AofA and Pop?? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

AofA and Pop??

As everyone knows, AofA was originally supposed to be the second phase of Pop, connected by the Generation Gap bridge. Anyone know if the bridge is staying? And can guests go from one resort to the other?

I write women's fiction and contemporary romance! www.stephaniehaefnerthewriter.com

And visit my Disney Blog too!
My Countdown Counting down to: Disneyland was fun, but we NEED some WDW!!
59 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes
My Previous Trips7/89- DL, 6/00- WDW Off Property, 12/05- ASMo, 1/07- Pop, 5/07- AS Sp, 10/08- POFQ, 10/09- Pop, 4/10- CSR, 12/10- ASMu, 3/11- ASMo, 11/12- AofA, 8/13- DLR, Upcoming trip: 9/14- ASMu.
SARH7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Good question? I too have been wondering this!

Check out my Pre-Trip Report for our 9/18-9/23/12 trip here:

http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post3907349

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPop Century-August 2010, May 2011
emvenable77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

.....(waving arms vigorously)....hey!! I want to know too!!! Actually...when POP was supposed to be a "two sided" resort....I think that everyone that would have gone there...would likely be content to stay in whatever section / side that their room was at. Now that there is a brand new resort next to POP....don't you think that would attract "pool hoppers"....at least from the POP side...if the bridge was open? From what I saw in photos...and aerial shots...the main pool at AofA seems to be one with a "zero entry" feature.

Same scenario might also apply to the food court and gift shop......

...also...the million billion dollar question: Will there be separate or shared buses? Reason I brought that up is that my wife heard through the Cafe Mom grapevine that there is to be a shared bus scenario for POP / AofA...during "non-peak" hours. (and I can't imagine what "non-peak" is at WDW )

My Countdown Counting down to: ....something 'different' in 2014
My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP
JerseyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
There was a media event for AoA recently. I read this a few days ago on wdwinfo.com: "The pool is enclosed and will require your Key to the World Card to enter the pool area. The bridge will be open to Disney’s Pop Century if you would like to stroll over there."

A Sneak Peek at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort | The DIS Unplugged Disney Blog
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsASP 2004--ASM 2008-- CSR 2010--2011 POP--POFQ 2012
xrosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrosario View Post
There was a media event for AoA recently. I read this a few days ago on wdwinfo.com: "The pool is enclosed and will require your Key to the World Card to enter the pool area. The bridge will be open to Disney’s Pop Century if you would like to stroll over there."

A Sneak Peek at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort | The DIS Unplugged Disney Blog

......wondering ......just how many other WDW resorts have a fenced off pool?

....regarding the bridge....if they want to shoo-away curiosity seekers...they could always place a Gandalf looking figure on the bridge and have him repeatedly say: "None...Shall...Passs!!!!!"

....but they wouldn't do that...because then how would you get to the Aof A gift shop and spend money?

My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I'm not surprised about the pool. The main pool at AoA is going to be the largest resort pool on property, complete with underwater sound system, so I suspect guests at Pop (myself included!) would be tempted to pool hop. You must show a KTTW card to enter Stormalong Bay at Yacht and Beach Club also, but that's the only one I can think of right now.

I'm curious about the buses as well. DS and I will be at Pop from 5/31-6/5, so I will find out firsthand.
My Previous TripsApril 2014 - Disney Fantasy, March 2014 - AoA, November 2013 - CSR, October 2013 - BWI, August 2013 - AoA, March 2013 - BWI, February 2013 - Disney Dream, October 2012 - Dolphin, September 2012 - POFQ, June 2012 - Pop, March 2012 - CBR, October 2011 - BCV, September 2011 - AKL, June 2011 - Pop, May 2011- Yacht Club, January 2011 - POFQ, December 2010 - Swan, October 2010 - BWI & CSR, September 2010 - GF, May 2010 - Poly, December 2009 - WL, May 2009 - CBR, May 2009 - Disney's HHI, March 2009 - CR, December 2008 - Disney's HHI, December 2008 - CR, August 2008 - AS Sports, March 2008 - POR, July 1999 - Off-property, Several childhood trips - Off-property
annc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmmmm. I understand the fact that it is the biggest pool on Disney property and zero entry is pretty cool too. Hearing Crush when you go underwater could also have some novelty to it, but I really question whether all those things make it so appealing that Pop guests would really walk all the way over to it from the bridge to use it. I can imagine quite a bit of inconvenience AofA guests will have navigating the gates too. i.e. you can't just walk up to the pool, you have to walk around the fence until you find a gate, card readers break down sometimes (especially when wet!) running back to the room for something you forgot becomes more of a hassle, etc.

I just really wonder if the features of this pool are really that much of a big deal to warrant the gate, and the additional hassle which could lead to guest dissatisfaction,

Time will tell!

Brent

My Countdown Counting down to: Countdown to Mid May Trip!!!
My Previous TripsWDW Oct 21 - 26, 2006 WDW Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2007 WDW August 23 - Sept 1, 2008 WDW August 27 - Sept 5, 2009 WDW Jan 27 - Feb 1, 2009, 1st Anniversary Trip WDW Aug 23 - Sept 3, 2010
Disdadnmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc98 View Post
I'm not surprised about the pool. The main pool at AoA is going to be the largest resort pool on property, complete with underwater sound system, so I suspect guests at Pop (myself included!) would be tempted to pool hop. You must show a KTTW card to enter Stormalong Bay at Yacht and Beach Club also, but that's the only one I can think of right now.

I'm curious about the buses as well. DS and I will be at Pop from 5/31-6/5, so I will find out firsthand.
....I've really never been tempted to "pool hop" before....but....come August 25th I'll be at POP...and my brother, SIL, and their 3 kids will be at AofA in the Lion King suites....so...I wonder if we can get "invited" as their guests?

(not that I really want to...seriously...being that we're going to be poolside in one of the POP 60's building...and I'm not sure that I'd want to walk all the way over there just to swim)

.....but I have always wondered about "pool security"...because...basically...anyone can board a bus at DtD....head to a resort...and get access to the pool...swim for the day...and leave when they feel they are good and ready.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Most of the pools on Disney Property have a no "visitors" policy. The exception being if you are a DVC member there are some pools you can legally hop to. The only other pool that you have to show your room key at is Beach/Yacht Club. I've visited a bunch of pools to take pictures or grab a drink at the pool bar when not staying at the resort, but have never actually used the pool.

ilovedisney247 - Heather PassPorter Guide for The Backyard
Guide for Making More Magic
Guide for Sharing the Magic
My Countdown Counting down to: Leap 2012
24 Hours!
My Previous TripsWDW 1985 off property, WDW 1987 Contemporary, WDW 1989 Poly, WDW Sept. 2006 Pop, WDW Sept. 2007 CBR WDW Aug 2008 ASMu Dec 2008 SSR, May 2009 SSR, June 2009 SSR/VWL, Oct 2009 AKVC, Dec 2009 AKV, June 2010 SSR, Oct 2010 BWV, Nov 2010 CR, Dec 2010 ASp, April 2011 AKVC, June 2011 SSR/ASM, July 2011, ASp, Oct 2011 AKVC, Dec 2011 VGC
ilovedisney247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 6
The Ol' Man Island at Port Orleans has card readers that are sometimes in use. Some pools have used varying colored wrist bands. I believe there are other pools that have fences.

Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian have had fenced pools for years. Fenced pools allow security to lock down a pool if a crime occurs, allows staff to lock down a pool for safety issues, and keeps people from off site from visiting.

One gets free parking at the hotels and can walk right in and use the pools for free instead of the plunge. I resort hop doing research and I can hang out in the $250 plus a night hotel's lobby without paying one penny. What better way to have a fun vacation than going to Fort Wilderness for some hiking and visit the playground, head over to the pool at AofA and sunbathe while the kids have fun, and finish with a movie behind Trout Pass Bar in Wilderness Lodge. All for free and if you are ambitious you might get a free lei at the Polynesian where you can buy Dole Whips and go crash with the kids to watch the cartoons in the lobby.

It is a wise move by Disney.

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

One of the pools at Boardwalk is fenced and requires a card. We weren't pool hopping but would have liked to cut through the area walking from DHS to Epcot. The pool at Vero Beach is also fenced and requires a key card.
A long time ago you could legitimately pool hop everywhere at WDW, although I really don't know anyone who ever did.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Tripsover 25 trips to WDW starting in 1972-some with my family, others just with my spouse have stayed at Old Key West x 3, Vacation Villas x2,POR (was still Dixie Landings then), All Star Sports x3, Vero Beach x2, POP x 5
sk8mom6 is offline   Reply With Quote