My strategy for a 2-week trip next year.... - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

My strategy for a 2-week trip next year....

So now that I've been educated on the water parks and more option, it seems to me that we could get a great value in vacation next year by staying 7 nights on property and then perhaps 7 nights in a much cheaper condo. I'd get the WP'n More option and spread out the park days, so that we'd be able to enjoy more Disney time once we moved off-site! plus, we'd finally be inclined to attempt LegoLand and SeaWorld.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
That sounds like a plan.... Another option could be just checking how much the Premium Annual Pass will be, especially if you plan on spending a lot of time at Disney. That might also offer you discounts on Disney resorts. Every time I check out standard tickets (we have totally different ones offered over here in the UK), getting an Annual Pass is always cheaper.

I can thoroughly recommend SeaWorld by the way - we love going there. If you're getting a ticket for that, you might want to consider adding on either Aquatica or Busch Gardens or both.... just some thoughts!

Enjoying formal night on the Magic on our magical Mediterranean vacation - the trip report for our Mediterranean cruise is now underway. The trip report for our weekends in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: A new season of Doctor Who
1 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
with Bailey & Jacky
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
It does sound like a good plan. The only thing I would do differently is this: Stay at the off-site condo first, then move to Disney. That way, you'll have the fun on-site stay to look forward to!

Author of the e-book PassPorter's Disneyland Paris

My Countdown Counting down to: 7-night Med cruise on the Disney Magic!!!
365 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW: 04/2007 (ASMo), 04/2008 (AS, POR, WL), 05/2009 (BCV, AKV - Opening Day!!!, SSR), 03/2010 (BWV, GF Concierge!!!, BLT), 05/2013 (POFQ, POP); DCL: 04/2008 (Wonder, Bahamas), 04/2009 (Magic, Western Caribbean), 08/2010 (Magic in Europe!), 05/2013 (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean); DVC Vero Beach: 04/2008, 04/2009; DVC Hilton Head Island: 05/2013; DL California: 09/2005; DLP: 03/1996 (Sequoia Lodge), 09/1996, 03/1997, 06/2002 (Hotel Santa Fe), 09/2007 (Hotel Santa Fe), 12/2008 (Sequoia Lodge), 03/2013 (Hotel New York); Tokyo DL: 04/1998 /// Non-Disney trips: Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Denmark (Copenhagen), Finland (Helsinki), France (Paris, Côte d'Azur), Germany (Berlin, Munich), Grand Cayman, Great Britain (London, Gibraltar), Italy (Venice, Florence, Pisa), Japan (Tokyo), Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Mexico, Monaco (Monte Carlo), Morocco (Marrakesh), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Norway (Oslo, Bergen, North Cape), Portugal (Lisbon), Spain (Barcelona, Mallorca), Sweden (Stockholm), Switzerland (CERN, Zurich), Tunisia, Turkey, USA
Disneybine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybine View Post
It does sound like a good plan. The only thing I would do differently is this: Stay at the off-site condo first, then move to Disney. That way, you'll have the fun on-site stay to look forward to!

I agree

View of Bay Lake from the porch at Narcoossees ~ August 2013
My Previous TripsDCL Wonder 2004, WDW Grand Floridian 2007, WDW Polynesian 2010, Disney Dream July 2011, WDW Beach Club August 2011 (During Hurricane Irene), WDW Animal Kingdom - Kidani Villas August 2012, WDW Bay Lake Villas August 2013
oceanmarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree too! Save the best for last!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsBlack Hills, SD 1999; Colorado Rockies 2006; Sea World Trip 2008; WDW (Polynesian Resort) February 2010; Mt. Rushmore 2011; Bad lands 2011; Bahama Disney DREAM Cruise 2012; Vero Beach 2012; WDW (Poly) February 2012; Lake Superior 2012
Tiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 7
I was going to recommend saving the best for last..... 2 weeks sounds wonderful!
My Previous TripsDL 1999, WDW April 2003,WDW June 2004,WDW 2005, WDW April 2006, WDW June 2007, WDW PORS May 2010,WDW Poly Aug 2012, Poly Aug 2013, WL Aug 2013,AKL Oct 2013, BWI Feb 2014
Chancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 5
:
Quote:
:yeahthat I always book any time we plan do off site attractions before going to Disney This way we are close have seen all the other stuff sort of like an opening act and then the Main event. Last year we did book FtW cabins for 3 nights before our Package time but that was because all we intended to do was US after spending our first full day exploreing FtW and then Typhoon Lagoon my DW said US other than Harry Potter area was a mjor let down. This year we'll do Sea World and if its warm enough maybe Gatorland zoo but stay at one of the off site hotels then Disney
My Countdown Counting down to: HEATHENS IN THE FORT
143 days, 5 hours, 43 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFt. Wilderness Oct 88/90/91/95/96/Sep2011 AKL Nov 2013 Ft Wilderness Nov/Dec 2013
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

but staying at Disney the second week wouldn't give us the extra Disney time, right? Since our tickets can be used for 14 days after arriving at Disney, we could do Water Parks and More option and have park credits to use for that whole second week. If we do off-site first, we don't get to take advantage of that, right? I don't care much at all about doing off-Disney stuff. Just thought it would be an economical choice to stay the second week off site, perhaps do SeaWorld and maybe some shopping / relaxing, but still have plenty of Disney options.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Just don't buy the tickets as part of a package, do room only. I agree with advice to do off-site first. Otherwise the 2nd half of the trip will be so anticlimatic.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 2000: POFQ. WDW 2003: AKL. WDW 2005: POR & WL. Grand Tour 2008: Italy, Croatia, Turkey, & Greece. Christmas 2011: HAL Southern Caribbean. WDW 2012: CBR. PNW Mouse Trek 2012: WDFM San Francisco. Anniversary 2012: HAL Alaska. Christmas 2012: Cape Town. SA 2013: Kruger, Blyde River Canyon, and Durban. SA 2014: Safari Tent Camping in Kruger.
sakana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

hmm, I'd have to look at room only versus having the package with tickets. Plus, we aim for free dining times and we'd still want that for our first week. Gotta have a package for that. Annual passes for 4 of us would still be $2400, so I'm pretty sure a 7-day moderate level package with free dining would give us better value, especially with 7 more days' worth of water park / other options. I do get what you guys are saying about it being anti-climactic to leave, though. But getting to stay longer in Florida would be a treat in itself for us. It's been - 20 Farenheit here with the windchill for over a week!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Amy View Post
hmm, I'd have to look at room only versus having the package with tickets. Plus, we aim for free dining times and we'd still want that for our first week. Gotta have a package for that. Annual passes for 4 of us would still be $2400, so I'm pretty sure a 7-day moderate level package with free dining would give us better value, especially with 7 more days' worth of water park / other options. I do get what you guys are saying about it being anti-climactic to leave, though. But getting to stay longer in Florida would be a treat in itself for us. It's been - 20 Farenheit here with the windchill for over a week!!!
Annual passes and premium annual passes are 2 different ticket types. Premium annual passes will get you into the water parks and Disney Quest as well as the parks. Happily both types will give you free parking at the parks when you are offsite.

You can definitely do it whichever way you prefer. Offsite on the last part will give you a chance to relax outside of the Disney parks and maybe slow down a bit before you go home. Just make sure you use up those Disney dining credits the day you check out of your resort.

If you can do the Aquatica with the SeaWorld portion of your trip. I just put together a package for a client and they are really excited about that add on.

DisneyTravel Planner with Magical Adventures Travel
Tracie@MagicalAdventuresTravel.com
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips17 WDW vacations since 2000, 3 DCL and 1 Exp Everest 5K.
TraD4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
with Bailey & Jacky

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Even if you're only staying at Disney for 7 nights, you can get 10-day tickets with your package so you have 3 extra days worth of admission to the theme parks for when you're staying off-site.

Author of the e-book PassPorter's Disneyland Paris

My Countdown Counting down to: 7-night Med cruise on the Disney Magic!!!
365 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW: 04/2007 (ASMo), 04/2008 (AS, POR, WL), 05/2009 (BCV, AKV - Opening Day!!!, SSR), 03/2010 (BWV, GF Concierge!!!, BLT), 05/2013 (POFQ, POP); DCL: 04/2008 (Wonder, Bahamas), 04/2009 (Magic, Western Caribbean), 08/2010 (Magic in Europe!), 05/2013 (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean); DVC Vero Beach: 04/2008, 04/2009; DVC Hilton Head Island: 05/2013; DL California: 09/2005; DLP: 03/1996 (Sequoia Lodge), 09/1996, 03/1997, 06/2002 (Hotel Santa Fe), 09/2007 (Hotel Santa Fe), 12/2008 (Sequoia Lodge), 03/2013 (Hotel New York); Tokyo DL: 04/1998 /// Non-Disney trips: Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Denmark (Copenhagen), Finland (Helsinki), France (Paris, Côte d'Azur), Germany (Berlin, Munich), Grand Cayman, Great Britain (London, Gibraltar), Italy (Venice, Florence, Pisa), Japan (Tokyo), Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Mexico, Monaco (Monte Carlo), Morocco (Marrakesh), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Norway (Oslo, Bergen, North Cape), Portugal (Lisbon), Spain (Barcelona, Mallorca), Sweden (Stockholm), Switzerland (CERN, Zurich), Tunisia, Turkey, USA
Disneybine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 2
I agree-do the offsite first
phoebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wishing I was at WDW!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 7
Another vote for staying on property the second half of your vacation!

Ann ~ Passporter Co- Guide for The Sunroom , Going Behind the Scenes, Making More Magic and WDW Feasting

My Countdown Counting down to: Moving into our new home!
Thankful for being able to sleep in my own bed again!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsChristmas 1971 first visit for our family, 1978 River Country and MK (honeymoon), March 1989 first WDW visit for my three sons, Jan. 1996 Poly, Jan. 2000 AS Sport and Disney Institute Bungalows ( now SSR), April 03 AKL, Aug. 04 Pop, April 05 AKL, Aug. 05 Pop and BC, April 06 WL, Sep. 06 POFQ, April 07 Poly, August 07 BWI, October 07 POR, Dec. 07 OKW. Feb. 08 CS, April 08 WLV, June 08 OKW and AKLV, Nov. 08 AKLV (solo trip!), Feb. 09 SSR, May 09 SSR (DoD tour - solo!), Oct. 09 BCV, Jan. 10 OKW for my birthday!, April 10 AKLV, Aug. 10 WLV, Dec, 10 WLV and ALKV., April 2011 POFQ, June 2011 AKLV Club level and Kidani Village, Nov 2011 OKW, June 2012 AKLV, Oct. 2012, CBR, April 2013, BWV, Oct. 2013 VWL, AKL Kidani Village, May 2014
Luvsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I understand what you're saying, especially with the free dining option. A 7 day WP & M option will give you a total of 14 entrances (7 park, 7 "other"). If you only did the waterparks and DQ the second week, you wouldn't miss out on the extra magic hours at the regular parks. Also, if you want to do other parks (SeaWorld or whatever), you could even do a 5 day ticket with WP &M option for a total of ten entrances. The WP & M option does allow for more flexibility in use of your park time. Good luck with your planning. I envy your two weeks!

Visiting Mary Poppins!
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring Break 2014!
We are OUTTA here!
My Previous TripsWDW: 10/06, Crappy Hotel-Spring Break (SB) 2008, Condo-SB 2009, Pop-SB 2010, AsMusic-SB 2011,POFQ-SB 2012, the Gaylord-10/2012, Girl's trip at AoA 12/2012, One Nighter at Christmas 12/2012, AoA/Pop-SB 2013, HS Chorus Trip-4/2013, AoA-SB 2014
rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote