Just back from POR.... - Page 2 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
I'm actually thinking (gasp!) we'll stay off property next trip! more space, rental car, no Disney buses, and we can eat healthier food. my kids wouldn't eat most of what was served and I missed being able to keep it healthy. there ware some decent options, but not enough for a longer trip. plus we wouldn't do as many park days and we'd actually make a point to relax and possibly shop as well. oh, and we'd like to try Legoland and Sea World. possibly would do a week at a condo and then 3 or 4 nights at AKL.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkRocks View Post
Thanks for the report. We are headed to POR in June. I liked hearing about the grounds, and your room. And, yes, even the bus stops. It is unfortunate that the bus service was such a hassle. I appreciate you sharing the details to help me prepare!

Regarding the bus situation ... are the bus stops at POR different from other moderate resorts? I have never stayed at POP so I can't really compare the two.
Not quite sure what you mean, but yes the bus stops are the same at all moderates, they are under cover with benches, and several stops so no building is far from a stop. Only POFQ has one bus stop. Pop is a value, and their bus stop is different.
I would avoid the Main bus stop at POR, it's the most crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa R View Post
Wow I'm sorry to hear you had that problem. Though when I was there in January we used the East Depot right behind the Magnolia building since that's the one we were in. Never had much of a line or wait.
Me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydiana View Post
Do POFQ and POR share service during non peak hours?
We rarely shared.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.
Sue M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I'm sorry you had such a difficult time with the busses. I remember when I stayed at POR, that the busses were an issue for me as well, but I just thought it was because there were so many tour groups staying there. If only WDW would put corrals up at all bus stops!

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

yes, corrals are a much better idea. I don't see how the other bus stops could be better when the bus would already be full by the time we all loaded at the main one and still had to stop at the subsequent stops. The bus situation at FQ seems to be a well kept secret! If we stay on property again next trip, it will definitely be FQ and possibly a couple of nights at AKL for a treat.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M. View Post
Not quite sure what you mean, but yes the bus stops are the same at all moderates, they are under cover with benches, and several stops so no building is far from a stop. Only POFQ has one bus stop.
Thanks. This is what I meant.

The thing is with the busses you just never know. We've had experiences where we've waited no time at all, others we've waited forever. We always use bus transportation for a lot of reasons and just try to plan it into our day.

That being said, I do try to figure out what the best option is as far as bus stop goes. So I appreciate the feedback CanadaAmy has shared here. It does help prepare. I am sorry for all the hassles you encountered.

Visions of WDW dancing in my head ...

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Trips: WDW June '88 (offsite), WDW April '90 (offsite - band trip!), WDW December '01 (SoG), WDW May '07 (POFQ), WDW May '09 (CSR), WDW May/June '11 (CBR), WDW June '13 (POR)
TinkRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Amy View Post
yes, corrals are a much better idea. I don't see how the other bus stops could be better when the bus would already be full by the time we all loaded at the main one and still had to stop at the subsequent stops. The bus situation at FQ seems to be a well kept secret! If we stay on property again next trip, it will definitely be FQ and possibly a couple of nights at AKL for a treat.
The main stop isn't necessarily the first one. We've had 3 stays at POR either Jan or Aug. stays, always use the mansion stop, and bus has never been filled. I think possibly the main stop fills up and another bus picks up the other stops during peak times of park opening? Not sure, I just know our experience using mansion bus stop, is that bus was never filled, and the average wait was no longer then 20 min for the most part. And that bus stop was never chaotic like the Main Depot, and no corral needed.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

I will be there in 100 days!!! I will have my van if I get frustrated with the buses. I stayed at CB last year and only had issues one night with a long line for buses back from Epcot.

I have a question about the coffee maker. I heard they were now Keurigs instead of traditional "Mr. Coffee" types. Is this true? I was hoping to use them to make hot water to pour into bowls of oatmeal for breakfast.
mawmaw to 3 beautiful granddaughters: 5, 3, 1 and #4 due in February
16 trips to WDW
My Countdown Counting down to: Finally back to Disney!!!
On our way!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1978, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1997, ASMu 1998, 2000, FW 2004, FW 2006, FW 2006, FW 2008, FW 2010, SoG 2011, CB 2012, POR 2013
mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

they give you large paper cups and then you can fill two with hot water at a time. we made oatmeal several times : )

interesting about the other stops at POR....must be separate buses. we couldn't believe we were dealing with this at 7:45am or 8am. at Pop there'd be no one lined up!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M. View Post
The main stop isn't necessarily the first one. We've had 3 stays at POR either Jan or Aug. stays, always use the mansion stop, and bus has never been filled. I think possibly the main stop fills up and another bus picks up the other stops during peak times of park opening? Not sure, I just know our experience using mansion bus stop, is that bus was never filled, and the average wait was no longer then 20 min for the most part. And that bus stop was never chaotic like the Main Depot, and no corral needed.
This is what we experienced at POR in November, we stayed in AB and used the West Depot after trying the South Depot on our first day and finding it too crowded and hard to get on a bus. At the West Depot, we were usually the first stop to be picked up in the morning (I'm assuming this because the busses were empty) and there were never more than a few families waiting with us. What is strange though, is we only stopped at the North and East Depots next, never stopping at the South. I wonder if they have different busses running along those stops?

My first TR:A Very Merry SurpriseHere we go again: Goin' Down the Bayou Our Anniversary Trip: Happy 10 Years

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Second Cruise
274 days, 16 hours, 7 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsYearly trips to WDW as a child with my family (1982 - 1989), WDW/Universal 1992, Senior Class Trip to WDW June 1994, WDW 2001, First Family Trip with my girls 2009, First MNSSHP October 2010, First MVMCP November 2011, POR November 2012, POR and our first cruise on the Dream August 2013
JKnott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

This bus discussion regarding which stops are included on which routes is very interesting. I tried to dig around a little and found this on the "Unofficial" Port Orleans fan site:

Note: generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots. After 10:30am, all of the resort buses follow the entire route starting at French Quarter, then going around all four Riverside Depots in turn before heading on to their final destination. This can have an impact on overall journey times.

Visions of WDW dancing in my head ...

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Trips: WDW June '88 (offsite), WDW April '90 (offsite - band trip!), WDW December '01 (SoG), WDW May '07 (POFQ), WDW May '09 (CSR), WDW May/June '11 (CBR), WDW June '13 (POR)
TinkRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wishing I was at WDW!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

I love POR - you are right, it is beautiful there! When we stayed there we only had issues with the bus service at night. As with you, there were always huge lines waiting to go back to the resort.
I am glad you figured out another way to get back to POR.
I am sorry you were disappointed with the bus service.

Ann ~ Passporter Co- Guide for The Sunroom , Going Behind the Scenes, Making More Magic and WDW Feasting

My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Diva's magical trip to WDW!!
10 days, 16 hours, 7 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsChristmas 1971 first visit for our family, 1978 River Country and MK (honeymoon), March 1989 first WDW visit for my three sons, Jan. 1996 Poly, Jan. 2000 AS Sport and Disney Institute Bungalows ( now SSR), April 03 AKL, Aug. 04 Pop, April 05 AKL, Aug. 05 Pop and BC, April 06 WL, Sep. 06 POFQ, April 07 Poly, August 07 BWI, October 07 POR, Dec. 07 OKW. Feb. 08 CS, April 08 WLV, June 08 OKW and AKLV, Nov. 08 AKLV (solo trip!), Feb. 09 SSR, May 09 SSR (DoD tour - solo!), Oct. 09 BCV, Jan. 10 OKW for my birthday!, April 10 AKLV, Aug. 10 WLV, Dec, 10 WLV and ALKV., April 2011 POFQ, June 2011 AKLV Club level and Kidani Village, Nov 2011 OKW, June 2012 AKLV, Oct. 2012, CBR, April 2013, BWV, Oct. 2013 VWL, AKL Kidani Village, May 2014
Luvsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Amy View Post
they give you large paper cups and then you can fill two with hot water at a time. we made oatmeal several times : )
Thank you!!! I bought the little individual bowls of oatmeal to bring with us for breakfast in the room as well as the bowls of cereal. I just hope I remember spoons.

100 days to go!!!!
mawmaw to 3 beautiful granddaughters: 5, 3, 1 and #4 due in February
16 trips to WDW
My Countdown Counting down to: Finally back to Disney!!!
On our way!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1978, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1997, ASMu 1998, 2000, FW 2004, FW 2006, FW 2006, FW 2008, FW 2010, SoG 2011, CB 2012, POR 2013
mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

I've never stayed at POR but I have stayed at POFQ. We took the bus from Downtown Disney and it stopped at POR first. It went through all these different stops and I was so overwhelmed by it all! I like POFQ with its one stop (and Pop as well). It's a reason I decided, for our upcoming trip, to go with POFQ again rather than another one of the moderates, although I'd love a change of pace at some point. The smallness of POFQ and their buses are too much of a draw for me.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2001, WDW May 2005, DLR Sept 2005, WDW Sept 2008, DLR Jan 2009, WDW June 2009, WDW Jan 2011, WDW June 2011, WDW Feb 2012, WDW Feb 2013, WDW June 2013, WDW Nov 2014
LilRonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkRocks View Post
This bus discussion regarding which stops are included on which routes is very interesting. I tried to dig around a little and found this on the "Unofficial" Port Orleans fan site:

Note: generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots. After 10:30am, all of the resort buses follow the entire route starting at French Quarter, then going around all four Riverside Depots in turn before heading on to their final destination. This can have an impact on overall journey times.
Good sleuthing! Pretty much what I thought but wasn't sure! I tried the main bus depot once, didn't like it and after that just used our bus stop near room. So much more relaxing & pleasant.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

"Note: generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots. After 10:30am, all of the resort buses follow the entire route starting at French Quarter, then going around all four Riverside Depots in turn before heading on to their final destination. This can have an impact on overall journey times."

WHAT? I'm not sure where those facts originate, because the only time we've had to share a bus with POR from FQ was heading to Epcot. And that wasn't an "all the time" thing. I think it depended on crowds perhaps. And we've never had need for a corral situation at FQ either. We're never that crowded there. As for the bus to DTD, I can't say for sure because 99.9% of the time we take the ferry there.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips2004 AllStars Movies, 2005 AllStars Movies, 2006 Spring Break, POFQ; 2006 Thanksgiving, POFQ; 2007 Spring break, POFQ; 2007 Thanksgiving, Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2008 spring & Thanksgiving, POFQ; 2009 Spring break, POFQ; Thanksgiving, Caribbean Beaches (Pirates room); 2010 Spring Break & Thanksgiving, POFQ, 2011 Spring Break, POFQ; Thanksgiving 2011 at POFQ; Spring break 2012, Universal Parks & Sea World; 2013 Spring break at Universal Parks & Busch Gardens; 2014 Spring Break at Allstars Movies with Grandkids; upcoming Thanksgiving trip at Universal Parks (Hard Rock) & WDW (POFQ).

Last edited by mamasann; 02-17-2013 at 07:54 AM..
mamasann is offline   Reply With Quote