Gift Registry Vent - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Sunroom: Fun, Games, and Chat
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
Gift Registry Vent

Okay, I can see the usefulness of gift registries. Cuts out any questions, makes returns unlikely, etc. One of my favorite nieces is expecting a baby in early June and we just got the invite to her shower (I can't go, I work the night before and the night of, but will still send a gift). Here's my issues though:
1. It just feels like a demand for items.
2. If I follow the registries, I don't get to look for "just that right gift".
3. There have been plenty of gifts I've received over the years I never asked for. For the most part, they've all been great - and often nothing I'd have thought of.
4. There is no surprise for the recipient. In this case, my niece can look up everything that's been purchased. She KNOWS she's going to be getting those items.

I understand, it's nice to know you'll get the things you want. But isn't it also nice to just get something you didn't even think about and it's a wonderful gift?

So, the question is: buy her only what's on her lists (things from very reasonably priced to "holy mother of God, what is she thinking?"), buy her what I want to - and darn it with the list, or a combination of both?
Oh - and the place she's registered is an hour drive from me, although they will ship for a fee.

Last edited by Teresa; 02-15-2013 at 02:14 AM..
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

In the case of a new baby, I think a gift registry is an excellent idea, because the new mother does NOT want to get six nearly-identical car seats.

Thus, the kind of things that should go on the registry, IMO, are those kind of essentials, that the family won't want lots of duplicates of.

There's also the case of, some of the gift-givers may have no idea what to give an expectant mother. When my sister had her baby, that was me: I'd never had reason to send a gift for a baby shower. So, her registry was very useful to me.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
In the case of a new baby, I think a gift registry is an excellent idea, because the new mother does NOT want to get six nearly-identical car seats.

Thus, the kind of things that should go on the registry, IMO, are those kind of essentials, that the family won't want lots of duplicates of.

I agree with that. However, I always thought it was the parents' responsibility to buy the carseats, etc. Barring that, the grandparents' (who would hopefully be in contact with the parents and know what they wanted). Even so, knowing what larger ticket items might be wanted so you could contact others in the family and go together on one large gift might be nice. It's the other things that get me:
The gift registries that we've gotten in the last few years for weddings, baby showers, and graduation parties (yes, even high school grads are signing up for on-demand gift lists) included some very mundane things. Baby shampoo, diaper wipes, bibs, baby socks, (baby), a broom, wooden spoons, rubber spatulas (wedding), notecards, pens, notebook paper (grad - I guess preparing for college?)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I agree with that. However, I always thought it was the parents' responsibility to buy the carseats, etc. Barring that, the grandparents' (who would hopefully be in contact with the parents and know what they wanted). Even so, knowing what larger ticket items might be wanted so you could contact others in the family and go together on one large gift might be nice. It's the other things that get me:
The gift registries that we've gotten in the last few years for weddings, baby showers, and graduation parties (yes, even high school grads are signing up for on-demand gift lists) included some very mundane things. Baby shampoo, diaper wipes, bibs, baby socks, (baby), a broom, wooden spoons, rubber spatulas (wedding), notecards, pens, notebook paper (grad - I guess preparing for college?)
I think people put mudane things on the registry in order for smaller ticket things to be on there. That way everyones price point is included. Imagine if the only things on the registry were big ticket items...that would look even worse than just having the registry itself.

To answer your question though, I just went through the same thing. I have a shower to go to myself in a few weeks, and there was a gift registry in the invitation. I went and looked at the stuff and there was nothing there that caught my eye. Also, being a mom myself, there are things that I feel are life savers when you're a new mom and of course, they weren't on the list.

I ended up buying what I wanted to give as a gift and that is what you should do as well. Whether the person on the registry agrees or not, I view registries as suggestions for gifts if you need them, but it's your choice to use them or not.

I ended up buying the Mickey onsie set with the personalized hat with ears online at the Disney Store. I couldn't resist. I also got an 18" Mickey stuffy to go with. I figured my little great nephew (wow, great nephew and I am so young!) will be Mickey and have a Mickey. Plus, what a better gift from his DIsney addicted aunty and uncle than Mickey stuff, including something he can keep forever.

My Countdown Counting down to: Back to School
Bu-bye!
My Previous TripsWDW off property 9/1989- as a kid; WDW POP 3/2005-w/extended family; WDW MNSSHP POP 9/2009-w/family and mom; WDW MNSSHP POP 9/2010- w/ mom girls trip; WDW POP 9/2011-1st family trip alone; WDW MVMCP POP 11/2012- First meeting with Dana for FINI2;
OneLittleSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Personally, I like gift registries, especially if it's for someone that is not a super close friend or someone that I do not see often and do not know what they already have/do not have. Also, as Pax mentioned, I've never had a newborn baby, so I'd rather get the mother something she really needs and not just something I thought was cute but may not be as useful. Are there some people who are very close to me that I would still rather search out the "perfect" gift for even if it's not on their registry? Sure. And I do. But I think registries definitely have a place. Sometimes I wish my niece and nephew would register for Christmas as I'm not at their house super often to see what they already have and if I ask them what they want or are interested in, I am always met with a " I don't know."

Me in Natal, Brazil in front of the largest cashew tree in the world
My Brazil World Cup 2014 PTR: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4321335
My Countdown Counting down to: MNSSHP and our first stay at Saratoga Springs!
33 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I see no problem with giving a gift that is not on a registry if you know what the recipient would like. I was reluctant to do a wedding registry because I did feel like it was asking for gifts and asking people to get things we would otherwise get ourselves if we really needed. However, because many of our guests were out-of-town relatives and friends of our parents who didn't really know our taste, I ended up appreciating the registry because it allowed those people to get something that we would use. Some friends of my mother-in-law sent a serving platter not on our registry from a store where we had a registry. It was not to our taste at all -- I think it had an apple notice, but it really looked like worms.

When people who know us sent offregistry gifts, though, I really appreciated it because they chose items we wouldn't have thought to get ourselves. (A mail holder with our name on it was one of our favorites.)

Baby gifts are a bit different, because most people giving gifts either know the parents or know what babies need. The main advantage of a baby registry is avoiding duplication, and showing a theme for the nursery if there is one. Duplicates didn't bother me, though, because we went through multiples of almost everything anyhow.

So, there is no need to order off a registry if you are confident your gift will be appreciated, but there is also good reason for people to set up registries for use by people who want to give a gift but don't know what.

Melissa
My Previous TripsWDW offsite December 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988; DL 1995, 1996; WDW Boardwalk Inn May 1997, January 2000; WDW Boardwalk Villas September 2001; DL Hyatt May 2002; WDW Beach Club/DCL Wonder October 2002; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge October 2004; DL Hyatt August 2005; WDW Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder February 2006; DCL Magic Western Carib. January 2007; WDW Boardwalk Villas October 2007; Animal Kingdom Lodge/DCL Magic Eastern Carib. January 2008; WDW Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach June 2008; DL Grand Californian June 2009; DCL Wonder January 2010; WDW Boardwalk Villas June 2010; WDW Saratoga Springs October 2011; DCL Dream January 2012; DL Grand Californian Villas June 2012; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo November 2012; DCL Magic Mediterranean June 2013; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL Magic February 2014; WDW Saratoga Treehouse Villas August 2014
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
The only time I've ever come across them over here is for weddings and I find them really helpful. Ours worked so well for me and I could find out who was buying what and I did. I noticed that someone bought us just about all the dinner set we wanted. We'd assumed people would buy little bits and when I found out what they'd done, I honestly cried, I was so overcome, so personally I don't have a problem with them. I'm going to ask my nephew, who's getting married in April, if he's doing one and I'll buy off it, as it makes my life a lot easier - I know I'm getting them something they genuinely want and will appreciate.

Enjoying formal night on the Magic on our magical Mediterranean vacation - the trip report for our Mediterranean cruise is now underway. The trip report for our weekends in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: A new season of Doctor Who
2 days, 20 hours, 30 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6
Registries are, indeed, useful, but here's the thing: They should not be included in the invitation! That's a gift grab .

Wedding invitations are sent to people whom you'd like to share your happy event with, and are not a summons to produce a gift, although most people do send a gift. The happy couple can make gift registries all day long, but they and their parents only mention them if others ask what they'd like.

Showers are a bit different, in that the whole purpose is to "shower" the new couple or expectant parents with items to help them set up their new household or outfit the new baby. But I still wouldn't include the registry in the invitation. Again, the person giving the shower should have that info and give it out to those who ask for it. You're not required to buy from it, though. As Spark said, veteran or recent Moms are likely to know of great items a first-time expectant Mom would never think of.

I definitely wouldn't drive an hour to the store to get the items (unless there was a neat scrapbook store nearby).

Good luck!

Ginger

New student at MU!
WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
Disneyland(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 (DS19 & me!)
My Countdown Counting down to: I'm going to DisneyWorld!
18 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
GingerJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Personally, I would get a gift on the registry. Especially if she is a first time mom, these are things that she NEEDS because she doesn't have them. I know when my sister was pregnant and we threw her a shower not many people bought off the registry and she was was upset about it. She always said the registry was because these were the things she NEEDED and she ended up with a ton of clothes that my niece didn't even wear. Buy a gift your niece WANTS!
102 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJ View Post
Registries are, indeed, useful, but here's the thing: They should not be included in the invitation! That's a gift grab .
It is actually customary now to include where the bride or mom to be is registered in an invitation. As some one who has thrown her fair number of showers in the past few years, I checked to make sure this was the right thing to do.
102 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think that if you really want to give someone something personal, like a hand-knitted baby blanket or sweater, then don't worry about the registry, but if you are looking for ideas, then definitely head to the registry. I don't think a registry should be used as a demand for "these and only these" gifts are welcome.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

Wedding invitations and shower invitations are different things, when it comes to registries.

You definitely shouldn't include registries on wedding invitations:

Emily Post says: "But, there is no mention of gifts – not even “no gifts, please” – and never any mention of registry information on a wedding invitation. Information about registries is traditionally spread by word of mouth: The couple lets their close family and friends (usually the wedding party) know where they are registered, so that they can help answer questions from guests. As a guest, it’s okay to ask, even of the couple themselves."

Miss Manners & her daughter in Miss Manners’ Guide to a Surprisingly Dignified Wedding: “A gift is something that someone voluntarily does and chooses for you,” says co-author Jacobina Martin, daughter of Judith Martin, aka Miss Manners. “When you’re just handing out a shopping list, you’re saying, ‘We don’t care what you think we like.’”

On showers, the "authorities" disagree a bit. Miss Manners (whom I adore) says: "The vulgar practice of recipients choosing their own presents --the gift registry-- is common, and, perhaps not coincidentally, these are apt to be serious purchases, judged competitively."

Emily Post, however, says "Gift registry information should not be included on the invitation itself, though enclosing it on a separate sheet of paper is fine."

I generally side with Miss Manners and would not include a registry. I'm surprised Emily Post says to go for it on showers...I guess you pick the "authority" you trust the most.

Both agree, however, that registries are not marching orders, and guests may feel free to give gifts not listed on the registries.

New student at MU!
WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
Disneyland(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 (DS19 & me!)
My Countdown Counting down to: I'm going to DisneyWorld!
18 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
GingerJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Unless it is something that is very personal, such as a hand made item, I would go from registry. These are the things she has determined she needs and wants. I had a gift registry and so many people did not purchase from the registry, I really had to buy a lot of the items myself, while I ended up with so many outfits that he would never have to wear one twice before growing out of it. I also go so many blankets, bibs and burp clothes it was insane. At the very least, include a gift receipt if you do not use registry because she can take it back for something she really wants if necessary. There are many things as a parent I cannot live without, but I have to remember that each parent is different and what may work for you may not for her.

"Seeking the Sun" January 2013 Trip Report
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ip-report.html
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Offsite April 2001, WDW Offsite Jan. 2008, WDW Port Orleans May 2010, WDW Contemporary Dec. 2010, WDW All-Star Music Family Suite Jan. 2013, WDW Wyndham Bonnet Creek June/July 2013, WDW Pop Century Feb. 2014.
jlhill4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
I don't think a registry should be used as a demand for "these and only these" gifts are welcome.
Maybe this is why I feel like I do about gift registries. It seems as if the events we've been asked to in the last few years have all included lists of "only these gifts are necessary". I'm not universally opposed to registries - and if I don't know the couple well, I'll ask if they're registered somewhere.

I'm going to buy what I want. I may include something from the registries (she's registered at 4 or 5 places!!), but the bulk of it will be things I want to give her baby.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

There's nothing wrong with that, either. If you've got the insight and/or experience with weddings, babies, or whatever? Go off-Registry, dfinitely.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote