Just back from POR.... - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Just back from POR....

This resort is breathtaking in scenery. The girls were thrilled with the royal rooms. glad we went for it. They would play with the fireworks lights every night : ) The boat to DD is really nice, though we did get caught in a long line waiting for a boat - on a weeknight at that!

I have to say we were disappointed with the bussing with this resort. It is chaotic! far too many people staying there to keep up with the demand, especially when trying to get to MK for park opening or a monorail hotel for an ADR. I don't like that they have no corrals for people to line up in or the fact that each of the two bus zones at the main stop service several destinations. People were pushing their way through to get on a bus, unlike the nicely corraled line-ups at Pop. We also had the experience of a second bus for MK parking behind the first and while we couldn't get on the first, the last people to come would make a mad dash to the other bus. A real frustration when you're traveling with a double jogger stroller, 2 small kids, and a blind person!

So because of the transportation, I don't believe we'll stay at POR again. FQ seems to be just as beautiful, but their lineups are a joke compared to POR! so much so that we finally caught on towards the end of the trip and started using their buses returning from MK when 15 or 20 people would be lined up rather than 150 to 200 in the POR line. It's a lovely walk along the river (10 mins. max) to POR from FQ if you're staying in one of the closest buildings to the eatery, etc. We were in Parterre Place. absolutely gorgeous.

so as much as we loved the royal rooms, even my near 7 year old, Abby, is fine with going to FQ next time to avoid the bus hassle because at times it really took away from our trip enjoyment.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
Sorry about the bus hassle but that's why I always get a rental car. I can come and go as I please and I don't have to wait for busses or rude people or anything else that happens in/on the busses and lines.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
I'm glad to hear POR was beautiful. I'm sorry to hear about the busses! We didn't have that experience last time, and I hope it's better when we are down there. I agree that it would be nice if they had lines. Though I do love that the bus waiting areas are covered. Can't wait to stay in a Royal Room!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

We are staying at POR in May in a Royal Room also. After hearing this I am glad we are drivng!

LLGMOMMY2 (jess)
llgmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 2
When we stay at POR we always use the bus stop behind the Magnolia Terrace mansion. It's usually closer, since we stay in the Mansion section, and way less chaotic then the Main Depot. We've never had a problem there, and were able to sit on a bench under cover (particularly nice in summer heat) to wait for bus.

We just returned too, from POFQ stay. We were on our way back to FQ around 3ish one day from AK, where bus is shared, and noticed quite a few tour groups were staying at Riverside. They filled up first bus, but a second was right behind.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.
Sue M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Many trips stayed at CB and after a few trips got tired of all the bus stops. Really like the way Pop has the bus set up. At WL it is one of thoes free for all bus area's with no line up so we will be back in that situation again. It is hard when you have strollers and little ones to get on and off, even if you are first at the bus stop and are standing there people manage to get on that bus first, but you know all that before you go so you expect it, and I am just always glad if we get seats.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WLV-.2014 WLV
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Thanks for the report. We are headed to POR in June. I liked hearing about the grounds, and your room. And, yes, even the bus stops. It is unfortunate that the bus service was such a hassle. I appreciate you sharing the details to help me prepare!

Regarding the bus situation ... are the bus stops at POR different from other moderate resorts? I have never stayed at POP so I can't really compare the two.

Visions of WDW dancing in my head ...

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Trips: WDW June '88 (offsite), WDW April '90 (offsite - band trip!), WDW December '01 (SoG), WDW May '07 (POFQ), WDW May '09 (CSR), WDW May/June '11 (CBR), WDW June '13 (POR)
TinkRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Sorry about the buses and how that impacted on the enjoyment of your trip.

Enjoying time in beautiful Verona on our Italy road trip. The trip reports for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey and a day out in Paris are now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our wedding anniversary
6 days, 5 hours, 53 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow I'm sorry to hear you had that problem. Though when I was there in January we used the East Depot right behind the Magnolia building since that's the one we were in. Never had much of a line or wait.
Teresa R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

We've stayed at POFQ several times and the bus has never been a problem and never been a madhouse to get on, even during crowded times like Thanksgiving. The only frustration we've ever had was that several times we'd have to "share" the bus to Epcot with POR and hit all of their 3 depots. That was as bad as staying at CB. But on the upside, the bus came to POFQ first!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips2004 AllStars Movies, 2005 AllStars Movies, 2006 Spring Break, POFQ; 2006 Thanksgiving, POFQ; 2007 Spring break, POFQ; 2007 Thanksgiving, Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2008 spring & Thanksgiving, POFQ; 2009 Spring break, POFQ; Thanksgiving, Caribbean Beaches (Pirates room); 2010 Spring Break & Thanksgiving, POFQ, 2011 Spring Break, POFQ; Thanksgiving 2011 at POFQ; Spring break 2012, Universal Parks & Sea World; 2013 Spring break at Universal Parks & Busch Gardens; 2014 Spring Break at Allstars Movies with Grandkids; upcoming Thanksgiving trip at Universal Parks (Hard Rock) & WDW (POFQ).
mamasann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

We stayed at POR in August and had the same experience with the buses
We have also decided not staying there in the future because the transportation. We also liked the resort itself it's a shame the transportation is reason to keep people from going back to the resort. Maybe they will catch on and make changes.

Deck 11 on The Disney Dream
Renee'
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMarch 2004 (off Resort) April 2010 Honeymoon Pop Century August 2011 Family vacation Pop Century August 2012 Family Vacation POR August 2013 A trip for two Pop Century August 2014 Family trip POP Century and Disney Dream
renbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Do POFQ and POR share service during non peak hours?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

When I was in Disney in September I stayed at POFQ. I noticed that buses going to the parks were for us only but coming back we almost always shared the route with Riverside. We stopped at all their depots before getting back to FQ.

My (Pre)Trip Reports
My First Disney Trip (WDW 2012) TR
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes - PTR
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Asuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

we came and went at all hours of the day and night and I think we only shared buses with FQ once or maybe twice. yes, I have succumbed to the reality that a rental car is probably best. we wasted so much time waiting for buses!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

I think our biggest frustration with the buses at POR was we were never sure if we would go straight to a park or have to do the loop around the resort before leaving. It's hard to figure out what time to get to the stop if you don't know. We caught the buses at the South Depot (main building) each time. Sometimes we'd make the loop around POR's stops, sometimes we'd stop at POFQ, but most of the time we went to the park from there.

I just can't let bus service make the decision on whether I stay at a resort or not. My last three onsite trips have been to CSR, ASSports, and POR. We had frustrations with both CSR and POR buses. POR was a first trip, but we'd stayed at CSR twice before without any transportation woes. We had some of the best service we've ever had at ASSports.

And overall, the worst service we've ever had was at GF, the flagship resort!

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote