How should Disney compensate for "no fridge"?? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Staying in Style: The Resorts/Hotels at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: ALL STAR Vacation Homes
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

How should Disney compensate for "no fridge"??

At this point in hotel services, many hotels have fridges or offer free breakfast with a stay. Many of us have made reservations and plans that require a fridge in our rooms, and we will spend more on the room at disney because we don't have to go out for breakfast, or we can feed our kids before going to the park, or we can keep a snack or drink cold .....and we like being so close of the parks.
How would you want Disney to make up for the fact that you may not have that fridge in your room?
Personally, I think that they should give guests $10 per night per guest gift cards to use.
I realize that this may have not been foreseen, and all that....but I really want to know what Disney customer service will do to make up for it....
What do you think?
mickey nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 1
How much did it use to cost to rent a fridge before they came standard in every room? I think it was $10 per night but I'm not sure. We could get a gift card for that amount. I would put it toward breakfast items in the CS restaurant in my hotel since I usually use the fridge for milk to avoid eating breakfast outside the room.

My Countdown Counting down to: Magical trip to Yacht Club
We just can't stay away
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOct 2002 AS Sports - Oct 2004 AS Movies - July 2005 POFQ - April 2007 Beach Club - June 2008 Coronado Springs/Polynesian - August 2009 AS Music - August 2011 Pop/Coronado Springs- Oct 2011 Boardwalk- July 2012 AS Sport/POR- Aug 2013 CBR
krisk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

In my frequent travels, I don't find a fridge to be a standard amenity. More common yes but I still encounter many hotels that don't.

I don't think the draw to staying onsite at A Disney resort is the fridge.

$10/night/guest is rather steep, no?? To be honest, I don't think they would discount the rooms even if they never reinstalled fridges. I think they are planning to accommodate as many guests as possible with portable fridges and coolers, but I wouldn't expect any compensation if you don't get one.

For what it's worth, there are other breakfast options that don't require a fridge so if that is a big concern, I'd make a plan B.

Mel

COMPLETED (includingl MNSSHP)-Most Everyone's Mad Here

Ongoing and Never Ending TR: Updated 9/13- The Perpetual Disney Adventures with the D Family
mdobereiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

....I think that there are a lot of things that Disney could do as "compensation" ...but I doubt that a $10 gift card / per day of stay, would be one of them.

....I don't see them doing something that could / would enable a guest to buy something off the shelf in a park or resort. It's likely that they wan't the "loss" to be centered in the resort ...and as a matter of bookkeeping, limit to the per/room income. So, I think that a $10/day room credit would be the most likely scenario. You have to realize that when the fridges went in the rooms as part of the "given" amenities ...the rates went up. A room discount is the most visible way to show that something is "coming back" to the guest due to the inconvenience.

My Countdown Counting down to: ....something 'different' in 2014
My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP
JerseyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 6
I don't see them offering any kind of refund. I'm sure they will have new fridges available as quickly as possible.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Yes, Mel, but not many hotels cost me $400 per night....for that you usually get a robe, and a chocolate on the pillow as well as twice daily maid service. I get none of that here! I think a fridge is the least I should get for that deluxe price.....

And, no, I did not choose this or that hotel for the fridge--but it has come to be standard here for many, and expected. Not to mention the number of people who have orders in tor food at Garden Grocer.....

I'm just curious how charitable we should be for a co who isn't improving the parks much at all, and has taken away many amenities it has offered in the past while increasing food, hotel and park prices....
That's all.

BTW I Love Disney--but I'm annoyed at the constant rise in rates....
mickey nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldercup View Post
I don't see them offering any kind of refund. I'm sure they will have new fridges available as quickly as possible.

....if that's true ...it's time to buy stock in PC Richard & BestBuy

My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

What Disney room doesn't have a fridge in the room?
( outside Disney) once we paid 225 a night for a room, and NO fridge.. nothing special.. because a friend said. you chose it.. should of looked into it more..
I always make sure now im getting for what I pay for..
because most places wont give you the difference between what you get and what you deserve.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Lady427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey nut View Post
Personally, I think that they should give guests $10 per night per guest gift cards to use.
I think that $10 per room/night is reasonable, but $10/guest/night seems a bit much to me.

I read on another board (not sure if it is true or just speculation) that Disney might be offering $15/night credit or gift cards to affected guests.

And I agree that most hotels are now offering mini fridges, but definitely not all. We stayed at the Westin DTW over the weekend - high end hotel, no mini-fridge.
My Previous TripsOctober 2014 - YC, September 2014 - BWI, August 2014 - Hard Rock-Universal Studios Orlando, April 2014 - Disney Fantasy, March 2014 - AoA, November 2013 - CSR, October 2013 - BWI, August 2013 - AoA, March 2013 - BWI, February 2013 - Disney Dream, October 2012 - Dolphin, September 2012 - POFQ, June 2012 - Pop, March 2012 - CBR, October 2011 - BCV, September 2011 - AKL, June 2011 - Pop, May 2011- Yacht Club, January 2011 - POFQ, December 2010 - Swan, October 2010 - BWI & CSR, September 2010 - GF, May 2010 - Poly, December 2009 - WL, May 2009 - CBR, May 2009 - Disney's HHI, March 2009 - CR, December 2008 - Disney's HHI, December 2008 - CR, August 2008 - AS Sports, March 2008 - POR, July 1999 - Off-property, Several childhood trips - Off-property

Last edited by annc98; 07-11-2013 at 03:36 PM..
annc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey nut View Post
Yes, Mel, but not many hotels cost me $400 per night....for that you usually get a robe, and a chocolate on the pillow as well as twice daily maid service. I get none of that here! I think a fridge is the least I should get for that deluxe price.....

And, no, I did not choose this or that hotel for the fridge--but it has come to be standard here for many, and expected. Not to mention the number of people who have orders in tor food at Garden Grocer.....

I'm just curious how charitable we should be for a co who isn't improving the parks much at all, and has taken away many amenities it has offered in the past while increasing food, hotel and park prices....
That's all.

BTW I Love Disney--but I'm annoyed at the constant rise in rates....

....I mentioned this issue to my wife last night ...and she said, "So ...if it bothers you that much, I'll cancel the trip" (she was in a not so good mood ...and has a cold)

...so I didn't really expand to her on the financial implications of NOT having the fridge. First, I know that room rates went up when the fridges went in. Okay ...so WDW will no admit it ...but it's all part of "the game". I accept that. Fine. My room is now about $20 more than the previous year. BUT ...having the fridge helps me to offset the upcharge because:

1.) We drive
2.) Because we drive, I bring a case of my own beer (about $32 bucks)

....so if I have the fridge ...and my beer inside it ...I'm not spending +$5 per beer at the poolside bar. 24 x +$5 bucks is +$120 (fyi ....I would never pay +$5/beer for the brand of beer they sell at WDW) But ...as you could see ...the cost of not having the fridge ...for those that would pay the aforementioned cost/beer ...is quite substantial.

...now ...there are those that will say I could have a cooler ...and get ice ...and put the beer in it. But then I have to lug ice ...empty melted water from cooler ...hope that said cooler does not leak ....lug cooler to / from WDW.

....fwiw ....I just spent the weekend in Harrah's resort in Atlantic City ....and I had a fridge

Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
You have to realize that when the fridges went in the rooms as part of the "given" amenities ...the rates went up. A room discount is the most visible way to show that something is "coming back" to the guest due to the inconvenience.
The rates go up every year, so I'm not sure there is any proof that Disney raised them due to the addition of a refrigerator. It's true that they used to charge for one, but that doesn't mean Disney should have to refund $10/night for something that is not there IMO.

I certainly understand that some want to hold Disney accountable for "cuts", but this one appears completely out of their control and will be addressed.
My Previous Trips2/99 - offsite, 6/99 - ASM, Spring 2000 - College Program, 1/01 - POR, 5/01 - offsite, 1/02 - GF, 5/02 - Disneyland, 8/02 - offsite, 11/02 - AS, 5/03 - YC (Engagement!), 8/04 - WL (Honeymoon!), 7/05 - BC (Anniversary!), 12/06 - BCV (Christmas!), 6/07 - SSR (First Official DVC Trip!), 11/07 - POR, 6/08 - VWL, 1/09 - SSR (Maddy's First Trip!), 8/09 - VWL, 12/09 - Poly, 6/10 - AKLV Jambo, 11/10 - AKLV Jambo, 6/11 - BCV, 11/11 - WL, 6/12 - AKL, 1/13 - AKL (Bryce's First Trip!), 8/13 - BCV, 1/14 - WL, 7/14 - BCV (10th Anniversary!)
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
... this one appears completely out of their control and will be addressed.
That's my thought, too. They have removed the fridges due to a fire hazard. They didn't do it to cut costs or anything. They did it for guest safety.

Knowing Disney's commitment to customer service, they will have new fridges in the rooms as quickly as possible.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
...now ...there are those that will say I could have a cooler ...and get ice ...and put the beer in it. But then I have to lug ice ...empty melted water from cooler ...hope that said cooler does not leak ....lug cooler to / from WDW.
  1. You're driving. Stop at a grocery store (etc) near WDW and buy a cheap, disposable styrofoam cooler.
  2. Also buy, or bring, a "boot tray"; they weigh maybe half a pound, and take up nearly zero space/volume. And would easily catch any leak from a cooler.
  3. Empty the cooler directly into the shower in your room's bathroom.
  4. If the worst thing that happens to you is having to carry a couple buckets of ice down a hallway every night, well ... *shrug*
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Or you could just bring/have shipped a dorm cube for the duration of your stay and "donate" it to the next guest, ship it home, or give it to a charity like GKTW. If you drive, it's not hard to bring one, which we did two years in a row before we figured out that they would give us a medical fridge at no charge (before that, we used the ice bucket/soft cooler combo). For example: Purchase the Igloo 1.7-cu ft Refrigerator at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Nik & his favorite guy Goofy at DHS Osborne Lights
Sandra in Northern VA
My Countdown Counting down to: Our next stay at All Star Music with free dining!
We're off to Walt Disney World!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOff-site 1972, 1973, 1975, 1984, 1985, 1988. All Star Music 2001-2012; Swan 2011. All Star Movies 2013.
yalibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

CMs have been telling people they are paying $15 a night but they are also saying that it is not as drastic a change out as has been quoted. Most rooms will be done between guests and not all rooms have the faulty fridge it is only some.

My Countdown Counting down to: Weekend in Perth with Graeme and Rory
3 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote