What DVC Villa would you choose? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

What DVC Villa would you choose?

My husband and I are planning a trip for our anniversary in June 2013 and we decided we want to rent DVC points and stay at a DVC villa. I've been researching and reading reviews to pick what villa to stay at and am not sure which one to choose.

AKL Villas get great reviews overall but are far away from everything.

Bay Lake Tower doesn't seem to have good reviews (small room, not very clean or updated, unhelpful staff), but the location is prime.

Beach Club/Boardwalk Villas are referred to as dated, with long walks to places, plus they share buses. But the location is great, the nightlife is good, the pools are nice.

And Saratoga Springs/OKW don't seem to stand out for any particular reason.

Anyone care to give me some personal experiences to help me decide? I would love the help

My Countdown Counting down to: December trip to Disney!
evenstar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 1
Our first trip was to AKL and we loved it! It is gorgeous and we loved sitting on the balcony watching the animals. It is removed from everything but that was never a problem. It's just a bus ride.

Our second trip, we stayed at BLT. It is close to everything and you can walk to MK. But it was the worst stay ever. There were bugs on the balcony rendering it unusable. There were bugs in the lobby and the "concierge" didn't know their elbow from a hole in the wall. I was very disappointed especially because this was where we bought into the DVC and this was our 1st stay at our "home" resort.

Our last trip, we stayed at OKW. It is big but has a very laid back island feel. We would stay there again anytime. Staff is friendly and always with a smile. You can tell that there are "regulars" here.

All in all - choose what's important to you. Location, theme, price. It's all good. It's Disney!

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
183 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tinkerbell's Aunt
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
I've stayed in all of them except Bay Lake Towers - and I just visited the rooms there this past month. I'll add one more - Wilderness Lodge. Here are some of my thoughts on the various DVC resorts:

BLT - Location, location, location! The rooms are a little smaller, but if you're in a 1 BR w/ 2 people it is still a lot more space than a regular hotel room. There's also the monorail and one of my favorite perks is the Top of the World Lounge for watching the MK fireworks - of for just relaxing and enjoying the view
Beach Club - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pool and the easy walk into Epcot. I take the boat to DHS and bus to MK or AK. It is one of my favorite locations
Boardwalk - Great restaurants and a nice stroll to Epcot or DHS. It's big, but I love the atmosphere and the entertainment options. Belle Vue Lounge is one of my favorite quiet nooks to have an adult beverage
AKV - If you stay here get a savanna view. There's nothing like sitting on your balcony and watching the animals. Request a room on the second/lobby level if you're in Kidani. The biggest negatives are the location and that Kidani doesn't have much variety in food. You need to walk to Jambo.
Wilderness Lodge - Just stayed there - I love the atmosphere and the boat to the MK is nice. We didn't have any problems with buses and Artist Point is one of my favorite restaurants (along with FFC at Boardwalk)
OKW - biggest rooms, great atmosphere, boat to DTD (one of my favorite boat rides), and Olivia's is a really good restaurant that is rarely busy. It is large so try to get a room near the Hospitality House
SSR - I like the location near DTD - Congress Park is an easy walk - and DTD has some wonderful eating and entertainment options.

I've enjoyed each resort for different reasons. I've been looking at dates in early June and many of the DVC resorts are already booked in certain room categories so if you're staying on points I would book as soon as possible.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW - Summer '72 (Poly), Spring Break '75 (Off site), June '83 (LBV), September '92 (CBR), March '94 (DXL), November '97 (DXL), April '03 (ASM), Nov 19-24 '04 (CBR), Sep 30-Oct 7 '06 (POFQ), Dec 4-11 '07 (SSR), May 3-10 '08 (Pop, BCV, BWV), December 10-17 '08 (SSR), May 1-8 '09 (AKV Kidani/CR/SSR), December 8-15 '09 (OKW/BCV), March 14-19 '10 (BWV), October 18-23 '10 (AKV Jambo), December 15-21 '12 (WL Concierge), May 30-June 8 (BWV/BCV), Oct 29-Nov 5 (BCV) DL - Spring 1965, Spring 1980 DCL - WB PC Cruise May 2008
WDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

OKW is our favorite by far, although I have not tried BLT to date.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 7
Just a word on the location of AKL.....when we stayed there I was surprised at how quickly we got to not only AK but also Epcot and DHS via bus, having heard so often that it is "far removed from all parks but AK" and "I wouldn't stay at AKL without a car". And then came our bus ride to the MK and I understood why people say it is so far out! If you are traveling with small children and will spend much of your time at the MK then I would say that you might want to consider another resort, but IMO AKL doesn't deserve the "too far out" rep it has.

My Countdown Counting down to: A Very Merry Christmas Trip
Ho ho ho -here we go!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW May 1995 ASSports, WDW Oct. 2005 ASMovies, WDW Aug. 2007 Pop, WDW April 2009 WL, WDW Aug. 2010 WL, DCL August 2011 Alaska, WDW April 2012 AKL-Jambo, WDW August 2012 Beach Club, WDW April 2013 AKL- Kidani, August 2013 AKL-Kidani, August 2013 DCL Western Caribbean on the Fantasy, December 2013 WL
HollyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

For two adults, I would go with Boardwalk or Beach Club, mainly for the ability to walk to and from Epcot. If I go to park from morning to mid-afternoon then back to a resort, I really don't feel like taking a bus back to a park for dinner or fireworks. Walking to dinner, Illuminations, or just a snack and stroll at Epcot, though, felt quick and easy.

If you don't expect to spend the vast majority of your time at the parks, though, Animal Kingdom Lodge is a good choice because just wandering around the resort is interesting and the 3 restaurants are among my favorites in all of Walt Disney World.

If Pleasure Island were still worth seeing, I'd recommend Saratoga Springs because it is the closest to Downtown Disney. Unles you intend to go there a few evenings, though, that's not as much of an advantage.

The best choice really depends on how and where you expect to spend your time, and on which DVC resorts are available for rental for your vacation dates. We have been happy with every
resort we've stayed at, so to me any available choice is great.

Happy planning!
My Previous TripsWDW offsite December 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988; DL 1995, 1996; WDW Boardwalk Inn May 1997, January 2000; WDW Boardwalk Villas September 2001; DL Hyatt May 2002; WDW Beach Club/DCL Wonder October 2002; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge October 2004; DL Hyatt August 2005; WDW Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder February 2006; DCL Magic Western Carib. January 2007; WDW Boardwalk Villas October 2007; Animal Kingdom Lodge/DCL Magic Eastern Carib. January 2008; WDW Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach June 2008; DL Grand Californian June 2009; DCL Wonder January 2010; WDW Boardwalk Villas June 2010; WDW Saratoga Springs October 2011; DCL Dream January 2012; DL Grand Californian Villas June 2012; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo November 2012; DCL Magic Mediterranean June 2013; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL Magic February 2014
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

We have stayed with Daughter at WL the most.It is great being close to Mk for the kids. AKL was very beautiful and even though we live in the woods and get to see the woodland animals from deer to bear, seeing the animals at AKL was a real treat, even hubby who's first comment when learning we were going to stay there was who is going to sit and watch animals. HIM. BCV we stayed at and for 2 adults this would be nice the ease in walking to Epcot was great and I enjoyed staying there, but WLV is beautiful and the boat to MK is great with taking kids this is the best fit for us.BLT was the last built and I would of thought that would be great we did try to stay there on last visit but it was full so didnt get to try that one. Now I wonder if it would be a good fit as we have the Grandkids, but wow it is close to MK a walk away.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WL.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

This is very helpful - thank you! I was leaning towards Boardwalk or Beach club because of the closeness of Epcot (we eat at Le Cellier at least 2 times each trip) but I liked the appeal of the animals at AKL and the monorail at BLT. Since it's just the 2 of us, we are super flexible...it's hard to choose just one resort

My Countdown Counting down to: December trip to Disney!
evenstar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

It certainly is hard to pick just one resort. Currently we seem to be booking our trips to do a maximum of 4 nights in 1 resort so we can stay in 2 or 3 and i still have too many candidates. I think you can book wherever has space and there will be reasons to be happy with it

My Countdown Counting down to: Moving back temporarily to Scotland
56 days, 16 hours, 47 minutes
Thomhazel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

We've stayed in quite a few of them, and like each for different reasons:

WL: Older DS's favorite DVC resort. He loves the rustic theming and close proximity to MK.

BC: Stormalong Bay is a wonderful perk here. We love the walking distance to Epcot and DHS.

BWV: Great restaurants and close proximity to Epcot and DHS.

OKW: Laidback theming; quiet retreat from park hustle and bustle; Close walk back to rooms with near building parking

AKLV: Savanna view offers something outside the balcony every minute. Love the dark woods and spicy aromas coming from Boma and Jiko. This one is my favorite.

SSR: Close to building parking; Quiet retreat from parks

Scarfing down Chocolate Extinction at T-Rex
My Countdown Counting down to: Beach time and Mouse Time
39 days, 14 hours, 17 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 2012 Disney Dream and BWV;June 2011 WL and Vero Beach; August 2010 AKLV;April 2010 Disneyland; August 2009 AKLV; April 2009 Disneyland; June 2008 AKLV; December 2007 SSR; June 2007 BCV; June 2006 OKW; June 2005 WL

Last edited by WDWJAMBA; 12-29-2012 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Added SSR info
WDWJAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

We're DVC owners at WL and AKL and we've stayed at all of the DVC resorts. I love the overall theming of WL and to me, the decor and amenities of Kidani Village feel a bit more upscale than some of the other DVC resorts.

When we've been fortunate enough to travel without our kids, we prefer staying at BW or BC villas just due to the location - Epcot is our favorite park to visit and if we visit Jellyrolls we don't have to worry about driving back to a different resort!

Keri Madeira
MEI & Mouse Fan Travel, www.mousefantravel.com

My Countdown Counting down to: Thanksgiving at the Wilderness Lodge!
212 days, 13 hours, 17 minutes
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

For an adults only trip I would choose Boardwalk or Yact/Beach Club. You can't beat being able to walk to the Epcot restaurants and nipping over to France for a frozen libation. DHS is a nice stroll from there too.

If you aren't really much for strolling then VWL would be my second vote because the atmosphere is so lovely and nothing beats the morning boat ride across the lake to MK.

Fun at Jambo House
My Countdown Counting down to: Christmas in a Treehouse
242 days, 1 hours, 17 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR '82, WDW '89, '91, '95. POR'97,DLH'03, DLH'06, OKW Jan. & SSR June '08 VWL March 09, BWV Jan 10, VWL March '11, Branson MO June 2011, DLR Sept 2011, Tree House Adventure & Harry Potter Birthday Bash June 2012! Haunted Mansion holiday DLR Oct 2012, ASM & AKL June 2013, BWV Spring Break 2014

Last edited by Kynna; 12-31-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Kynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
We stayed in Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower and the Beach Club Villas just a couple of weeks ago, and I can honestly say we loved all of them - we didn't have any issues and didn't think any of them were dated at all.

Enjoying boating out on the Broads - the trip report is underway.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: The World Diving Championships
2 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 5 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy. Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

We are DVC owners and always stay at OKW. That is our favorite resort. Second choice would be BC then BWV if we were to choose somewhere other than OKW.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

BWV gets my vote because of easy walk to Epcot / DHS and access to Boardwalk. Kidani is great but you need a car
My Previous Trips2013 BC, 2013 GF, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW, 2012 BWI, 2011 BWI, 2011 BC, 2010 BC, 2010 CSR, 2010 Kidani, 2009 GCV, 2009 BC, 2008 BWV, 2008 Grand Californian, 2008 BC, 2007 BWI, 2007 POFQ, 2007 Grand Californian, 2006 BC, 2006 POR, 2006 WL, 2005 BC, 2005 BWI, 2005 CBR, 2004 CR, 2005 Poly, 2004 GF, 2004 POFQ 2004 Poly, 2003 Poly, 2003 CSR, 2003 POR, 2002 AKL, 2002 GF, 2001 AKL, 2001 Poly, 2000 CBR, 1999 CBR, 1998 ASMo, 1997 ASMu, 1996 ASMu, 1995 ASSp, 1991 Wyndham, 1989 off site, 1985 Off Site
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote