Renting DVC points - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
Question Renting DVC points

I was curious if anyone had rented DVC points and your experience with it and who did you use? I am looking into renting points for my trip in Jan 2014 and I am a little leery about doing this. We have exchanged our timeshare for Disney before. I have looked into the Timeshare store and David's DVC rentals.
But I would like anyones opinions and experiences please who have done this.
Thanks

Celebrating a Year of 40's & a Teenager, PTR-Oct 16-24
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOct 2014-POR Jul 2013-DL/CA Dec 2010-Pop Sep 2009-OKW Oct 2007-SSR Dec 2006- Ft. Wilderness April 2005-Offsite DL-Too many times to count
disneydreamer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

We were lucky to rent DVC points from Daughter and Son in laws friends so we didnt have any issues. I know lots of people do it so I am sure someone will have some good advice on where to look.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WLV-.2014 WLV
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

You have to be very careful about renting points. Its very easy to get scammed. I would only rent points from a reputable company or someone I know.

We are DVC owners and its the same with renting out your points. The owner of the points are responsible for charges not paid for and damages to a room. If I were to rent out my points to someone I could get stuck with a bill. Because of that I would not rent out our points.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I rented from the DVC Rental Store this past October, wonderful, easy experience. We were so happy we are using them again for our trip in February.

My Countdown Counting down to: Boardwalk Villas
My Previous TripsMK October 1987, MK April 2004, MGM April 2005, Epcot April 2006, WDW June 2008, POR February 2009, OKW August 2010. POP September 2011, SSR October 2012, AKV March 2013
pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
I rented DVC points through DISBOARDS-they have a complete section of DVC owners renting points-most have contracts for you to sign-paying through paypal-average points are $12-13-you can go onto sites-select dates-and automatic calculation of points needed.

We had no problems last year staying at Beach Club Villa-problem is you do not get any Disney resort discounts for room or dining. DDP must be made through the owner and paid when reservations taken. You can still ride DME. You also recieve confirmation number to check on line your disney reservations.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW SEPT 2012 BEACH CLUB VILLA WDW SEPT 2010 BEACH CLUB WDW DEC 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW APRIL 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW MAY 2007-CARIBBEAN RESORT WDW AUG 2004ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE WDW JUNE 1997 CARIBBEAN RESORT
mike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
I rented DVC points through DISBOARDS-they have a complete section of DVC owners renting points-most have contracts for you to sign-paying through paypal-average points are $12-13-you can go onto sites-select dates-and automatic calculation of points needed.

We had no problems last year staying at Beach Club Villa-problem is you do not get any Disney resort discounts for room or dining. DDP must be made through the owner and paid when reservations taken. You can still ride DME. You also recieve confirmation number to check on line your disney reservations.
Ok, so basically, you have to pay for the room up front (which I figured) and the DP too, if you want it. You don't pay for it when you arrive at check in? This is good info I needed to know. The downside to doing this is paying it all up front, no paying it out. Thank you so much for your info.

Celebrating a Year of 40's & a Teenager, PTR-Oct 16-24
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOct 2014-POR Jul 2013-DL/CA Dec 2010-Pop Sep 2009-OKW Oct 2007-SSR Dec 2006- Ft. Wilderness April 2005-Offsite DL-Too many times to count
disneydreamer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I just started looking into renting some DVC points myself because if we are unable to get a free dining offer or pin code for our November trip we might rent points and stay at OKW.

I will use David's DVC rentals. His points go for $13 a point and for our dates I would only need 64 points or $832 to stay a week at OKW. The rooms are normally sold to cash customers for $350 a night so being able to get it for $130 a night is a steal.

Even to stay offsite would cost us almost that amount.

So for $832 I can stay in a deluxe resort for a week! Amazing option to have available.

I decided to use David's because his service is established and I have never read any bad reviews of ppl using him and then having a bad experience.

Even if you look on the DVC rental board over on the DISboards, most individuals who are trying to rent out their own points to ppl are renting them out for $12 a point. Unless they are about to expire in the next 60 days then they will drop to $9 or $10 per point. SO, to me, David's is not expensive. And they do all the work for you.
10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista- Adults Only Trip
11/10-11/17/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek- Adults Only Trip
11/2015 Wyndham Bonnet Creek- Family trip
My PassPorter Bookshelf
MsPeggySue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPeggySue911 View Post
I just started looking into renting some DVC points myself because if we are unable to get a free dining offer or pin code for our November trip we might rent points and stay at OKW.

I will use David's DVC rentals. His points go for $13 a point and for our dates I would only need 64 points or $832 to stay a week at OKW. The rooms are normally sold to cash customers for $350 a night so being able to get it for $130 a night is a steal.

Even to stay offsite would cost us almost that amount.

So for $832 I can stay in a deluxe resort for a week! Amazing option to have available.

I decided to use David's because his service is established and I have never read any bad reviews of ppl using him and then having a bad experience.

Even if you look on the DVC rental board over on the DISboards, most individuals who are trying to rent out their own points to ppl are renting them out for $12 a point. Unless they are about to expire in the next 60 days then they will drop to $9 or $10 per point. SO, to me, David's is not expensive. And they do all the work for you.
I think you made a good choice and I would avoid the DISboard rentals. Its worth paying a couple extra dollars per point going through a known company rather than an unknown individual.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote