Husband hates Disney. Need your thoughts - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 7
Husband hates Disney. Need your thoughts

I need your thoughts. I have went to disney for a week for the past 5 years with my sister. Invited my husband along once and he hated it he wind up flying back early and my sister and I said for rest of week. Well he makes a point of telling me and other people how much he hates disney and anything with disney name on it. He tells me he thinks I'm crazy for spending so much time there. And I know he talks about it behind my back because some has got back to me. Don't get me wrong he's a good man and he's good to me he just doesn't get disney. Even though it would break my heart do I just give up disney trips to please him or what would you do?
mickeyforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Do you take trips with him, too, or are your only vacations to Disney with your sister?

Could you cut back the Disney trips to every other year so he doesn't feel like you're spending so much money in one place?

My Previous Trips1974 w/mom and best friend -- 1976 w/parents -- 5/2002 ASMo DD's 1st visit -- 11/2002 ASMo w/hubby and the Princess (2 trips that year - what luck!) -- 2005 POP holiday trip -- 2006 ASMo w/ DH, DD, B and SIL for niece's graduation -- 2/2009 DLR -- 11/2009 ASMu -- 11/2010 POFQ & 12/2010 POP -- Non-Disney trips: too many to mention
Carousel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
I'm sorry he's not supporting your love of Disney, and actually belittling it.

What does he like to do on vacation? Have you gone other places together?

I agree with perhaps cutting back on the frequency of trips and maybe the length of them as well. But, I don't think giving up something you love is the right thing to do.

You do need to talk to him about how he's handling the situation though. He doesn't have to like it but talking behind your back is out of line.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Cutting back on the number of trips might not be a bad idea. Maybe go someplace else together?
My Previous Trips2014 BWI, 2013 BC, 2013 GF, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW, 2012 BWI, 2011 BWI, 2011 BC, 2010 BC, 2010 CSR, 2010 Kidani, 2009 GCV, 2009 BC, 2008 BWV, 2008 Grand Californian, 2008 BC, 2007 BWI, 2007 POFQ, 2007 Grand Californian, 2006 BC, 2006 POR, 2006 WL, 2005 BC, 2005 BWI, 2005 CBR, 2004 CR, 2005 Poly, 2004 GF, 2004 POFQ 2004 Poly, 2003 Poly, 2003 CSR, 2003 POR, 2002 AKL, 2002 GF, 2001 AKL, 2001 Poly, 2000 CBR, 1999 CBR, 1998 ASMo, 1997 ASMu, 1996 ASMu, 1995 ASSp, 1991 Wyndham, 1989 off site, 1985 Off Site
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I would not let him keep you from doing something you like to do, you would eventually come to resent him for it.
My husband (in the past) never wanted to go with me on my vacations, I went to the beach most of the time. I would just plan my vacation without him.
Then we started going to the races, camped out or go to Daytona, always with his friends, we went to Bike week one time in Daytona, I had a good time too!!
Now we have a 4yr old & went to Disney for the first time in 2011 & are planning on going next month. I know this is a place he is only willing to go because of our daughter, he enjoys seeing the happiness on her face.
I would just invite him to go & when he declines, just go ahead & make your plans & go. Trust me, if you quit doing it because of him, you will resent him eventually.
WDW Trip May 2011
Stayed off site
My Previous TripsWDW 2011 Off site GKTW MAW Vacation
bella2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

I'm not sure I understand why your husband gets upset about your trips to Disney if he doesn't have to go on them? Is that the only vacation that you have time to take each year? If it is, then I would agree with the others - maybe change it up sometimes and go places with him. However, if you take these trips with your sis and are still able to take another vacation with your DH, then he needs to chill. Just because he doesn't like something, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to enjoy it on your own.

DH and me with our favorites
My Countdown Counting down to: Going to NC for Christmas!
26 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013; SSR MNSSHP & all WDW parks Sept 2014 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carousel96 View Post
Do you take trips with him, too, or are your only vacations to Disney with your sister?

Could you cut back the Disney trips to every other year so he doesn't feel like you're spending so much money in one place?
Yea we usually go to the beach every summer for a few days and another small trip to the mountains in fall. These trips usually are 3 or 4 days. He doesn't like to take any longer. He's a workaholic I've thought of the every other year so I wasn't going back till 2014 but don't know if this will satisfy him I think from what I'm hearing from others he wants me to give it up period and that makes me very sad
Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
I'm sorry he's not supporting your love of Disney, and actually belittling it.

What does he like to do on vacation? Have you gone other places together?

I agree with perhaps cutting back on the frequency of trips and maybe the length of them as well. But, I don't think giving up something you love is the right thing to do.

You do need to talk to him about how he's handling the situation though. He doesn't have to like it but talking behind your back is out of line.
I have tried to fine things he likes. A cruise he didn't like that. Took him to disney he didn't like that. Last year we went to beach he said he just didn't like it. All he seems to want to do is work
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think one of the things that bothers him is I pay for the trip. But I work a 40 hour job and I don't buy a lot of stuff like clothes etc instead I save my money. My sister never gets to go anywhere she's disable to work because of health issues and barely survives so it makes me feel good to do this for her. I never take a dime from him I pay for trips myself. With saving change and asking for gift cards for birthday and such. And she does what she can. She'll come clean my house or clean his work shop( he's a mechanic) she try's. but he and I still do things together
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

If he wants you to give up Disney altogether, then he's the one who needs to rethink things-- someone who loves you would never ask you to give up something that brings you such joy, especially when you are also doing it for your sister.

My opinion only, of course.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Sounds like he just doesn't like to go on vacation for more than a few days. I have some family members who are "home bodies" and don't like to be away from where they are comfortable for more than a day or two - if that.
My suggestion? ASK your DH why he seems to resent your vacations to WDW. If it's because you pay for your sister, then remind him she does things for you guys and that she does what she can. Ask him if there is a way the two of you can get to an understanding about your going to WDW with her.
I wouldn't let him take that time away from you - not only are you enjoying yourself and unwinding from working, but you're also spending time with your sister.
Maybe you can curtail your trips to every other year - but add a few days? Or spend less time, but still go yearly?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe when the time is right I'll speak to him about every other year maybe he'll go along with this.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

My hubby is not a huge Disney fan either. He goes as the family enjoys it, but we don't go once a year. If you go with your sister and your husband goes along, perhaps he can skip a day or two at Disney to explore other interests such as golf, etc.

I agree with Ashli about letting the Disney trips be with just your sister and do some mini-getaways with your hubby at other locations. If he just likes to be at home, do staycations, day trips or an overnighter or two close to home.

You can both be happy...just going to take some compromising.
2 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes
My Previous Trips(2 many 2 count b4 1994)~~DLR 5/1994~~DLR 11/1999~~WDW/Disney Cruise 10/2005~~DLR 4/2008~~DLR 10/2008~~DLR 5/2010~~DLR 3/2013~~DLR 4/2014
Lilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 5
My DH is not a Big fan of Disney. However, he loves me enough to take me every 2 years. We also now have 2 DGC that we love to take to Disney. I include him in the planning, especially where we intend to eat. Now, we all pretend he is running the vacation and all is well.

My Countdown Counting down to: A WONDERFUL FAMILY TRIP!!
378 days, 20 hours, 28 minutes
My Previous TripsNOVEMBER 1994-LARSON'S LODGE/NOVEMBER 1996-LARSON'S LODGE/JULY 1998-LARSON'S LODGE/ OCTOBER 2008 -POP CENTURY/ 2010- POP CENTURY/ SEPTEMBER 2012-POP CENTURY/OCTOBER 2013-POP CENTURY/SEPTEMBER 2014~POP CENTURY
Roxie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am the household workaholic. I like vacations but I hate leaving my job in somebody else's hands. There are things I don't like to do because the hassle outweighs what I see would be the enjoyment of time and money spent.

That said, does your leaving put strain on his time or add a lot of hassle to his schedule at home? Are these things that can be set up in advance, like meals or a dog-walking service? Are there special things he can do at home while you're gone that you don't like to do together?

Good luck. I hope you can work something out for both of you.
hyprmut is offline   Reply With Quote