wanting to Move to Florida - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bee
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 3
Question wanting to Move to Florida

Just curious if anyone besides wanting to move has done it?? I really am thinking about and since my life has gotten hit with a curve ball I'm seriously thinking about it.

if you have what did you do? did you just pack up and move? did you give yourself a time limit??

thanks!
My Previous TripsJust started counting…..Many florida trips with the family before then.. WDW Jan 2008 - Condo with neices and nephews WDW Nov 2008 ASMusic (birthday solo celebration) DL Nov 2009 (birthday celebration) WDW Aug 2009 SSR (Marissa's birthday celebration) WDW June 2010 Fort Wilderness Cabins (trip with mom and dad) WDW Nov 2010 Carribean Beach (birthday celebration - me & dad) WDW August 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Friend Reunion me, Marissa, Betsy, Juliana) WDW August 2012 Pop Century (solo trip) WDW November 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins (Birthday trip, me, mom and dad) WDW November 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge with husband. (he hated it :()
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
A few of our members have: LuvSun and GrayGables to name a couple.
They would be able to give you the ups and downs of living in FL. Me, I like my snow and ice too much to contemplate leaving it!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 2
Not now but eventually either Florida or Arizona! Hate the snow and ice I wish Indiana had fall, spring, and summer and no winter! Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 1
Heather (ilovedisney247) did just that. She packed up and moved from New Orleans to Orlando. I keep "threatening" my DH that I will get a nursing job at Disney and we will need to move. I think if we weren't in an upside down mortgage, we probably already would have done it.

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
Couple of Rum Runners and a Beach!
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I haven't yet, but it's in the long range plan for me, and probably DS too. He has a few more years of school, and I have about 8 more to work. After that, I hope to head south.

a magical start to DS 14th birthday
My Countdown Counting down to: Wacky Family Trip 2015!
154 days, 19 hours, 37 minutes
My Previous TripsDL off-site June 1979, WDW off-site Sept 1985, All-Star Movies May 2002, All-Star Music June 2007, All-Star Sports May 2009, Pop Century June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, All-Star Sports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, All-Star Movies October 2013, Tropicana Inn at Disneyland Resort June 2014
joelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wishing I was at WDW!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 7
Yes, we did make the move to southwest Florida in November 2010!
But it took us 2 years to sell our home in Indiana and get ready to actually make the move.
And even after all of the preparation and all of the plans we made, we still had issues with employment once we moved to Florida.
We love living here in southwest Florida, but I strongly suggest to you that if you are serious about moving and you need to be employed, do your research!!!
Jobs are very difficult to find, unless you want retail or service jobs. Those jobs do not pay well.
It has taken my dh 2 1/2 years to find a very good job with a reputable company.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I will help you anyway I can.
with your decision!

Ann ~ Passporter Co- Guide for The Sunroom , Going Behind the Scenes, Making More Magic and WDW Feasting

My Countdown Counting down to: Zachary comes to Florida for Christmas!!
Spending time with Zachary at Christmas time!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsChristmas 1971 first visit for our family, 1978 River Country and MK (honeymoon), March 1989 first WDW visit for my three sons, Jan. 1996 Poly, Jan. 2000 AS Sport and Disney Institute Bungalows ( now SSR), April 03 AKL, Aug. 04 Pop, April 05 AKL, Aug. 05 Pop and BC, April 06 WL, Sep. 06 POFQ, April 07 Poly, August 07 BWI, October 07 POR, Dec. 07 OKW. Feb. 08 CS, April 08 WLV, June 08 OKW and AKLV, Nov. 08 AKLV (solo trip!), Feb. 09 SSR, May 09 SSR (DoD tour - solo!), Oct. 09 BCV, Jan. 10 OKW for my birthday!, April 10 AKLV, Aug. 10 WLV, Dec, 10 WLV and ALKV., April 2011 POFQ, June 2011 AKLV Club level and Kidani Village, Nov 2011 OKW, June 2012 AKLV, Oct. 2012, CBR, April 2013, BWV, Oct. 2013 VWL, AKL Kidani Village May 2014, WL Aug. 2014, Art of Animation Oct. 2014
Luvsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bee

Thanks for the replys..
and I will contact you luvsun..
My Previous TripsJust started counting…..Many florida trips with the family before then.. WDW Jan 2008 - Condo with neices and nephews WDW Nov 2008 ASMusic (birthday solo celebration) DL Nov 2009 (birthday celebration) WDW Aug 2009 SSR (Marissa's birthday celebration) WDW June 2010 Fort Wilderness Cabins (trip with mom and dad) WDW Nov 2010 Carribean Beach (birthday celebration - me & dad) WDW August 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Friend Reunion me, Marissa, Betsy, Juliana) WDW August 2012 Pop Century (solo trip) WDW November 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins (Birthday trip, me, mom and dad) WDW November 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge with husband. (he hated it :()
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

We were thinking about moving to Florida, but we were told the school systems were not good. We are considering moving to either North or South Carolina.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJuly "07" WDW All-Star-Movies/ Feb 27-March 3 "08" All-Star-Music/ August "08" All-Star-Movies/ January "09" French Quarter Port Orleans/ June "09" CBR/ Oct "09" Pop Century/ August 18-29 2011 PoP Century/ January 20-23 2012 PoP Century/ August 8 - 20 2012 ASM
EddieCVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Concierge Level: 6
Schools is SC are not ones to move here for. There's an abundance of private schools here since the public schools are severely lacking quality. I would take Orlando schools over SC schools anyway.
DHayesJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Concierge Level: 6
Sorry, last word should have been any day instead of anyway.
DHayesJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Can't wait until we retire because then we become snow birds and fly away from the yucky winters!!!
My Previous TripsDisney has always been a part of vacations!!!
cdnmickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

We moved to Orlando (from MA) five years ago and I have never been happier. Thankfully we secured good jobs before moving here so that was not an issue but I certainly would not move here without a job lined up as the cost of living, especially in Orlando is not exactly cheap. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!

My Countdown Counting down to: 15th Anniversary in Hilton Head
Where to next?
My PassPorter Bookshelf
WishIwasinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Bee

thanks I don't plan on moving unless I have a job.. I found a job in california working for the mouse but really don't want to live in california! ...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

If you'd be willing to consider a move to Georgia, I highly recommend the Gwinnet County schools. Not all are great, but most are.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
GATechGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

My kids want to move to Florida. I tell them WDW is not what all of Florida is like. I have been to a lot of areas in Florida and its like anywhere else, good places and bad. If I were moving I would get in touch with someone who I could trust and knows the area so I didn't end up somewhere I didn't want to be.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote