sports and TKD). It was great for me because it was easier to keep track of them. No worries about them running off

Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
HiddenMickey
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Post Thanks / Like

My kids were 8 and 6 on one of our trips. No strollers were required for them on that trip. Just make sure you break up your day so that you are constantly walking from attraction to attraction. Do shows, do a sit-down lunch, eat a snack on a bench or something when they start to lag.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:33 AM   #12
paradox
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like

We took my DD at age 4,6 and 8. We didn't use a stroller any time. We took lots of sit down breaks, and brought extra clothes so that she could play in the water when she got too hot. We didn't have any trouble with her getting tired, just hungry. She was so excited the first time that she wouldn't eat before we got to the parks, and turned into a little monster when she rumbly in her tumbly.(She's a big Pooh fan)

Old 07-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #13
loobyoxlip
Community Rank: Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, my boys are now 9 and 6. Jalen used a stroller when he was 5, and he really needed it a few times. At 6 he declared he was 'too old' for a stroller and he never did need one. Have fun

Old 07-23-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
DISNEYGOOF
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like

We did when our boys were that age. We were able to cover so much more ground with a double stroller. They used them part of the time, we also used them for stuff. If you rent a stroller and hop to another park, you can show your receipt at the next park and you won't have to pay for another stroller.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #15
Mickey4Pres
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like

I let everyone (including my DH) that when we went and the girls were 5 & 7, we would be renting strollers. It was August and we were not staying on property (my dad lives about 2 hours away so, we always stay with him - except this year we will finally be able to stay on property! I'm too old to be spending all day in the parks and then drive 2 hours back!!) so we didn't have the luxury of taking a mid day break. We are also commando style tourists and we would go from about 1 hour after the parks opened until they closed, which was midnight. Their little legs and feet would not have held up if we did not use the strollers, plus I did not want my step daughter's first Disney experience to involve pain!!