How Difficult is it to swap another Vacation Club for DVC through RCI? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Question How Difficult is it to swap another Vacation Club for DVC through RCI?

I guess this could be posted under the DVC forum, but it applies to those of us who are not in DVC, so I thought I would post here. Feel free to move if need be.

We are in a vacation club that is affiliated with RCI. We were excited to see that DVC had recently become affiliated as well, as that now theoritically gives us the option of staying at a DVC unit.

But ... how hard is it to do a swap through RCI? I'm talking about the availability of a DVC resort in general, not the actual procedure. How often do DVC resorts become available? And what if the only one available is not at your preferred resort? Have you gone ahead and taken whatever was out there?

We've never done a swap through RCI because I don't think it fits well with our travel requirements. From what I understand, you have to make your own vacation club reservation first, then give it to RCI. And you then tell RCI your preferences. Our problem is, with dh's job we can't just go anytime we want to, we have to go on certain dates because of the way he has to schedule his vacation days on a department-wide calendar. So we don't have the luxury of choosing. Also, we really love WL. So the VWL would be perfect! But what if one doesn't come available? Or what if we take another resort, but VWL comes up later - could we then switch or will we be stuck with the resort we already chose? And then, what if nothing comes up through RCI that we could use - we can't get our original vacation club reservation back, right?

I would love to try this option, but am still holding back because of these unknowns. Thanks for any help you can offer.
My Previous Trips1975 - offsite; 1979 - offsite; 1983 - offsite; 1985 - offsite; 1988 - Days Inn Suites; 1992 - Days Inn Suites; 1994 - Days Inn Suites; 1996 - Caribbean Beach - Aruba; 1999 - Fort Wilderness - tent; 2000 - Fort Wilderness - cabin; 2000 - offsite (CM sister's apartment); 2005 - Pop Century - 70's; 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - lobby; 2009 - All-Star Sports - Baseball
christiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

We own timeshares in Hawaii, San Diego, and Moorea and use RCI frequently. I just got two 1-bedroom exchanges at BWV and VWL for us and our DS & DDIL beginning December 13. The biggest problem I had involved "trading power". I needed to exchange my 2-bedroom unit for a 1-bedroom at WDW. My 1-bedroom Maui timeshare will only net me a Studio at WDW. What you own and where is critical. And there were not many units available for exchange -- most were for rent through RCI. Obviously, someone has had to deposit their time in order for me to get it. I think that DVC is fairly new in RCI, so I expect the numbers of available weeks for exchange to increase over time.

If you are not planning to go to WDW until 2011, you should start using the RCI site to search beginning in the second half of next year. The available weeks I saw were not for far out in the future. Take a look yourself to get familiar with the site.

Remember that with RCI you deposit your time (after getting a reservation if your resort is "floating time"; take any week, you don't care when it is if it is just for deposit), and then you have a three-year window to use it -- one year prior through two years after the start date of the week you deposited. This much leeway shoud cover your restricted time-frame. But, yes, if you do not get an exchange, you do not get your week back (someone else may have taken it), but you have time to try again.

Good luck!

Jeff & LeAnne 6th Anniversary Trip to Kauai/Hurricane Ike Evacuation

Carol
My Countdown Counting down to: Our next trip to WDW with Jeff and LeAnne
Landing in Orlando
My Previous TripsApr 1975 - Ft Wilderness Campground * Mar 1992 - Sheraton Vistana * Jan 2006 - Sheraton Vistana Villages * Sep 2007 - Contemporary/Polynesian * Dec 2009 - The Villas at Wilderness Lodge

Last edited by carolinwa; 06-07-2009 at 09:33 PM..
carolinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
I agree with the above. You need to determine whether you have much trade-in power with your timeshare. And you will have to be pretty flexible about times, which sounds like a problem for your family.

Good luck!

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

I have tried to talk to them before but they weren't very helpful. Basically all I could find out was that I would need to swap a similar-sized accomodation at a resort that offered similar amenities. In other words, like for like.

I had forgotten about having so long to be in the RCI system, though. That helps, as you said, if it didn't work out for us to find a DVC resort, then we could just make a regular reservation for Wilderness Lodge that year, and pick a different resort for our trip the next summer.

Thanks for your input!
My Previous Trips1975 - offsite; 1979 - offsite; 1983 - offsite; 1985 - offsite; 1988 - Days Inn Suites; 1992 - Days Inn Suites; 1994 - Days Inn Suites; 1996 - Caribbean Beach - Aruba; 1999 - Fort Wilderness - tent; 2000 - Fort Wilderness - cabin; 2000 - offsite (CM sister's apartment); 2005 - Pop Century - 70's; 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - lobby; 2009 - All-Star Sports - Baseball
christiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

Worked great with SVC

We own a Shell Vacations Club Timeshare in Hawaii and swapped a 1 bedroom for a 1 bedroom at BWV in early December. It was not difficult but SVC is also one of the trades within DVC.
lwellen is offline   Reply With Quote