Gift Registry Vent - Page 2 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Honestly, when it comes to including registry info in the invitation, I have always assumed that the person or couple is doing it to be helpful to people and in no way are "gift grabbers". If I thought that was the intended purpose, then I'd have to question why I was friends with someone like that in the first place. I like to think that the vast majority of my friends (and people in general) have their hearts in the right place. It helps me sleep at night.

Me and DH Kyle in Natal, Brazil to see the US beat Ghana!!
My Brazil World Cup 2014 PTR: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4321335
My Countdown Counting down to: MNSSHP and our first stay at Saratoga Springs!
53 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashli View Post
Honestly, when it comes to including registry info in the invitation, I have always assumed that the person or couple is doing it to be helpful to people and in no way are "gift grabbers". If I thought that was the intended purpose, then I'd have to question why I was friends with someone like that in the first place. I like to think that the vast majority of my friends (and people in general) have their hearts in the right place. It helps me sleep at night.
THat is how I look at it. It is very easy to pick a gift off the registry if you are in a hurry or not around the recipient that much. Also, sometimes the places that offer gift registry give special discounts on items that are not purchased by the guests and they make it easier for returns. Including a registry is not like holding a gun to someone's head and saying "BUY ME A GIFT"; it is just a tool to help you if you so wish. My DDinlaw lets our grandson make one for his birthday and it is wonderful. Eliminates everybody calling and asking "what does the boy want for his birthday?". Plus I have heard many of the younger members of the family talking about how much fun it was walking around and scanning anything they though might be cool to have! I also think it is fine to buy something you just want to give.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOrlando/Daytona Beach 1997 WDW Jan 2000 WDW(visit Daughter) June 2000 WDW Dec 2001 WDW/Universal Dec 2007 WDW April 2010 DCL Magic Nov 2012
mcneal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

If there's something you really want to give, by all means give that. If you're stumped, the registry is your friend.
Goodness knows there were thing on my registry that I thought I had to have and never used. So they're no guarantee either.

My Previous Trips1974 w/mom and best friend -- 1976 w/parents -- 5/2002 ASMo DD's 1st visit -- 11/2002 ASMo w/hubby and the Princess (2 trips that year - what luck!) -- 2005 POP holiday trip -- 2006 ASMo w/ DH, DD, B and SIL for niece's graduation -- 2/2009 DLR -- 11/2009 ASMu -- 11/2010 POFQ & 12/2010 POP -- Non-Disney trips: too many to mention
Carousel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
I hardly ever buy from a registry. I like to give something I feel is more personally from me and my family.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Baby registries don't mean too much to me. All I wanted when I was pregnant was diapers & wipes. I had enough diapers in every size imaginable for the 1st year (I was also purchasing weekly myself). Anywho, I usually always go for the "swing"....that's my go-to gift because I know how much of a life saver it was when my daughter was a baby.

My Countdown Counting down to: 6th Trip to Disney!
22 days, 8 hours, 22 minutes
My Previous TripsJune 2009 @ AKL, Sept 2010 @ CBR, Sept 2011 @ CSR, Aug 2012 @ Poly, Aug 2013 @ POR Royal Room, Aug 2014 @ CBR
PhilsEagles08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Recovering VMK Addict!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
I hardly ever buy from a registry. I like to give something I feel is more personally from me and my family.
I also rarely give from the registry. For weddings we always give money and a Christmas ornament or decoration so the first Christmas they have something they don't have to buy. For a baby I always give diapers, either disposable or cloth depending on their plans, and something with Disney because you can't have a baby with no Disney.

Robin aka Fortissimo Guide for: Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans, Getting There and Back, Central Florida Attractions, and Running at Walt Disney World
My Countdown Counting down to: Harvest Moon 70.3 Half Ironman
37 days, 9 hours, 22 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR 6/1976 & 3/1986. WDW offsite Sept. 1985, Jan. 1988, Dec/Jan 1990/91, July, 1999. Enough of the off-site stays! CBR June 2000; PO-R June 2002; POP, CBR and Daytona Beach June 2005; 40th b-day celebration PO-R & AKL, June 2006; POFQ, Daytona (to watch Stinky win Nationals!) and back to the Fish (Dolphin) 2007.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 1
My niece's baby shower invitation included a note about their having registered at Pottery Barn Baby. I was buying a gift for myself and my 4 daughters so I spent about $120. On what? On a shower curtain, liner, and shower curtain rings. Yes! That's how much it cost at Pottery Barn. I was embarassed that guest would thinks "oh.. a shower curtain..." not knowing what crazy prices Pottery Barn has.
My Previous TripsOff site, 1977. Disney Village Townhouse, 1994. Fort Wilderness Cabin, 2000. PO Riverside, 2004. Magic Cruise, 2006. Saratoga Springs, 2009. Boardwalk, 2009. Beach Club 2010, Yacht Club 2011.
Cheriemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheriemek View Post
My niece's baby shower invitation included a note about their having registered at Pottery Barn Baby. I was buying a gift for myself and my 4 daughters so I spent about $120. On what? On a shower curtain, liner, and shower curtain rings. Yes! That's how much it cost at Pottery Barn. I was embarassed that guests would think "oh.. a shower curtain..." not knowing what crazy prices Pottery Barn has.
Not only crazy expensive, but that seems kind of a weird thing for a baby registry. Since it was Pottery Barn Baby, I'm guessing it was really cute and part of baby-inspired theming for the bathroom? I'd love to hear what it looked like, and I'm betting it was the most adorable bathroom ever.

I totally get what you're saying, btw. I once spent something like $100 on towels from a bridal registry. They were nice towels, sure, but I was hoping folks would realize the big-time investment in something to dry off with.

Ginger

New student at MU!
WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
Disneyland(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 (DS19 & me!)
My PassPorter Bookshelf
GingerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

We registered for our little one because we had nothing for baby #2 (11 years after baby #1), and it helps people figure out a starting point, theme, etc. One of the major reasons is that I work at a high school where the staff throw showers for anyone expecting or engaged, and it helps the coordinator choose items that we want and will use.

The smaller items we put on there were added to match price points for everyone. The larger items were put on there for mother-in-law who lives five states away, or for my staff who pool money for the showers.

Also, I like when invitations include registry information. I am a bit shy and would hate to ask about gifts.

Additionally, I will say that from the other end, the hand-knitted blankets and the cute little frames are nice, but we NEVER used them. We have a very small house and all that did was clutter it up, I hate to say. Additionally, I would steer away from the ornaments and leave that up to the parents. I would have preferred to pick out my own (and yes, we received one... not our taste, though). And there's always the possibility you'll get more than one.

The Mickey stuff is a great idea. When it comes from the heart with a specific reason, that's another thing altogether. Let's say grandma makes quilts, and everyone in the family has a quilt, and now it's baby's turn. That's something altogether special and wonderful. But we got no less than 5 crocheted blankets bought only because they were cute that sat in a drawer because they were impractical to use.

If all else fails and you want to surprise them and still give them something they need... My go-to gift in that case is stamps! They'll be needing to mail birth announcements and thank you cards, and probably haven't included that on the registry

"There are moments of life worth purchasing with worlds."

Pre-Trip report 2013 : http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ne-2013-a.html
My Countdown Counting down to: Baby Boy #3 scheduled to make his debut!
108 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJanuary 1991 (off-property); June 2010 (St. Augustine/WLV); March 2011 (POFQ, Girls ONLY!); August 2013 (WLV)

Last edited by hstrygrl; 02-17-2013 at 10:28 AM..
hstrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote